Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get opinions if a high end spinning rod is worth the money for tube and drop-shot fishing?
The big question: Are they that much more sensitive?

A little backstory.......
I've been fishing St. Clair for 2 years now. When we finally got a boat a couple years ago I had not fished in 10 years. Therefore, I went to a big box store and asked "give me the best smallmouth combo you can for $100 or less" the result, I've got a couple Pfluger President spinning combos. 6'6" Medium action. They've treated me pretty good, but I've got the bug to upgrade.

I've caught the majority of my bass on 3" and 4" tubes south of Metro and along the mile roads, so I'm looking for a specialty tube rig. I'll use my other poles for jerkbaits, crank baits, and spinners.

Any opinions on G.Loomis vs. St. Croix. vs Duckett?
Budget is ~$250

Thanks
BB

·
Registered
331 Posts
Looking to get opinions if a high end spinning rod is worth the money for tube and drop-shot fishing?

I've been fishing St. Clair for 2 years now. When we finally got a boat a couple years ago I had not fished in 10 years. Therefore, I went to a big box store and asked "give me the best smallmouth combo you can for $100 or less" the result, I've got a couple Pfluger President spinning combos. 6'6" Medium action. They've treated me pretty good, but I've got the bug to upgrade.

I've caught the majority of my bass on 3" and 4" tubes south of Metro and along the mile roads, so I'm looking for a specialty tube rig. I'll use my other poles for jerkbaits, crank baits, and spinners.

Budget is ~$250

Thanks
BB
I have a St. Croix Mojo Drop Shot rod. I love it. VERY sensitive and it is designed specifically for that. My other rods are the Skeet Reese yellow rods. The one's with the black handles have a life time warranty. I use them for all the other spinning set up's. I use the quantum Tour KVD rods for all my bait casting rigs. They also have a life time warranty. They are exactly the same rods that KVD uses on tour. I have been very happy with these rods. All these are between $100 and $150. You can get the best deals on Ebay - where I bought almost all of mine. Cabela's & Dick's Sporting goods has the Reese rods on the shelf so you can taste and feel first and then buy it on Ebay if you choose.

Pair these rods with the right line size and bait and it's a winner. And it's affordable.

Hope this helps you out some!!
Mike

·
Registered
95 Posts
Look at Dobyns. Champion and champion extreme. The extremes are sweet rods and you can often find them used on www.bbcboards.net for around $225. I use the champion 702sf for Ned rigs and spybait and the extreme 702sf for dropshots.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I agree with Joakes. The BPS carbonlites do the job quite well. I don’t fish tourneys so if I miss a few bites it’s no biggie for me. I’d expect a higher end rod may help you stick a few more bites on those tough windy days. In a tournament, landing those extra “felt bites” may pay for you in the end. I know it’s usually more about being in the right place than having the right rod but if it’s a confidence thing than use what you can afford. Jmho, be safe, FJ

·
Registered
43 Posts
Unless you are on the professional bass fishing tour and your livelihood relies on culling 25lb bags I can really see no reason for spending more than $150 on a rod... especially a boat rod... rods take a beating in the boat. What makes the higher end rods more sensitive is their thin wall technology and lightweight guides. Neither of which bode well for banging around in the rod locker awhile navigating a 2ft chop. $100-$150 rods are plenty sensitive (and durable) for the avid amateur angler.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I totally agree. For the weekend angler who rarely fishes a bass tourney, the extra money saved on a high end rod could be used on other essentials like food and water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
GREAT question! Let me reply with a different perspective. The answer may require you to be a bit introspective and look at it from a different angle. Are you convinced that there is a direct relationship between the price of a rod and its ability to put more fish in the boat? Or are you more the type that takes a holistic approach and likes to feel that buying a high end rod reinforces a commitment to excellence and adds to the overall enjoyment on the water?

I've been building rods for over 20 years now and have done the full gamut of blank prices from $40 to $400. And I've figured out that it's all about value. A few years ago I built up a St Croix bonefish rod for myself and splurged on a SCV blank that cost over $200. Did I really need that to improve my catch chances? Probably not. I have a couple of other inshore S/W rods that are much less expensive blanks and I catch just as many fish with them. The same can be said for my smallmouth blanks for Lk St Clair use. I will say though that it's hard to describe the feeling that I got when I caught my first bonefish on that rod. To me, it's special. It just enhances my experience when I'm out there stalking fish. The downside of that rod is that it has a size 4 tip and I have to be VERY careful with it when transporting or flailing it around the boat.

But back to the point. If you can afford a high end rod and you feel that it would add value to your fishing experience, then go for it. Just make sure to be educated on the performance specs of the rod (ask the salesperson or do the research online) and you may not regret the extra $$ spent on what just might turn out to be your favorite rod.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks all for bringing this post to the top, I totally forgot about it until now.
I certainly appreciate the feedback, great points all around.

So back in February I went to the Ultimate Fishing Show in Novi and ended up getting a 7'3" Daiwa Tatula Elite Medium-Fast spinning rod. One of the vendors had them 20% off, so I think I paid about $150. Nearly pulled the trigger on a more expensive G.Loomis IMX, but I figured a medium priced rod would be good middle-ground to see if it made that much of a difference.

Overall, I love the thing for bouncing tubes off the bottom. Its way more sensitive with the fast tip and the extra 9" in length makes a huge difference in casting distance. I've been out 4 times this year and have caught more smallies on this setup than anything else by a huge margin. Here's some proof, this bad boy was 6lbs and close to 22" long. Caught at the North End of Selfridge, 100 feet from shore.

Glad I made the upgrade to a specific-purpose rod.

Water Jeans Sky Boat Vertebrate

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

Budget is ~$250

Thanks
BB
As a former St Croix rod owner, my money is on Grandt Rod for tube fishing. The Cuda is lightweight and is sick how sensitive it is. The best part he has a lifetime warranty on it and what made me even consider it in the first place is blanks are made here in the US.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m just a weekend fisherman but I believe that the better you’re rod and reel is will translate into more fish you can catch!!!! And if that’s what you are looking for go for the best you can afford. But with that your going to have to do some upgrade on the reel also!!! If you buy a high end rod it’s a lot lighter and if you pear it with an heavy reel it will be awkward so make sure you get a descent reel for it.

·
Super Moderator
82 Posts
Agree 1basshunter.
It's amazing the difference in the sensitivity between a good quality rod and a lesser quality rod.
Really important when the fish are just very lightly tapping the lure instead of inhaling it. Also when trying to insure making contact with structure you're fishing. Nothing like working a bait and you can feel every rock, twig or plant that lure comes in contact with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts