Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K guys...let's hear how you do your ribs!

In the winter I boil them first then bake in the oven at 350 for an hour or so - flipping and saucing every 20 min.

It's nice out and now I'm gonna grill mine so I'd like to hear some of your suggestions.

Thanks!
Shan

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
How long do you boil them before baking?

I've only made rib's myself a few times and they never turn out great....always looking for tips.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about 15 minutes Re - it tenderizes them.

I pulled some out yesterday and put them in a big ziploc baggie w/marinade and was going to cook them last night but ended up doing something else for dinner so now these puppies have been marinating for 24 hours and they are sooo tender - I'm an awful griller though but I'm going to try tonight - on real low heat so I dont burn them.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ May 17 2004, 09:46 AM)about 15 minutes Re - it tenderizes them.
I thought you were suppose to do it longer. Maybe that's were I went wrong.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I boil either type of ribs, Baby Backs, country or regular until the meat begins to turn gray.. I prefer baby backs ribs.. Then I season to taste. Remember, adding salt while you cook any meat at the beginning causes the juices to leave the meat. Thus drying out the meat.. Add salt towards the end of cooking...
I also place the coals on the barbeque to the sides of the grill and place the ribs in the center not right over the coals. Also, before you make up your coals , place chucks of apple, cherry, hickery or whatever type of wood that you like to use on the coals.. But, the wood has to be soaked in water (say hours before use) so that it smokes. Dry wood just burns up and doesn't give it that smokey taste.
I also make up my own barbeque sauce which I can share here with you if you like,,,? We also use the same sauce on chicken. We like it a little sweet but you can add to it to make it hotter and also you can add a few drops of liquid smoke to it to give it that smokey taste if you don't have any wood to add to the coals. I never cook with gas but that's just me..
As the ribs are cooking to almost being cooked on the grill I then start adding barbeque sauce turning until it get that special look to it by placing the meat then over the coals to sear the sauce...
Dang, I'm getting hungry..... :>)

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I pull the skin (or whatever it is) off the back side of the baby backs. Rub them in a homemade southwest dry seasonings mix. Wrap in tin foil and bbq over in-direct heat for about 2 1/2 hours.

Let cool down. Unwrap and cut into 4-5 rib sections....BBQ again while basting....

Your ribs are gonna be yummy since they marinated sooo long! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Stop it.
I've got rib fever now. Where are we going for dinner today, Famous Dave's, Firehouse, Dublin Pub, where?

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
Remove the skin layer
cloves of garlic smached and smeered all over over
salt & pepper
Peprica (sp) <_< the entire surface
Barbeque on high untill the meat is browned,
reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour
just prior to finish apply barbeque sauce and increase heat to char the sugars in the sauce to the meat
sauce directions Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MMMmmmm good suggestions everyone

So, there all wet w/marinade - I put them in foil and cook for about 2 hours then take out of the foil and do the bbq sauce for 10 min each side - is that right?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ May 17 2004, 09:58 AM)I also make up my own barbeque sauce which I can share here with you if you like,,,?
Please share....

·
LSCN Sponsor
283 Posts
Hey Shan!
you said you had them marinating for a day or so
so the best way to cook them if they were
is to cook them on the opposite side of the grille from the heat, med to med-lo heat. covered. what i also do is put an old pan full of water and beer and some spices on the grille over the heat while you cook the ribs
RIBS!! its what i do best, let me know if you all need more recipes and such i have written a bunch, some have won awards. Cooking and eating are GOOD things!!
Packy

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ May 17 2004, 09:50 AM)QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ May 17 2004, 09:58 AM) I also make up my own barbeque sauce which I can share here with you if you like,,,?
Please share....
I got this recipe for barbeque sauce a long time ago from an old co-worker who was a gourmet chef.. You have to make the sauce up in a sauce pan. To tell you the truth we love the sauce but I don't like the way that it smells in the sauce pan. It gets it's flavor on the barbeque... My family loves it...

The sauce is called after his name.....

Danny's Lipsmackin Finger Suckin Barbeque sauce..

(1) cup Brown Sugar (Firmly Packed)
(1/2) cup Soy Sauce (Kikoman Preferred) Not light..
)1/3) cup Worchester Sauce
(1/3) cup Chile sauce
(1/2) cup Ketchup
(1/4) cup White Vinegar
(2) tsp Prepared Mustard
(1/2) tsp Ground Black Pepper
We add a little pressed garlic to the sauce....
This is the part of the recipe that we use. (You can also add Onion, crushed Red Pepper and Tobasco Sauce to taste if you like your sauce with a little bite)

Combine in Medium sauce pan in order, stirring and simmer until thickened maybe up to 1/2 hour. I maybe go 15 minutes. Good on ribs, chicken, anything...
Note: If not thick enough for your personal preference and it never is for my own use, thicked sauce with a little corn-starch with water solution mixed together and cook a little longer. I like to get the sauce a little thicker then ketchup.. Apply to chicken or ribs at the end of cooking and keep applying and turning until sauce gets a little darkened on the grill.. Enjoy....

·
Registered
187 Posts
1st remove membrane. Season heavily (garlic, onion, paprika, good chili powder and pepper or your favorite dry rub). Marinate over night if you have the time or not. Place ribs on broiler tray (meaty side up). Add liquid to broiled pan 1/4 to 1/2 full. Spicy up the liquid if you want. I use 2 cans of beer and liquid smoke instead of water. Heard red wine works good, but dilute it with water by 1/2. Never tried. Place broiler tray on top. Cover tray completely with tin foil. Bake/Steam at 450 for 2 hours. Cool completely. Do not try to remove from tray until cooled, they will fall apart. Reheat/Brown on grill or under broiler, sauce and enjoy. I usually cook them the day before or 1st thing in the morning. Then 15 minutes on the grill and your eating.

Be careful when removing from oven. Hot liquid.&#8230;
For baby back's cut time in 1/2.

Or season, place in smoker 6 to 8 hours. Smoke with 2/3 hickory and 1/3 cherry wood.

Easy Suace: Mix 2/3 open pit 1/3 Kraft thick and spicy and a pinch of cayenne.
Spicy: Open pit, apple cider vinegar, habaneros (carefull when handling hot) and butter. Heat for 15.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
great hints everyone ~ thanks!

Did you take your notes Rerun?? I'll be printing off this thread!

I used carribean jerk as a marinade BTW - should be good

1 - 20 of 40 Posts