Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this topic is a repeat a apologize. I don't remember seeing it and I could not find with the search function.

In my early years, I got hooked by spending time with my Grandfather, on his 36' Chris. I fondly remember trips to Boblo and Harsens islands, Cruising the Detroit River, LSC and just hanging around at the doc. I was a gear head and gadget freak even then and I'm sure I bugged him to no end with questions. How does this work, how does that work, what does this switch do, how do the wheels reach all the way to the bottom of the lake? I SAID I WAS YOUNG! Something about the sights sounds and smells of being on the water has stayed with me all of these years.

I can't believe that I have gone this long without owning one of my own. Hopefully next year.

How did you get hooked?

The parties?
The scantily clad members of the opposite sex?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
MONEYSHOT showed me the way! -

I didn't know too many people after moving here and honestly didn't care for michigan at that time... met moneyshot, went out on her boat the first day we met... instantly fell in love (with the water)...found an amazing new friend and decided Michigan wasn't so bad...never really looked back after that day... Lake St. Clair and Beth has made a huge difference for me...

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(Boater2be @ May 20 2003, 10:39 PM)If this topic is a repeat a apologize. I don't remember seeing it and I could not find with the search function.

In my early years, I got hooked by spending time with my Grandfather, on his 36' Chris. I fondly remember trips to Boblo and Harsens islands, Cruising the Detroit River, LSC and just hanging around at the doc. I was a gear head and gadget freak even then and I'm sure I bugged him to no end with questions. How does this work, how does that work, what does this switch do, how do the wheels reach all the way to the bottom of the lake? I SAID I WAS YOUNG! Something about the sights sounds and smells of being on the water has stayed with me all of these years.

I can't believe that I have gone this long without owning one of my own. Hopefully next year.

How did you get hooked?

The parties?
The scantily clad members of the opposite sex?
WOW! great topic! I don't think it's been around quite like this before. Boater2be, that's a great story. An even greater story will be when you get YOUR boat! In the meantime, it's nice to see some people still have that great respect for the lake, the water, whatever it is about boating; that even without a boat you keep that love for the water!

My Mom dated a guy with a boat. Before I was about 9 he would take us out on his boat on Lake St. Clair. As a kid I would fall asleep at the restaurant tables we'd hang out at (Brownies, Jack's Bayview Lounge, etc.) and I'd sleep on the boat, down in the V-bunk. He let me fish, drive the boat, taught me about the lake, everything! He ended up marrying my Mom, and he will be 80 this year (my Mom will be 48)!!! They still have a boat, live on the water and party like crazy!!! Most of the regular peeps will get to meet them this summer, as we tend to help each other find the fun stuff on the lake these days.

Anyways, I owe it all to his inspiration. Should I send him a thank you note or a bill for my boat????

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
My is an odd story.........

As a kid my uncles (2) in-laws had cottages on McDonald Island across from Harsen's right next to each other.

We would either boat over to it on my uncle's boats or drive to Harsens and they would motor over and pick us up.

I remember going into Fischer bay and bathing, swimming, (when my MOM and aunt wouldn't throw me in....thanks for the fear of water), fishing.... a lot of good memories with family and cousins.

Faded away from the family cause of High school I guess. That caused me to grow away from the water.

I meet my wife in the last months of High school. They were a boating family that just got out of boating. She has very fond memories of life on the water. The best they still laugh at today. Her dad just bought this new boat, size I do not recall, they were taking it to a marina to put her in the slip at then Blue lagoon. They were pulling the boat with a Dodge dart.... over the bridge by North river road. I guess you have to imagine this little car pulling this fairly large boat...it was a struggle.

Needless to say My grandmother pass in 2000. My cousin whom was one that we were with on the island (and also lost contact for a good 12 years) had a wake party for Grandma. They stilled boated. To this day we are rebuilding our relationship and they invite us out with them.

After seeing the great family building that takes place and the generosity of boaters, I realized I needed to give my family the same experiences that my wife had.

We personally do not have a boat yet...but we will very soon! Maybe later this year or next for sure

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I was a boat, wooowe! j/k!

Back in the 70's or 80's (whatever) we used to water ski from sun up to sun down over by Strawberry in my father in laws old '56 chris craft....then in the mid 80s we started going into Little Muskamoot and jet skiing......and had to get a boat! Done deal since. Also spent a lot of time as child on in land lakes here in Michigan. Also did a ton of fishing.......I liked it more than the guys! Never caught much, though! Must have been the beer's fault. <_<

Camp was a child bar fly!!!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ May 20 2003, 10:59 PM)Back in...'56....we started going into Little Muskamoot......and spent a lot of time on...guys!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ May 20 2003, 10:59 PM)I was a boat, wooowe! j/k!

Back in the 70's or 80's (whatever) we used to water ski from sun up to sun down over by Strawberry in my father in laws old '56 chris craft....then in the mid 80s we started going into Little Muskamoot and jet skiing......and had to get a boat! Done deal since. Also spent a lot of time as child on in land lakes here in Michigan. Also did a ton of fishing.......I liked it more than the guys! Never caught much, though! Must have been the beer's fault.

Camp was a child bar fly!!!

I'm going to re-name myself:

LL COOL C

'Cause even when I was a tyke, the "Ladies Love Cool Campari"!!!

Yeah I spent a LOT of time back in the early eighties drawing on the backs of paper menus at shore-side bars, while picking up dirty jokes from bulbus-red-nosed sailors and leathery boat-huers. Now I make my son do the same. Life comes full-circle, doesn't it?!!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ May 20 2003, 10:57 PM)My is an odd story.........

As a kid my uncles (2) in-laws had cottages on McDonald Island across from Harsen's right next to each other.

We would either boat over to it on my uncle's boats or drive to Harsens and they would motor over and pick us up.

I remember going into Fischer bay and bathing, swimming, (when my MOM and aunt wouldn't throw me in....thanks for the fear of water), fishing.... a lot of good memories with family and cousins.

Faded away from the family cause of High school I guess. That caused me to grow away from the water.

I meet my wife in the last months of High school. They were a boating family that just got out of boating. She has very fond memories of life on the water. The best they still laugh at today. Her dad just bought this new boat, size I do not recall, they were taking it to a marina to put her in the slip at then Blue lagoon. They were pulling the boat with a Dodge dart.... over the bridge by North river road. I guess you have to imagine this little car pulling this fairly large boat...it was a struggle.

Needless to say My grandmother pass in 2000. My cousin whom was one that we were with on the island (and also lost contact for a good 12 years) had a wake party for Grandma. They stilled boated. To this day we are rebuilding our relationship and they invite us out with them.

After seeing the great family building that takes place and the generosity of boaters, I realized I needed to give my family the same experiences that my wife had.

We personally do not have a boat yet...but we will very soon! Maybe later this year or next for sure

Hey Garydebs, when you, Debgarys, Little Garydebs and Little Debgarys come out with us on the boat this summer, we'll have to check out the old family spot on the islands! I'd love to see where you're talking about!

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
The character on the right, Mark Greiser introduced me to boating, if it wasn't for our childhood friendship this site wouldn't of exsited.

We were 16 and his parents owned a 34' Mainship and docked it at Bell Maer Harbor. They would let us stay on the boat during the weekend with little supervision. He was the only 16 year old that knew how to drive twin inboards blind folded. Yeah, a 16 year old. When Mark turned 18 we were allowed to take the boat out.

Needless to say teen dances at the marina, Metro and Gull were the places to be. We would venture with his parents to Boblo and Cedar Point and have the time of our life.

Even though we don't hang like our childhood, we still get together every once in a while and act like we were 16 again.

Mark, for all you do this post is for you!

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I was about 4 or 5 my Dad and Uncle (godfather) took me out fishing up north, on East Twin Lake, my uncle had a cabin he built himself with my dad's help up there. We'd pack up the boat in the early hours (the same one we have behind our garage now) We collected our bait traps and would be out there all day. I loved it! Then my Dad started taking me shore fishing at Memorial Park or 9 Mile Pier. Loved every minute of it. My favorite times were spent up north after fishing all day - we'd have an assemby line set up to clean the fish. Then have a big fish fry! After that we'd play cards (screw your neighbor)
until I fell asleep. Then next day we'd start fishing all over again. My Dad took me every year. I miss it!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Campari @ May 20 2003, 11:04 PM)QUOTE(threecrabs @ May 20 2003, 10:59 PM) Back in...'56....we started going into Little Muskamoot......and spent a lot of time on...guys!

<_< <_< Smarty pants! Do I loook that old??? I don't think so! In fact you are older than me! You old fart!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well, lets see. I've always been around boating. From early on fishing with dad to the 6 years on the really big pond, to where we are now. I will tell what got us on a boat in Lake St. Clair. that seems appropriate to this thread. Wife and I had been married 25 years or so (five years ago). We decided it was time to get a toy to spend time with and enjoy our off time. We considered motorcycles. I have had several over the years. She's always been the passenger. We thought it was time for her to have her own. I even bought her a used Yamaha 750 to start with. I was going to get a Harley. The more we thought about them though, the more we knew they wouldn't get the time we wanted to give them. So then we considered a cabin somewhere up north. Like Higgins lake area. We looked at several cabins. All of them I wanted to bulldoze and start over. We had been up there for a week looking at different ones, all with the same outcome. No thanks. So, we came back down here and Deb's brother asked us over for a day of boating with him. We went out and spent the day just goofing off. Going nowhere in particular. Swam, had a few beers, went out to eat. Typical day on the lake. When we pulled back in to the marina, the boat we bought was 2 slips down. That was that.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ May 20 2003, 11:16 PM)QUOTE(Campari @ May 20 2003, 11:04 PM) QUOTE(threecrabs @ May 20 2003, 10:59 PM) Back in...'56....we started going into Little Muskamoot......and spent a lot of time on...guys!

Smarty pants! Do I loook that old??? I don't think so! In fact you are older than me! You old fart!

You spiteful.... WOMAN you! How dare you give my age away!!!

No way am I older than you, I thought we had this discussion already!! We're close to the same age, but I think you were a couple years older!!

Arentcha??!!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(Campari @ May 20 2003, 11:09 PM)Hey Garydebs, when you, Debgarys, Little Garydebs and Little Debgarys come out with us on the boat this summer, we'll have to check out the old family spot on the islands! I'd love to see where you're talking about!

Absolutely...let me know. Always open for a boat ride! Let me know! They are right off the Middle Channel. Down from the ferry

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Well, I moved up into Harrison Township from 6 and Vandyke when I was 12 ish... and was first exposed to the water. Moved to Ohio when I was 15...... the draw of this area has always lingered with me.

3 years ago, I visited Michigan for a wedding and the next day was sitting at Metro with some friends watching the boats meander through and thought "those are the 'HAVES' and I am the 'HAVE NOT'" Within 6 weeks I had canceled the lease on my apartment and bought my '97 23 Searay OverNighter and moved back to Michigan... with NOT A CLUE how to operate a boat... I swear first time out I asked where the brake was. After two summers I sold her... happily!

edited for change in friend systems.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to get me into boating.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(The Warden @ May 21 2003, 08:51 AM)Heard it was a good way to meet chicks and get laid.
I didn't know that about you Patti.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
decided once that I'd brave the waters and venture out on my own.. revenge on my ex boyfriend.. for not showing up....big mistake. Had been out many many times, never without him though... figured it couldn't be that bad.... WRONG!

Ended up floating in the middle of the lake all by myself for hours!, too scared to take the thing back to the slip on my my own...

1 - 20 of 121 Posts