Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been given very good reports about my fishing but i have noticed alot of people are just reading the reports and fishing yours/others spots crowding the area your trying to fish. Without giving any reports or tips thereself. I wonder if i should shorten my reports to something like 5 eyes, lsc harnesses, in the water and just pm the guys that share there info. Its not just the guest its alot of the members too but not all of us. I have spent tons of money and time on the water to just tell some one exactly what to do so they can use my time and money to catch fish too.

How Does everyone else feel?

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Some people are takers, some are givers, and some fall somewhere in between.
Those that joined this site to become active members, make new friends with common interests are the ones I like the best. There are some that join to show off, some that come here to learn and some that just lurk and don't join.
You can do much to change a persons nature, I just take people at face value and I will say eeveryone I have met from the fishing and hunting forums are great people. Same goes for most of those in the Boathouse forum. But in any public venue, you will always run into some you wish you hadn't.
I try not to pass judgement on people until I meet them, but there are some, just from their posts, that you get a "preconcieved notion" about, those are the people that sometimes feel the same way about you, whether you realize it or not.
Sometimes when you meet them you find out your first impression was right, other times you may be surprised.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Aug 7 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have been given very good reports about my fishing but i have noticed alot of people are just reading the reports and fishing yours/others spots crowding the area your trying to fish. Without giving any reports or tips thereself. I wonder if i should shorten my reports to something like 5 eyes, lsc harnesses, in the water and just pm the guys that share there info. Its not just the guest its alot of the members too but not all of us. I have spent tons of money and time on the water to just tell some one exactly what to do so they can use my time and money to catch fish too.

Non Posters are like parasites!
Oh the beauty of the internet..... If you post specifics you have to worry about all the info sucking leeches out there who do nothing to contribute. On the other hand, post vague info and the guys active on the board rips you a new one for being a "bragger" and not posting specifics. I think you have to take the good with the bad. Keep in mind that I am sure there are a few websites out there where we all do a little lurking. What really takes the cake is the parasite who makes one post complaining about a lack of info in a post or on a board.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Aug 7 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have been given very good reports about my fishing but i have noticed alot of people are just reading the reports and fishing yours/others spots crowding the area your trying to fish. Without giving any reports or tips thereself. I wonder if i should shorten my reports to something like 5 eyes, lsc harnesses, in the water and just pm the guys that share there info. Its not just the guest its alot of the members too but not all of us. I have spent tons of money and time on the water to just tell some one exactly what to do so they can use my time and money to catch fish too.

thats why my reports less detailed if someone is heading out and wants info ill gladly share in a pm

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(troller11 @ Aug 7 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(wallysteve @ Aug 7 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have been given very good reports about my fishing but i have noticed alot of people are just reading the reports and fishing yours/others spots crowding the area your trying to fish. Without giving any reports or tips thereself. I wonder if i should shorten my reports to something like 5 eyes, lsc harnesses, in the water and just pm the guys that share there info. Its not just the guest its alot of the members too but not all of us. I have spent tons of money and time on the water to just tell some one exactly what to do so they can use my time and money to catch fish too.

thats why my reports less detailed if someone is heading out and wants info ill gladly share in a pm

thats what i have been doing and some of the guys knows i will pm them the complete info as they do to me. So if any one see's my reports and i will start posting the pics now and wants info pm me and if you seem to be a giver and not just a taker i will give you all the info you need some of the guy's that gave me tips on tactics i will even give you guys the gps cord

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Aug 7 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some people are takers, some are givers, and some fall somewhere in between.
Those that joined this site to become active members, make new friends with common interests are the ones I like the best. There are some that join to show off, some that come here to learn and some that just lurk and don't join.
You can do much to change a persons nature, I just take people at face value and I will say eeveryone I have met from the fishing and hunting forums are great people. Same goes for most of those in the Boathouse forum. But in any public venue, you will always run into some you wish you hadn't.
I try not to pass judgement on people until I meet them, but there are some, just from their posts, that you get a "preconcieved notion" about, those are the people that sometimes feel the same way about you, whether you realize it or not.
Sometimes when you meet them you find out your first impression was right, other times you may be surprised.

What are you trying to say?? I met ya, and the fam for the first time after two or so years of posting
I know I am crazy, Rub it in

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Aug 7 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Aug 7 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some people are takers, some are givers, and some fall somewhere in between.

What are you trying to say?? I met ya, and the fam for the first time after two or so years of posting
I know I am crazy, Rub it in

Honestly, there is only one LSCN'r that I have met, that I really don't like, and it is a mutual thing. I take everyone here as a friend, some are just the ones I haven't met, yet.
I liked you before I met you from your posts.

I still like you

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am not saying that i dont like some people on the site i am just asking about sharing to much info on here and not getting it back from alot

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
It's just the nature of the beast man.....it's an online, public fishing forum. Like Big Dog said. People, by nature, either give information and expect nothing back because they satisfy themselves knowing they have provided information to help someone. * Some give information expecting to get information back, like an exchange program..* and some just leech. You can't expect everyone to be on your level.....so you just do what you do that makes you happy. If you find you provide information but want information exchanged, there are ways to attain your information....but you can't expect someone to be on your level with information giving. Anybody that posts here knows that their information is being viewed by 1/3 actually being a member, and 2/3 are people that don't even become a member and just take the information and never provide a dime to the forum. To post something here, you have to expect that..and act accordingly with your information and how you provide it. And it IS easy to spot the members that just leech...and again, act accordingly.

I just say... ' To each their own '

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You could consider me just a reader because I troll through here everyday. ( I like the people) Haven't posted anything because so far I have only caught a few dinks and figured everyone knows where to get those.

Once I get into the large school of big perch (and boat them) I will definately post something about it.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I don't post too many reports because I don't want to deal with attacks. I love reading the posts of others, but would hate to see one of mine get dragged down like some of them.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I think it's understandable to post enough info to get someone started, but stop short of telling them "where." A post like "Anchor Bay, 6-8 over weeds'" will get some one started, which is all anyone needs or should want. Anchor Bay is a big place and to give that sort of info fine, IMO.

A post that says, " off Grassy, on the East side, where the two channels diverge, on a fire tiger Believer...." is a bit too specific. Post like that, and there will be boats there the next time you go out. I've got waypoints where I've seen fish every single time I pass them. I made the mistake once of "sharing" that sort of info...and a week later there were three boats circling that spot.

I'm all about helping people out, as I've been helped out. But I'm also about people doing their own research and learning the lake on their own. But for someone like me, who was brand new here last year and didn't even know where to start looking, I remember Laura PM'ing me and advising me to check out the West side of Grassy in 6-8' and start looking there. Exactly enough to get me started. She and others helped me out exactly like that, it made all the difference in my first summer of fishing, and I appreciate it.

She also gave me a couple of her specific bass spots for me to take my bass-fishing buddy to when he visits, and I appreciate that as well....but she knows I'm not a bass guy so they won't get beaten by me more than once a year when he visits! lol

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It is a fine line between helping someone and helping the whole world to your hot spot. I try to give enough info so that you can get a feel for a certain pattern and then it's up to to readers to apply the knowledge to spots that they are familiar with. If that makes me a prude, then at least I'm a prude with a fish dinner.
It's a big lake, but it's not that big...

As far as the non-poster just lurking....well, I guess I don't worry about it. Another reason to follow Esox's advise and not get too specific. In a utopian world, ah, don't get me started. I digress.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Aug 7 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(troller11 @ Aug 7 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(wallysteve @ Aug 7 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have been given very good reports about my fishing but i have noticed alot of people are just reading the reports and fishing yours/others spots crowding the area your trying to fish. Without giving any reports or tips thereself. I wonder if i should shorten my reports to something like 5 eyes, lsc harnesses, in the water and just pm the guys that share there info. Its not just the guest its alot of the members too but not all of us. I have spent tons of money and time on the water to just tell some one exactly what to do so they can use my time and money to catch fish too.

thats what i have been doing and some of the guys knows i will pm them the complete info as they do to me. So if any one see's my reports and i will start posting the pics now and wants info pm me and if you seem to be a giver and not just a taker i will give you all the info you need some of the guy's that gave me tips on tactics i will even give you guys the gps cord

membership has its priveledges, i even give posters a preference when offering a open seat opposed to a person with 0 posts.
so far this year ive fished with
alex g,schram,tm7554,reel escape,musky addict,shagnasty,lance116,little guy,walleyesteve,rjt,woody95. all of wich are users of this forum. it is what you make of it i guess, still alot of season left i wouldnt be surprised if i fish with a few more people off the site before years end

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i quit posting becuase of the attacks and the way things have been handled lately on this bored. Its too much hassle to deal with. Ill chime in on some topics that catch my intrest but other wise with all the people that have been running up on my partner and I and GPSing us, its just pointless.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I read a lot of posts, But I don't post a lot for two reasons. One I just went out today for the first time this year on the lake, and secondly I am not very good at this lake yet. I do post whether or not I catch anything though. But I think that a lot of people just don't want to give away there honey spots. But I also know if you send a pm to about 90 % of the people on here they will help you to learn the good spots. I have had several offers to go out with me and teach me some spots, But I am the type that always worries about getting stranded out on the lake so I usually just go out with my buddy or with my fiance'. If and when I find 'em I will post my general idea can't give gps coordinates yet. Still got to buy the gps antenna thing for my new fish finder.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have also discovered that you don't post specifics. Generalizations to form a pattern and then it's up to the person reading it to figure out the rest.

I will ALWAYS give preference to member of this board as far as a seat and ifno through a PM. I will also NOT divulge any info about spots they show me or take me to. That is out of pure respect for all the work they did in figuring out that spot/pattern. I also don't like going to the spots I'm shown very often, if at all. If the area holds fish i try to identify areas that are similar and fish those using the same techniques. That way I dont beat their spot up or potentially over fish it. There is some much structure on the lake that it's crazy to beat up one little patch. If it works in one spot it'll work in another that is pretty much the same. Doing that also gives you the chance of finding areas with little to no pressure. Surprising but they are out there.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
I see both sides and I've done both. I've posted reports, fairly detailed info on location, depth and baits and I've had it bite me in the backside a few times. On the other hand it makes me feel good to give out some tips, especially when I know I've helped someone else who is grateful enough to show it.
For those I've helped that appreciate it, that makes up for the others who don't always appreciate the info.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Bow Tie - Not posting alot? 1000 posts in under a year... No pun intended.

I haven't posted a report in quite some time. This is due to the fact that I don't have enough time to fish. Heres a report from my first outing in a month, this evening.

Fished the south end of the lake, bouncers, in lines and bottom bouncers. 13 eyes boated and lost quite a few fish off the boards. The suspended fish seemed to be finicky. As steve stated greens were hot, firetiger in particular. 1.5 mph... water temp 70.6, depth 13 ft

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.