Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
These tours are SO KEWL and are a great source for decorating ideas!
We are planning on visiting them soon, wondered who else might be interested?

Edsel & Eleanor Ford House Holiday Tours

Webpage Link
Each room that is decorated in the season's best tells a unique story about how the Ford family shared holiday traditions.

In the Gallery, the home's largest room, a 15-foot Christmas tree is adorned by ornaments influenced by the time period and towers above festively wrapped presents and an electric train circling its base. Outdoors, the Fords' daughter Josephine's playhouse, built to three-quarter scale, is decorated for the holidays in the theme of Mother Goose nursery rhymes.

Holiday tours begin Friday, Nov. 28, and run through Sunday, Jan. 4. Tours are available 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday.

Admission is $7 for adults, $6 for seniors and $5 for children 6-12 years old; children 5 years old and under are free. The house is closed on Christmas and New Year's Day.

Meadow Brook Hall Holiday Tour
Meadow Brook Hall is often described as an American castle. It is the former residence of Oakland University founders Matilda Dodge Wilson, widow of automobile pioneer John Dodge, and her second husband, lumber broker Alfred G. Wilson.

The 110-room Tudor-revival style mansion was built between 1926 and 1929 and is especially renowned for its fine craftsmanship, exquisite architectural detailing and grand scale. This magnificent 88,000 square-foot mansion carefully preserved with original furnishings and art, portrays the lavish lifestyles and era of American industrialists of the early 20th century.

In 1957, the mansion and the estate's 1,500 acres, was left to what would become Oakland University. Matilda Wilson lived in the mansion until her death in 1967. Meadow Brook Hall was opened for tours in 1971.

Tickets are $8 for children and $20 for adults

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
We might be interested in the Ford Mansion...
Let me know when you are thinking.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does Sunday the 21st look for you? Meet for breakfast & get there by Noon?

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Put the list together, the Ford Mansion would be kewl.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've contacted their group sales dept. They are putting together some discounted tour options for us. I'll post them when rec'd.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I've done both year ago. Great slice of local history. You can also see both mansions on A&E America's castles series. Pencil me in although I won't know till we get closer to the date....you know one day at a time at this point.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I would love to with my girls....weekends are pretty booked up for me now <_< Would probably be a last minute thing....

did Meodowbrook last year and it's awesome.

If you want to see the largest home in the U.S., go to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, N.C. it totally rocks.......I am dying to go back there and spend the day.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
Steve, that sounds like fun. If i'm not too hung over from the friday/saturday x-mas parties, I would love to go!

Threecrabs, went to the Biltmore this past April - SOOO AWESOME! Had a ton of pictures of the grounds but lost most of them when I went to download them. Did you do the wine tasting? I can't wait to go back to stock up again & take more pictures!!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(soosassy @ Dec 5 2003, 03:01 PM)Threecrabs, went to the Biltmore this past April - SOOO AWESOME! Had a ton of pictures of the grounds but lost most of them when I went to download them. Did you do the wine tasting? I can't wait to go back to stock up again & take more pictures!!

NO~That is why I need to go back~I took my Grandfather up there when he was still alive. I only had my oldest daughter at the time. We got there when it opened and stayed to closing and never made it to the winery
We spent sooo much time in the house and on the grounds.....I really want to go back.

Grandpa used to go up there and hang out on the estate with friends when he was a kid....The winery was the barn they kept their livestock in, such as cows and stuff. The horses were kept up at the house stable though...I think if you read all the info it tells you that anyway....I bought a book on the estate when I was there if you would ever like to borrow it.

My mom's side is from down there...they live about 45 min. south of the mountains, out of Asheville. The Columbus exit off of I-26.

I think I'm going back over Easter break...they have a ton of stuff at the Biltmore at that time. I'll probably stay up in Asheville this time....I've never stayed up there before.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Dec 5 2003, 01:08 PM)How does Sunday the 21st look for you? Meet for breakfast & get there by Noon?
We are in! Haven't had breakfast with you since you moved out of Harrison Twp!!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I'm out. Found out last night , we are doing the birthday thing for my grandson that day.

I knew family would get in the way of partying.

I love the little guy! Wouldn't miss his birthday!

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(fit chick @ Dec 8 2003, 10:03 AM)Good luck getting up in the morning with hangovers after partying at my house the night before

PARTY? I must have missed the invite!

Just got a reply from the FORD people:

Steve,

Thank you for your interest in scheduling a group tour of Edsel & Eleanor Ford House. A group tour may be scheduled with a minimum payment of 10 guests. Group tour prices are as follows adults are $6.00, seniors are $5.00, children are $4.00, and children under 6 years are free. What time are you interested in arriving?

We require a two week notice to schedule a group tour so hopefully a decision will be made in the next day or two.

Have a great day1

Donna M. Buchanan
Group Tour Sales Director
Edsel & Eleanor Ford House
phone/313.884.4222 ext. 129
fax/313.884.4437
email/[email protected]
www.fordhouse.org

Can we make it to TEN, or should we plan on whoever comes just meeting there?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Dec 8 2003, 11:13 AM)QUOTE(fit chick @ Dec 8 2003, 10:03 AM) Good luck getting up in the morning with hangovers after partying at my house the night before

PARTY? I must have missed the invite!

Just got a reply from the FORD people:

Steve,

Thank you for your interest in scheduling a group tour of Edsel & Eleanor Ford House. A group tour may be scheduled with a minimum payment of 10 guests. Group tour prices are as follows adults are $6.00, seniors are $5.00, children are $4.00, and children under 6 years are free. What time are you interested in arriving?

We require a two week notice to schedule a group tour so hopefully a decision will be made in the next day or two.

Have a great day1

Donna M. Buchanan
Group Tour Sales Director
Edsel & Eleanor Ford House
phone/313.884.4222 ext. 129
fax/313.884.4437
email/[email protected]
www.fordhouse.org

Can we make it to TEN, or should we plan on whoever comes just meeting there?
I'm late sending them out, they go out today

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Dec 8 2003, 09:49 AM)QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Dec 5 2003, 01:08 PM)How does Sunday the 21st look for you? Meet for breakfast & get there by Noon?
Well, that wouldn't be MY fault . . . would it?

It only took over 6 months just to get an INvite to your new BEAUTIFUL PALACE!!

How 'bout the PANCAKE HOUSE on MACK at 11AM? Mack Ave is soooo gorgeous during the holidays!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Dec 8 2003, 11:23 AM)QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Dec 8 2003, 09:49 AM) QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Dec 5 2003, 01:08 PM)How does Sunday the 21st look for you? Meet for breakfast & get there by Noon?
Well, that wouldn't be MY fault . . . would it?

It only took over 6 months just to get an INvite to your new BEAUTIFUL PALACE!!

How 'bout the PANCAKE HOUSE on MACK at 11AM? Mack Ave is soooo gorgeous during the holidays!
yes, Definately your fault!!

It was just under 6 months!!!!

I love the pancake house, but do you think we will get in? Isn't there usually a 45 minute wait?

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't think THAT late in the day for breakfast would be too bad. If so, there's about a dozen other nice places along the road there to choose from.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts