Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be able to set courses and way points for my Garmin 440 on my laptop or PC and then load them into my GPS on the boat. I see other people post pictures of of routes and way points on here so it seems like this is possible.

Can someone explain how to do that? Do you guys use a certain program?

I checked garmin.com but I didn't find any useful information.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Crownline_Mike @ Jun 19 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I want to be able to set courses and way points for my Garmin 440 on my laptop or PC and then load them into my GPS on the boat. I see other people post pictures of of routes and way points on here so it seems like this is possible.

Can someone explain how to do that? Do you guys use a certain program?

I checked garmin.com but I didn't find any useful information.
Should be able to put an SD card into the 44 and save off your tracks etc. Mapsource from Garmin can read that data, just need an SD card reader on your PC.

AP can tell you how to get Google Earth to draw them.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Using Garmin's MapSource software, you can plot a course, save it, transfer it to your memory card, then upload it to your GPS. And vice versa...you can save your waypoints, tracks and routes from your GPS and transfer it to your memory card and copy it to your PC.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Here is my understanding...

While I have not researched it, I don't know of any way to create routes, waypoints, etc. on the computer and send them to a Garmin GPS without MapSource. There are probably ways, but I'm not personally aware of any.

MapSource is an additional purchase. It is not included with a Garmin plotter (at least the ones I've seen). Purchasing MapSource includes one chart region. I have the region which basically centers on St. Clair and Lake Huron, and feathers off in detail from there. You can see and and create routes, etc., outside your purchased region, but the further outside your region you get, the lesser the detail.

You can find MapSouce (on CD) on eBay (last I looked) for about a 100 bucks. There are a various groups of regions, so make sure your region of interest is covered before purchase.

It used to be that the Garmin plotters included very sparse chart data, and using MapSource (and a purchased region), you would upload charts to your plotter to add detailed charts. Now, plotters (such as your 440) come with detailed chart data built-in (can't be changed, or added to), and any additional chart data (such as additional detail and 3-D views, POIs, or other non-built in regions, etc.) are added via data cards. Newer models use standard SD cards, while old models use proprietary Garmin data cards.

I believe the primary reason for moving away from the software based (manual uploading of chart data), to "chip based" charts, is due to the convoluted copy protection system Garmin was using. There were far more links on their support site pertaining to copy protection issues than there were on installing and using the software! Now it is simple. You by a card, and you can use it in any supported GPS. Before, you got two installs of your purchased region, and that was it.

Bottom line, you either need to figure out how to use third-party software, or spend a hundred bucks for MapSource.

Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that is good info. Sounds like the mapsource software is the key. Thanks a lot Garmin for charging extra money for the software on top of a ridiculously overpriced product (compared to a $100 gps for your car).

Maybe I can find a torrent download for it on somewhere.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Go to Maptech and download the free chart viewer and free BSB charts for this region. You can then plot your course on your PC and upload the route to your GPS.

Here's a screen grab of the software.

Matt

Ecoregion World Map Rectangle Font

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts