Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a good solution to hook storage? I've tried to store the hooks separately in the plano boxes and they keep slipping/sliding under the inserts into one another mixing the hooks. I've tried just keeping them separate in the little bag things they come in but they only hold so many before they start to overflow. I've thought about maybe storing them in ziplock "pint" freezer bags to keep the sizes organized. Does anybody have a cool way to store them????

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've seen people use very small gauge wire or safety pins to keep hooks together. You can write the sizes on a small piece of tape to keep them organized. I don't know if this would solve the problem of keeping them from sliding under the dividers, but it seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jcheetam, you know what, that might be an awesome idea. Take like 5 big safety pins, and put your 5 different sized hooks on each applicable safety pin, then close each safety pin and put them in the plano box slots. Then either label the plano box slots with a marker or a paper sticky tab of some sort. This will keep them together, give you quick and easy access to them without hooks hanging up on each other and will also keep them from sliding under the slots into other hook slots because they're safety pinned together!! This might be the best deal ever. Can't wait to try it out!!

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
My personal favorite is a foam fly box....

It is easy access and the foam protects the point ensuring that they are sharp.

A buddy of mine likes to use empty film cases. I'm not as big on this idea or the safety pin idea because neither protects the point of the hook.

I believe a sharp hook is extremely important and the foam fly box is the best idea I could come up with.

A standard foam fly box holds hundreds of hooks and provides easy access for a quick replacement. Something I find very valuable in saving time on the water

·
Registered
175 Posts
A friend of mine uses a Plano box, I dont know what model it is though. Its a double sided box too. There are no inserts, everything is solid. He organizes all his hooks or jigs on one side by size and type, then on the other side he puts all his weights for texas riggin or carolina rigging. He also keeps his swivels in there along with the beads. It is very well organized and works great. After riding around Erie for a week, it never opened up nor did the hooks move from section to section in the box. If this helps, its a smoke colored Plano box, you can see through it also. Maybe BassPro has them?

God bless,

Jose

·
Registered
11 Posts
Basschaser,
I lined the inside lid of a Plano 3700 tackle box with 1/4" foam that is normally used between truck bed rails and caps. You can get a roll of it at menards for around 3 bucks which is enough material for 2-3 boxes. It comes in 2" wide strips, just peel off the backing and stick it on. The foam is real soft so you can still close the lid, yet is pushes down on the dividers so even small hooks don't get through and seals off the top as well.

tight lines
dan

·
Registered
927 Posts
i keep all my hooks organized on the front deck of my Ranger. if i need to find a hook, i just take my shoe off and start jump around. it had never failed me

madman himself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts