Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking about my own move to the area, and my motivations which were driven partly by the nearness of Lake Saint Clair.

I wondered what stories others might have about the life-changing aspects of the lake we all love.

I've yet to surrender to her waters, though I hope to soon.

How about it, how has the Lake changed your life?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
honestly?... It made for me, living here in Michigan without family and in the beginning...no friends ...bearable. and now enjoyable... so much so, that it would be hard to move back home... even if I could...

·
12,052 Posts
After boating on LSC for about 16 years, I would have to say that my liver is probably almost shot with all the drinking I've done out there, and I could live in a mansion with all the money I spend to operate my boat. Was/is it all worth it?

You bet!

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 23 2003, 06:17 PM)After boating on LSC for about 16 years, I would have to say that my liver is probably almost shot with all the drinking I've done out there, and I could live in a mansion with all the money I spend to operate my boat. Was/is it all worth it?

You bet!

Hammer, A True Boater !

yes, i grew up on it, so it has always been in my life ever since i can remember.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
<_< Well, Everytime I open my wallet I'm out of money and everytime I open the Fridge, I'm out of Beer...

I Love this Sh!t!!!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
For the last 15 years I've been Ignoring her call. Grew up as a kid. Hit the teen years, got into car (WHY? Can either go straight...in circles, and nuttin but trouble)

My grandma died 4 years ago and that re-united me with my cousins...they have a boat...been jonesen ever since!

NEXT year for sure!!!

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(TheWiz @ Jul 23 2003, 06:28 PM)
Well, Everytime I open my wallet I'm out of money and everytime I open the Fridge, I'm out of Beer...

I Love this Sh!t!!!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Distant Horizon, I have to say this is probably one of the best original threads in a LONG time!!!

VERY personal for me. I grew up in the sticks and had no clue what LSC was all about. My Mom started dating (and eventually married) a guy who had a boat on Anchor Bay. Got to spend a bunch of weekends on his boat, going to places like Brownie's, Jack's Bayview Lounge, The Buccanneer and the Raft. Something totally clicked in me with that lake!

My real Dad was not/will never be a LSC type guy. More of a hunter (nothing wrong with that) but he and I never saw eye to eye and I rebelled against him, wishing like crazy I would end up fortunate enough to have even a row boat on a great lake like LSC!!!

I met my wife and found out that she grew up on a canal in St. Clair Shores!!!! She spent her younger years in the summer on her family's boat. True love, right??!!!

So my Mom married the guy with the boat, moved form Lake Orion to a canal off the North Channel! And my in-laws have a boat on a canal in the Shores!! And now I've been blessed with being able to get a nice used boat and can carry on the "family" tradition, raising my son on the water.

How has the lake changed my life? In more ways than can even be imagined! IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
It turned me into a water addicted alcoholic! Weekend warrior so to speak.......Wish I was out there every night.....I'd certainly have a big inner peace if I was.

I cannot imagine life without going out there. It's my home.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
gave me a better place to dump the bodies...oh wait...um, i mean, uh...

jk!! i'm a water baby, and now it takes me 5 minutes to go to the beach instead of 30 min. got friends with boats...love it!

changed my life? nah. just easier to sun now!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hey there all

Great thread. I have been boating on LSC for 7 years now -first with a 18' Four Winns that we used to put in at the DNR Launch on S River Rd - then we discovered Metro Beach.

Traded up to a 21 foot Regal w/cuddy and started to do some overnights in the back of Fisher Bay. Bought a 28' Four Winns this year and am still loving the lake!

I think M - F we all manage so much stress, for me to get on the water for the weekend brings my blood pressure down enough to face another week at work! It isn't exactly easy for me to get here either - I live in London, ON which is about 75 mins east of Port Huron.

Good friends, good times - that's what is about for me. Nothing better than being anchored in the lake end of Chenal a Bout Rond, listening to NPR, cooking breakfast on the deck, and listening to all of the sounds of the lake around you. Gets me totally recharged.

Scott.

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Been boating for 11 years now and LSC kept calling me back. This year we bought a bigger boat (last one was18 ft) and did not even bother looking for a trailer. We love being in a marina and boating on St Clair. It totally recharges the battries after the work week and brings the family closer (....need bigger boat...
). Because of it and the LSCN we have met a bunch of new friends this year and no price can be put on that.
Some peeps take vacations and trips we are on vacation every weekend.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Although many of my childhood memories are of going down to her shores to hang with friends. Watch the sunrise...go fishing, Kiss a boy.

The biggest and best way it changed my life would have to be that is were I first met my husband. I was only 18 so of course it wasn't Love then...we broke up for 8 years.

I once again found myself falling in love with him again on the beautiful Lake St.Clair. He proposed to me on her waters. She has always been a respected and cherished part of our lives, and now our children's lives.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
never had been to lsc untill i met my wife who lived in new baltimore, after that we used to take my dog swimming out where she lived , and sit at the boat launch and watch people come in and out , wondering what they did for a living to be able to afford one, .
after wife talking me in to buying a used bayliner that constantly need working on , i sold it and swore id never buy another boat again, 2 months later i missed it so went out and bought a brand new regal , 24 ft , its nice to be able to take out my friends and share the fun with family and co workers, by taking them out too , iam allwys broke on monday after beer and buying gas , and usually sign up for overtime more than i had in past to cover boat bills but its deffinitly worth doing it for the enjoyment it brings. now you cant keep me away from the lake iam in usally 1 st of april and out nov 1 st . rain shine what ever we go every sat , all thanks to my wife living by the lake , and bugging me to buy a boat ,

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have been boating since 1986. Besides being really old...this is my first year without a larger boat. I am still very much by the water every weekend going out to Harsen's Island. We still have the Mini Manana which is a BLAST...but its quite different from my past boats. I have had some great times on the lake...meeting soooo many people ...but I have had the best times with Manana II. So much so... that we decided to get married.

Taking this year off has been easier than I thought it would be of not boating as much ....but at times I feel like something is missing. Planning for the wedding has consumed much of our time. THANKS to all who have invited us out this Summer. We will for sure be scoping out things at the boat show for next year

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(bikinigirl @ Jul 24 2003, 08:50 AM)Although many of my childhood memories are of going down to her shores to hang with friends. Watch the sunrise...go fishing, Kiss a boy.

The biggest and best way it changed my life would have to be that is were I first met my husband. I was only 18 so of course it wasn't Love then...we broke up for 8 years.

I once again found myself falling in love with him again on the beautiful Lake St.Clair. He proposed to me on her waters. She has always been a respected and cherished part of our lives, and now our children's lives.
What the F*** do you mean you didnt love me then?????

·
Registered
622 Posts
this thread bings songs to mind:
QUOTEI was thinking about my own move to the area, and my motivations which were driven partly by the nearness of Lake Saint Clair.

It's not the pale moon that excites me
That thrills and delights me
Oh no, it's just the nearness of you....

If there's one thing in my life that's missing
It's the time that I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear water
It's kind of a special feeling
When you're out on the sea alone
Staring at the full moon, like a lover
Time for a cool change
I know that it's time for a cool change
Now that my life is so prearranged
I know that it's time for a cool change

Well I was born in the sign of water
And it's there that I feel my best
The albatross and the whales they are my brothers
There's lots of those friendly people
And they're showing me ways to go
And I never want to lose their inspiration

·
Registered
714 Posts
It gives us something to look forward too, all the nice peeps and lots of cold beer!!!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I grew up on Lake Michigan, so naturally when we moved to the Detroit area, I ended up moving to the Shore Club Tower St. Clair Shores. Then I met my husband at Jacks a few months later.
Our first date was on the Moneyshot, exactly 6 years and 5 days ago. We have boated just about every single weekend until this year. We are adjusting to our first year of non-boat ownership, which isn't as bad as I thought it would be!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I've always been drawn to this particular lake.

Moved from Detroit to Harrison Twp. When I was 11 and only lived there for 3 years, but it left such an imprint on me that when we lived out of state, I never ever really felt comfortable, at home or anything. Pretty much was a loner. On a whim I moved back to this area to own a boat, confront the past and just try life out. It has been the best, most fulfilling three years since then (just realized full circle in a way with 3 years each time) Almost instantly, friends appeared, and it's morphed and changed throughout, but much of it has centered around LSC. I love it and feel completely at home here.

Though, quite honestly, I don't see pursuing the party, muskamoot, jobbienooner lifestyle on it for very many more years. I would like a change in the approach to the water; perhaps some overnight trips, poker runs, regular nights during the week out... but I know I'll always find a home near or on it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts