Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an all day anchoring for wed, the 25th and want to make sure that when I go to start the boat, I have battery power to do so. I would like to switch off the batteries for the engines and just run the accessories on the remaining battery.

Here are the switch test results I did today:
with blower motors running, I placed the switch on OFF and turned the key. The dc power shut off on everything including the blowers.

with switch on #1, I turned the key. Everything came back to life and both engines started.

With switch on #2, I turned the key and again , everything ran and I was able to start both engines.

Here is a poor, but accurate main wiring diagram for the batteries. Can anyone help and how they are wired? Thanks, Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there is no other switch other than the one shown.

I do have several smaller wires running from the port battery forward, along the bulk head and believe those may be for the accessories.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is the third battery grounded to the other two? If this is how your system is hooked up, then the third battery will always power your port engine, no matter what position the switch is in. You may want to add a second switch and make sure you have a ground back to the other two batteries that are already switched. I had to do this same thing when I first got my boat.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The third battery (port side) is grounded to the port engine block. It appeas I am going to have to add another switch or isolator in the sequence so I can safely run at least the radio and cabin lights (night time) and still be able to save at least one battery to start an engine, and then to be able to start the other engine fro the first, even if I have to utilize the "Emergency Start" booster switch on the dash.

Anyone want to come over and just take a look and point out some things to a non-electrician over a few beers? I'm at HCN.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WHEN!!!!

Other than going to the fireworks tonite. I am available as of right now all day thursday and should be on the boat from saturday through sunday afternoon.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jun 25 2003, 03:36 PM)WHEN!!!!

Other than going to the fireworks tonite. I am available as of right now all day thursday and should be on the boat from saturday through sunday afternoon.
Thursday afternoon works for me. I have something to do in the AM but should be done around 1:00. Give me a shout and we can meet there.

is the beer cold?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brian,
what is your schedule looking like for friday afternoon or anytime over the weekend?

I had a bit of a self inflicked accident wednesday night, and thursday found me hurting, BIG time.

Jim

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
Friday afternoon looks good as of now. Sat am is good and Sun is out. Plus isnt Sunday is your Anniversary?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is how my batteris are currently wired. I can use all three batteries as singles or in any combination. Something to remember, make sure you are connecting positive to positive and ground all three batteries together. If you connect them in series you will fry your electronics (positive to negative). I use the third battery as a jumper and usually have it set to off. I have drained the batteries with the stero and all you have to do is flip the 2nd switch and fire up the engine. It is a real lifesaver. I hope this helps out a little bit...

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Another thing to think of is getting a deep cycle battery for the one you choose to use as your "house" Battery. Deep cycles are designed to be drained farther than a starting battery (which is designed to give short bursts of mucho current).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts