Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
How in the heck do you guys keep from going bankrupt? I only bought a couple lures, some wire leaders, and some other misc stuff (including a detroit custom tackle hat
) and ive already spent over 100 bucks. Anyways, now that i have the basics, i really wanna try to catch atleast one decent sized fish before the water freezes over.

Can anyone help me out with either a general location and depth, or atleast what i should look for in a good muskie spot?

Also, i just bought a red eye, some sort of bucktail, and a loke to go along with my brunner runner. Is there any sort of special retrieve with any of these lures? And what depth do i want the bait to be. (for example, i can keep the red eye up high and fast, or lower and going slower)

Ive tried doing my own research, but it seems like everything i find refers to either trolling, or fishing in really deep lakes. If anyone can help me with any of these questions i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Sep 27 2009, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How in the heck do you guys keep from going bankrupt? I only bought a couple lures, some wire leaders, and some other misc stuff (including a detroit custom tackle hat
) and ive already spent over 100 bucks. Anyways, now that i have the basics, i really wanna try to catch atleast one decent sized fish before the water freezes over.

Can anyone help me out with either a general location and depth, or atleast what i should look for in a good muskie spot?

Also, i just bought a red eye, some sort of bucktail, and a loke to go along with my brunner runner. Is there any sort of special retrieve with any of these lures? And what depth do i want the bait to be. (for example, i can keep the red eye up high and fast, or lower and going slower)

Ive tried doing my own research, but it seems like everything i find refers to either trolling, or fishing in really deep lakes. If anyone can help me with any of these questions i would greatly appreciate it.

As far as american waters I've had luck in the dumping grounds. Boated two around 40" last trip out. Both came on a fiberglass moulded perch lure. Run them short about 40'-50' back from the boat. I'm no expert but worked for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Are U trolling or casting ??? What size boat and where are U launching out of ??? These info would help alot. Lately 9-12' of water seems to be the depth for casting, but there are alot of them caught in deeper water and there are some caught in 6-8' of water. As far as the red eye lure there is a certain speed to reel it in where the lure has a real nice wobble to it. As far as going bankrupt I started with 1 bucktail $11 and casted it all day 4-5hrs. Pick a lure up every week and remember that casting the bucktails catch more musky than any other lure. It sounds like U have a nice assortment to start with. From what ive read its not so much the color or type of lure, its getting the lure in front of a hungry musky face thats by far the important part. If the fish is hungry and it looks it will hit it. U just have to put the time in to find the fish, a little luck helps too. Next I would buy a good pair of 12"+ long nose pliers,cutters for hooks, net, jaw spreaders to open the mouth with etc. U have the tools to catch one, just be prepared once U get one in the boat, there is a big differnce between a 30" pike and a 45" musky. Good Luck too U.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, i should have mentioned, casting from the kayak. I have one of those anti-get-your-finger-bit-off gloves, and a pair of rapala needlenose. Im not wasting money on a bigger net, i figure im close enough to the water to either lift it into the boat, or unhook it while its in the water. I know it sounds nuts trying this out of a kayak, but ive studied how big game saltwater fishermen fish out of yaks, and i think ive got a system down that will work. Just gotta find an area that has some fish. Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Registered
478 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Sep 27 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry, i should have mentioned, casting from the kayak. I have one of those anti-get-your-finger-bit-off gloves, and a pair of rapala needlenose. Im not wasting money on a bigger net, i figure im close enough to the water to either lift it into the boat, or unhook it while its in the water. I know it sounds nuts trying this out of a kayak, but ive studied how big game saltwater fishermen fish out of yaks, and i think ive got a system down that will work. Just gotta find an area that has some fish. Thanks for the help fellas.

A really great place for you to fish in your kayak would be from Beacon Cove over to Metro. There are a lot of weeds in there that make it difficult to troll but it makes great casting. Be careful of the stiff South wind, however.

As far as remaining financially solvent, it is impossible. Just go ahead and spend every dime you make on muskie tackle and you will be a much happier person.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yeah I bought a new rod, two bucktails and a surface bait this season and spent about $200. Luckily I have a lot of confidence in those 3 lures, and if one won't hit them, I feel that I am not near any active fish. I don't fish enough for them to justify having $1000 worth of lures.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(heinie @ Sep 27 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Sep 27 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry, i should have mentioned, casting from the kayak. I have one of those anti-get-your-finger-bit-off gloves, and a pair of rapala needlenose. Im not wasting money on a bigger net, i figure im close enough to the water to either lift it into the boat, or unhook it while its in the water. I know it sounds nuts trying this out of a kayak, but ive studied how big game saltwater fishermen fish out of yaks, and i think ive got a system down that will work. Just gotta find an area that has some fish. Thanks for the help fellas.

A really great place for you to fish in your kayak would be from Beacon Cove over to Metro. There are a lot of weeds in there that make it difficult to troll but it makes great casting. Be careful of the stiff South wind, however.

As far as remaining financially solvent, it is impossible. Just go ahead and spend every dime you make on muskie tackle and you will be a much happier person.

i agree on that area, its starting to turn on again we took a 50 incher in that area
on alexg's boat and he got another one with shag so 2 this week that i know of. as far as trolling that area yes the weeds do make it alot of work and most days the floating weeds make it unfishable for trolling

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Thats the basic area i was fishing, but i think im gonna try and go more towards the west (in front of jimmy's) and find some deeper water. Heck, maybe ill even rent a boat from jimmys so that i can hit more spots. Wont be able to get out till next weekend, so ill see how the weather looks. Thanks for the tips everyone, i REALLY appreciate it.

Oh and heinie, thats what i was afraid of, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Hey bro, send me your address, and I'll send you a couple baits. I geared up with "some" conventional tackle this year and I may have overshoot my needs a bit. How heavy are your rods? Do you have anything that will cast big soft plastics? Like 6-10 0z? I've got about 30 Dawgs, and uh....well I don't need that many. Also got some shads and a Believer or two I can send your way bro.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
im amazed that your lookin to catch a muski in a kayak, how the heck are you gonna boat him & take a pic? LOL

gl though P.K.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Sep 27 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey bro, send me your address, and I'll send you a couple baits. I geared up with "some" conventional tackle this year and I may have overshoot my needs a bit. How heavy are your rods? Do you have anything that will cast big soft plastics? Like 6-10 0z? I've got about 30 Dawgs, and uh....well I don't need that many. Also got some shads and a Believer or two I can send your way bro.

Im only working with a medium action rod for now, so i have to use the lighter lures. In the kayak, i dont need anything stiffer than that, cause the boat acts as a secondary drag. (Literally drag, lol) I appreciate the offer though. Ive got some lures for now, i just cant imagine how much money you guys spend on lures, with fish tearing them off and such. I just wanna try it for now, but ill def send you a PM if i decide to start getting serious about it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Sep 27 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>im amazed that your lookin to catch a muski in a kayak, how the heck are you gonna boat him & take a pic? LOL

gl though P.K.

Yeah, i get that a lot. Depending on the size, i may not nessesarily have to boat it. I have a tape measure that i put along the side of the boat, so i can measure it without taking it out of the water. Im gonna assume that the first couple fish will be under 45, so i should be able to see how it goes. (although in this lake, i could end up with a 50+ as my first, you never know, lol) I have a puncture proof glove, so i should be able to wrestle the smaller ones into the boat without hurting myself, or more importantly them. My boat is only 2-3 inches above the water, so it isnt a very far lift. As for taking pictures, im still working on a failproof way to do it, but i may end up either trying to use my tripod or possibly waving a $20 bill around until one of the boats around me come by.
(you could make some good money if im having a good day, lol) Im just hoping i can get a pic of my first one, and after that i wont really care too much. I also have the pliers and all that, so unhooking shouldnt be too hard. We'll see how it goes, if i abruptly stop making any posts, you know it didnt work out too well.
jk

·
Registered
631 Posts
It does sound nuts! But what the hell wear a bullet proof vest & a goalies hockey mask, fish downwind of spinner and paddle real fast in straight line past a boat with schram on it and you'll be in the hot spots! All kidding aside your an adventurer but careful when them fish thrash around with a mouthful of trebles and when you get one please post it! You'll have your hands full, better bring a pair of hook cutters just in case. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If they can catch Mako Sharks on a flyrod in a sea kayak off San Diego, Jimmy can catch a musky in his Pelican.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
QUOTE(lance1161 @ Sep 27 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It does sound nuts! But what the hell wear a bullet proof vest & a goalies hockey mask, fish downwind of spinner and paddle real fast in straight line past a boat with schram on it and you'll be in the hot spots! All kidding aside your an adventurer but careful when them fish thrash around with a mouthful of trebles and when you get one please post it! You'll have your hands full, better bring a pair of hook cutters just in case. Good luck!

My girlfreind says you wont want to fish downwind of me. better try upwind

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Sep 27 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(lance1161 @ Sep 27 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It does sound nuts! But what the hell wear a bullet proof vest & a goalies hockey mask, fish downwind of spinner and paddle real fast in straight line past a boat with schram on it and you'll be in the hot spots! All kidding aside your an adventurer but careful when them fish thrash around with a mouthful of trebles and when you get one please post it! You'll have your hands full, better bring a pair of hook cutters just in case. Good luck!

My girlfreind says you wont want to fish downwind of me. better try upwind

Yea that is dangerous. I would use some lip grippers slde the fish up onto the boat and remove the hooks. Ive been hooked 2 times and luckily there was someone with me to help

·
Registered
269 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Sep 27 2009, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How in the heck do you guys keep from going bankrupt? I only bought a couple lures, some wire leaders, and some other misc stuff (including a detroit custom tackle hat

Catching a 50 plus inch muskie priceless, for everything else theres mastercard.....

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
U may wont to fish with spinners with one set of treble hooks, would make things a lot easier than a body bait with 3 sets of treble hooks. Might want to fish in 5-7' of water, the odds would be better to catch a nice 30"-40" fish than a 45"+ fish. See how that goes first maybe. Hope U get some good pics would love to see them.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Sep 27 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>U may wont to fish with spinners with one set of treble hooks, would make things a lot easier than a body bait with 3 sets of treble hooks. Might want to fish in 5-7' of water, the odds would be better to catch a nice 30"-40" fish than a 45"+ fish. See how that goes first maybe. Hope U get some good pics would love to see them.

My biggest fish this year was caught in 5-7 feet of water. fish of all sizes will be scattered . your actually better off catching a bigger fish. there will be less thrashin. the most dangerous fish are pike and mid 30s musky. a 45+ fish is wore out by the time you get it in

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.