Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my allstate policy is coming up for renewal, and they have all kinds of policy changes that made the extra price worth it to me. I was seriously overinsured, but to me i's worth it, Now they took all those provisions, and say thats not allowed anymore, plus they doubled my premium up to $3000 for the year, soooooo I've made probably 20 calls for quotes so far today, but they are all really busy counting the dollar signs, and will call me back later, or tomorrow, to tell me how much it's really gonna cost me for boat insurance.

State Farm wont touch my boat, so dont suggest them, but I welcome all the others. Its worth a shot, and I dont really feel like getting it out of state if possible.

Thanks in advance, Rob

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
We're still with Allstate. Our rate went up a bit with the new boat and is tied to our auto driving records. Our ages and the age of our boat may have an influence. As an aside, our homeowner's, also thru Allstate, more than doubled for 2003. We thought about changing, but it's easier to find house insurance than it is boat insurance.

They need to realize that just because a boat CAN go over 70 mph doesn't mean it ALWAYS does. People on OSO say good things about Sy Goldberg.

~Christine

·
Registered
585 Posts
We have our house....3 cars....2 boats through Allstate and yes our house insurance went up 200% last year, but they are telling me it had nothing to do with 9-11. (yeah right).
Anyway...our boat insurance did go up around $100 bucks for the year, but its worth not to have to hassle to try to get someone else to cover both boats...plus with Allstate you get the multi-insurance discounts too.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(Milord @ Jun 17 2003, 01:58 PM)Hey Rob, what about Sy Goldberg at Total Dollar that is always on OSO?
That's who I use.
Even though my premiums went up over 50% this year and they WOULDN'T COVER my blown engine . . .

I shopped around A LOT & couldn't find a better deal on a "YACHT" policy.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might as a last resort, he's out of state, and not too cheap either. I keep reading on oso of people paying less than $1000 and cant seem to find anything myself for a decent price. I dont mind paying what it costs, but when it doubles for no reason, after I a pretty good ammount to them for 2 full years, that's BS. Just looking for who some of you guys use and what it costs with a similar boat. Aggressorstorm, bill272 where are you?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I was speaking for Bill272. He's the "us" and "we" I was referring to.

~Christine (& Bill272)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried boatUS originally when I first bought my boat, just to get insurance for the loan. boatUS has policies that will make you lose your mind if you make a claim. I bought my boat new. If I break a drive or something due to an underwater impact, thier policy is it was new, now its used, and since its used, you get these used parts that we provide to your marina, and we only cover part of the labor, depreciation adjusted percentage from the new cost of your boat, to its current value. Not what I'm intrested in. My uncle owns a marina, and has had to deal with boatUS in the past, really hard to make anything right for the customer so I got rid of them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(freckles @ Jun 17 2003, 06:20 PM)I was speaking for Bill272. He's the "us" and "we" I was referring to.

~Christine (& Bill272)
I know that
I was typing in the last post when you replied Thanks for the responces, keep em coming, I've got 2 weeks to change insurance companies.

·
Registered
83 Posts
havent had to make a claim with them yet.
but did with AAA. snapped a shaft and lost a prop,
boat was fixed in 5 days but rates went up with them
after so i switched to BOAT U.S. thanks for the warning

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(pinemartin @ Jun 17 2003, 06:26 PM)thanks for the warning
yeah I was amazed when I heard that about boatUS myself, then I read my policy and said no way. I gotta try AAA I never have had them for anything before. I forgot about them.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Jun 17 2003, 01:08 PM)QUOTE(Milord @ Jun 17 2003, 01:58 PM) Hey Rob, what about Sy Goldberg at Total Dollar that is always on OSO?
That's who I use.
Even though my premiums went up over 50% this year and they WOULDN'T COVER my blown engine . . .

I shopped around A LOT & couldn't find a better deal on a "YACHT" policy.
het rob, talk to p29. he just switched this year, had a good $$$ savings...

·
Registered
13 Posts
My insurance is through Wolverine. The agency that its through is Global Marine insurance.

Most "normal" insurance companies wouldn't insure my boat because its too fast. Sad thing is that its not really that fast... 60 mph on glass.

They had the lowest premiums that I found

G

·
I had Boatus and for me, it was high priced and nothing but problems when I had a claim. As Christine said, we are with allstate and they have been great. I've had a couple of claims and they paid off in full and fast. I pay a slight premium for replacement value for repairs and parts, I think it's like $50/year. Well worth it in my book. When our homeowners doubled this year I called them and they said to call around, and that if we took our homeowners elsewhere, it wouldn't affect our boat policy. I have referred a couple of people to my agent, and he didn't help them out. I'm not sure what's up with that, but if you want the number, PM me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bill/Christine, I dont think Allstate would be any different from one agent to the next, but I'll try if you want to get me the agent's #

UncleDupie, do you have a number for them handy or a location I can look them up in the phone book.

With all this effort I'm hoping to find something. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate

P-29 where r u..... working probably, gotta go that occasionally

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
i will call p29, let him know to check out this thread tonight when he gets home, he is at the yard right now working.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Rob,
Call Gary Swiggett at Boaters Insurance Agency(1-800-344-7488) They're in Danville, California. They underwrite thru a huge commercial firm with an excellent rating. I asked how they could do this low of a rate and their reply was the underwriter does a huge volume of commercial stuff (like shrimp boats, oil derrick supply boate etc..) for them and can therefore give them a break on smaller craft.They did my 32' Fountain for about $500 annual agreed replacement, trailer etc with typical deductable. Now I do have 454's at the lower power spectrum and I'm probably a little older but they sure beat the price I was paying Performance Marine in Florida ( $1250)

I got this tip from the BoaterEd website two years ago.

ed

1 - 20 of 39 Posts