Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Jul 24 2003, 11:14 AM)I grew up on Lake Michigan, so naturally when we moved to the Detroit area, I ended up moving to the Shore Club Tower St. Clair Shores. Then I met my husband at Jacks a few months later.
Our first date was on the Moneyshot, exactly 6 years and 5 days ago. We have boated just about every single weekend until this year. We are adjusting to our first year of non-boat ownership, which isn't as bad as I thought it would be!
hehe....

my first outting on the lake was a Moneyshot experience ...

Not the most glamorous of stories, but my mom was dating a real a--hole when I was 5 and he took us out on his houseboat and I ate about a half bucket of KFC and the rolling of the water made me sick and I projectile vomited throughout the guys cabin. He never asked my mom out again. So I guess the lake saved me from having an a--hole for a stepdad!

QUOTE(traveler @ Jul 24 2003, 11:35 AM)Not the most glamorous of stories, but my mom was dating a real a--hole when I was 5 and he took us out on his houseboat and I ate about a half bucket of KFC and the rolling of the water made me sick and I projectile vomited throughout the guys cabin. He never asked my mom out again. So I guess the lake saved me from having an a--hole for a stepdad!
Traveler should earn a coozie for the best story!!!

You always crack me up with your funny stories and antics.

QUOTE(pauligan @ Jul 24 2003, 10:18 AM)Though, quite honestly, I don't see pursuing the party, muskamoot, jobbienooner lifestyle on it for very many more years. I would like a change in the approach to the water; perhaps some overnight trips, poker runs, regular nights during the week out... but I know I'll always find a home near or on it.

That's the way I feel also Pauline. Going on a trip every other weekend with SPYC lets me enjoy many other areas of water and seeing all the beauty they have to offer. Last weekend I took a friend to Port Huron who usually only does the moot, they loved it SO much and couldn't believe how cool everything was and how much fun it was.

I think you got THE plan Hammer. Bash at the bay one weekend and tour the next.

Being on or even neer the water for an hour or so can undo a whole weeks worth of BS for me. Being out in the woods has the same affect. I don't know exactly why. But I love it.

Hanging with my new friends from this board gives me an excuse get out and enjoy it more often.

Before, I was into booze, carousing with loose women, drugs.
But now, I'm still into those things only I get up early twice a week to go fishing.

I have been contemplating this very thought lately......feel like being chatty today.........

Moved on the water 7 years ago. Started out 1st year w/ no boat just waverunners.....not bad summer but pretty depressing when everyone is going by on thier boats and your sitting in your backyard waiting your turn on the jet ski. <_<

2nd year started to get in the groove of lake living partying at all the hang outs getting rides on opb (other people's boats). Started getting boat ownership fever decided to look for a boat.....after looking at a gazillion boats decided to suck it up and get a nice brand new boat 31 footer.....whoo hooo were happening now......WELL.....we've never been the same since....We've had most of our arguments over that damn boat....Who's gonna wash it, who's gonna clean it and forget having people on that spill red sh*t on your carpet!!

And then there's the inviting of people on your boat. When Sat. morning comes and you thought you only invited a "couple" people 10 people show up and you have to explain to your husband how you only thought a few people were coming, you know your gonna catch some hell that day. To me more the merrier not quite the same w/ my husband......

I could go on and on.....about all the crazy "boatin people" we've encountered. We all sure do have a reputation to the outside/inland world.
All and all though, I love coming home down a long street looking at water on one side and have that feeling that I'm away from everything......I couldn't really imagine living anywhere else other than somewhere similiar where you hear the roar of boats going by, and of course there's nothing else like hearing Tom Gaserowski's Hustler's
loud thunder. And to raise your kids on the water I think is the coolest thing.....I wish I could have had these experiences minus the drunks and the crazy Moot people. But other than that I think it's a great way to grow up and enjoy your Summers.

I think you have to have a certain mind set to live on the water and be a "boater" in general. Although that boat has brought grief to my marriage at times we did have some pretty fun times like going to Put in Bay, and watching our friend who isn't used to boating puking over the edge after a long weekend there.
I've met some of the coolest people boating and well some not so.

But really isn't boating what Michigan is all about. If you are not boating or in the water somewhere what the hell are you doing........playing golf?

Wouldn't change it for the world......

I think we're really lucky to live in such a beautiful state. Not only because of the Great Lakes, but all of the inland lakes too.

I love to be out on the water ~ whether it's on a pontoon boat up north or a cruiser on the lake...it's a beautiful thing. Being able to take my children fishing anytime is pretty cool too

Now, if we could only have some mountains around us & I'd be all set!

I'll chime in...
My Grandfather raised my father as a boater, my father raised me as a boater, now I am raising my son as a boater. It is VERY fun, but it is more than that... It's about cherishing time as a family, leaving something better than the way you found it, handling mini-emergencies from a cut on a knee to blowing a port motor. I have spent every summer of my life on that water, this is my first owning my own... (my dad was very good at sharing his
) and when my boat went in the water in May, I was going through the harbor out onto LSC and said a little prayer to gramps... While not the most religious man, that was a religious experience. The fact that my 2 yr old wants to do nothing but boat puts a smile on my face every day.

Basically all of my childhood summer memories revolve around the lake. If I wasn't here on St. Clair I was on Houghton or Higgins lake with my Grandparents.

Too many memories to mention but most include my father who passed 6 years ago. We were out on the boat every weekend even if it was only to go to the well to sit on the boat. Summer passes too quickly so you have to squeeze in as much time as you can.

QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 24 2003, 11:44 AM)QUOTE(pauligan @ Jul 24 2003, 10:18 AM) Though, quite honestly, I don't see pursuing the party, muskamoot, jobbienooner lifestyle on it for very many more years. I would like a change in the approach to the water; perhaps some overnight trips, poker runs, regular nights during the week out... but I know I'll always find a home near or on it.

That's the way I feel also Pauline. Going on a trip every other weekend with SPYC lets me enjoy many other areas of water and seeing all the beauty they have to offer. Last weekend I took a friend to Port Huron who usually only does the moot, they loved it SO much and couldn't believe how cool everything was and how much fun it was.
I think both of you make very valid points. Pauline and I were talking this past weekend as to where I saw myself in 5 yrs as far as boating. Taking this Summer off from boating has really given me a much different perspective on matters. I enjoy the Moot...but to me thats not boating. I enjoy going to different places, going to dinner, and entertaining friends on the boat. I want to go to places with characer and substance...not just binge drinking and partying. Don't get me wrong I enjoy that as well...just not all of the time. Sitting on a piece of fiberglass floating around in the bay every weekend is to me... sometimes a waste. There is so much more to see and do on Lk. St Clair, Lk. Huron and Lk. Erie. Just my .03

QUOTE(jewels @ Jul 24 2003, 01:21 PM)I have been contemplating this very thought lately......feel like being chatty today.........

Moved on the water 7 years ago. Started out 1st year w/ no boat just waverunners.....not bad summer but pretty depressing when everyone is going by on thier boats and your sitting in your backyard waiting your turn on the jet ski.

2nd year started to get in the groove of lake living partying at all the hang outs getting rides on opb (other people's boats). Started getting boat ownership fever decided to look for a boat.....after looking at a gazillion boats decided to suck it up and get a nice brand new boat 31 footer.....whoo hooo were happening now......WELL.....we've never been the same since....We've had most of our arguments over that damn boat....Who's gonna wash it, who's gonna clean it and forget having people on that spill red sh*t on your carpet!!

And then there's the inviting of people on your boat. When Sat. morning comes and you thought you only invited a "couple" people 10 people show up and you have to explain to your husband how you only thought a few people were coming, you know your gonna catch some hell that day. To me more the merrier not quite the same w/ my husband......

I could go on and on.....about all the crazy "boatin people" we've encountered. We all sure do have a reputation to the outside/inland world.
All and all though, I love coming home down a long street looking at water on one side and have that feeling that I'm away from everything......I couldn't really imagine living anywhere else other than somewhere similiar where you hear the roar of boats going by, and of course there's nothing else like hearing Tom Gaserowski's Hustler's
loud thunder. And to raise your kids on the water I think is the coolest thing.....I wish I could have had these experiences minus the drunks and the crazy Moot people. But other than that I think it's a great way to grow up and enjoy your Summers.

I think you have to have a certain mind set to live on the water and be a "boater" in general. Although that boat has brought grief to my marriage at times we did have some pretty fun times like going to Put in Bay, and watching our friend who isn't used to boating puking over the edge after a long weekend there.
I've met some of the coolest people boating and well some not so.

But really isn't boating what Michigan is all about. If you are not boating or in the water somewhere what the hell are you doing........playing golf?

Wouldn't change it for the world......

UHM.......Golf is good too.........
Try detroitgolfer.com~

QUOTEundefined I enjoy the Moot...but to me thats not boating. I enjoy going to different places, going to dinner, and entertaining friends on the boat. I want to go to places with characer and substance...not just binge drinking and partying. Don't get me wrong I enjoy that as well...just not all of the time. Sitting on a piece of fiberglass floating around in the bay every weekend is to me... sometimes a waste. There is so much more to see and do on Lk. St Clair, Lk. Huron and Lk. Erie.

Very well said Manana! I to like to go places, get around so to speak. If I want to sit in the Sun and drink all day, well, I got a real nice deck off the back of my house to do that!!

Lake St. Clair has shaped my soul into the person I am today. I am now fortunate enough to live on the lake and truly enjoy waking up to her every day.

The best thrill is the sense of adventure while visiting ports and spending time with the wonderful people. Have you ever noticed that boaters and lake lovers are the most sincerest and generous people? I formed many relationships over the last 16 years and most of them still stand today. Also the lake plays a major roll in my entertainment, I love showing the lake off to new guest and out of town visitors. The look on their face returning to port is priceless.

Since starting The Lake St. Clair Network I've had the great pleasure of doing business with the people I want to do business and work with. Now LSC and is shaping my future as well and it's only getting better.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.