Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever gone House Boating on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. I just planned a trip there for August. Looking For the Hot Spots.

Also if anyone is else is interested there are still boats available for the weekend of August 13-16.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
house boated in lake havasu back in the day... college days... debauchery....

i hear lake cumberland is amazing!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I have friends that have done it...actually 3crab's jet ski went down on one trip (w/o us, lol). Saw the pics....looks like fun, but when isn't being on the water?

G

·
QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Apr 13 2004, 11:31 AM)Has anyone ever gone House Boating on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. I just planned a trip there for August. Looking For the Hot Spots.

Also if anyone is else is interested there are still boats available for the weekend of August 13-16.
I have a friend that lives in Cincinati, and he has rented one several times. He say's it is an awesome time. He also rents cottages on that lake too. Always have said I would go down there and join in the fun, but too much going on in the summer up here on our pond.

G

·
We've been there several times houseboating, but the most recent time was over 8 or 9 years ago. We took our 17' bowrider one time and our friends' mastercraft the other times and didn't really hit the "hot spots", but mostly did a lot of waterskiing. The last time we went we rented a condo at Jamestown marina because we didn't want to go on a houseboat with little kids. It's pretty cool, and a whole different kind of boating. With the houseboats, you don't throw out an anchor, you tie up to trees in a cove. The water is deep and in July and August, it's really too warm to cool off in. It's like bathwater. The main lake can get a little rough, but there's a lot of fingers, or creeks, that stay calm and are great for skiing. If you go - I'd definitely recommend taking a boat to run around in, and a lot of people will just park the houseboat in one cove for the weekend (or week) that they're there. Bring all the alcohol you'll need while you're down there. It's a dry county. Get a chart because it all looks the same - steep banks covered in trees, small islands, etc. A handheld GPS would be ideal too. We heard a guy who was lost on the VHF one time and when asked for his location, he said he was by an island with some trees on it. That narrowed it down to just about anywhere on the lake.

Cumberland was always fun, but we've been going to Norris Lake in TN lately. Good friends of ours (also form Cincinnati) built a house on it and it's a lot like Cumberland, except it has a nice air-conditioned house (without the houseboat generator fumes) and a blender at the dock.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I believe that's Sowder75 home lake before moving to the D. I'm sure he'd know every nook and cranny of it...just need to PM him and let him know that this thread is here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have a group of twelve going down the same weekend in August. Are you getting your boat from Jamestown Marina?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(hollie @ Apr 14 2004, 07:46 AM)We have a group of twelve going down the same weekend in August. Are you getting your boat from Jamestown Marina?
We are renting from Beaver Creek, But thats not far. We'll have to hook up. We also have 12. From what I hear 76 falls is the party spot so we will probably end up there at some point, and were bringing a 22' open bow for fun.

Also, Thanks Everyone for the Info.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We tried to get to the falls last year. Looked like a good time, but by the time we got there, there was no way to get our 80 foot houseboat tied up. So get there early. I'll bring a bunch of LSCN coozies, so keep your eyes peeled for those.

·
Registered
317 Posts
QUOTE(hollie @ Apr 14 2004, 09:09 AM)We tried to get to the falls last year. Looked like a good time, but by the time we got there, there was no way to get our 80 foot houseboat tied up. So get there early. I'll bring a bunch of LSCN coozies, so keep your eyes peeled for those.
I'm with this group went last year and we had the best time!! We defintley should meet up~!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Smalls @ Apr 17 2004, 09:19 AM)[I'm with this group went last year and we had the best time!! We defintley should meet up~!

It sounds like a great lake, should be a good time. And the more people the better.

We should be able to hook up VIA radio, we will call for LSCN.

See ya there!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts