Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I need to cut a hole through the side of the boat, next to the shore power plug to install an inlet box for cable/phone. Whats the best way to cut through the fiberglass without any stress cracks or problems arising? I have already checked the area and there is nothing else in the way or hidden.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tape up the area first, mark your hole and start drilling in reverse until you are through the gel once into the glass and wood go foward. Make sure if you are using screws to mount the Item use a counter sink to make the hole larger than the screw body so it doesn't bite on the gel. This will cause cracks.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I needed a 2.5" hole for a box for the cable tv/phone connector. Ended putting it right next the shore power box and everything went well. She's all hooked up and pretty sure water tight.

No cracks or chips. Drilled my pilot hole first then put the hole saw in reverse and went throught he gel coat. Forward cut me right through the wood and I was in.

Thanks for the pointers. I can now make clean holes in boats.
And this is a good thing?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ May 19 2003, 12:19 PM)Thanks for the pointers. I can now make clean holes in boats.
And this is a good thing?

Just don't learn how to put a jagged hold in the bottom of the boat!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts