Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my & the wife are gonna try whipping for wallies this sunday up around algonac SP. I have no clue how to rig for it. I understand that a heap big hunk o lead is needed but not much else.
Ideas and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
2-3 oz pensil sinker on a 18" drop from a 3-way swivel. I use Rapala type lures especially the last lure. I run 2 in tandem on 6 ft. leaders. Firetiger seemed to out preform others. Short stout rod. About 3 ft or so is what I prefer.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry thanks for the article it just clarified what mike was talkin about. I thought "in tandem" meant one below the other not in-line with each other.

Thank you guys very much!

Hopefully I can report back that it worked well and me & the wife limited out.

Might try chuggin too. Now that I know what it is.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of curiosity why is whipping a "night time only" tactic?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
if your going to be fishing in front of the first house that is north of the park on the riverside, you'll need to throw your anchor in 19-20 FOW in front of the little cottage with is actually the 3rd house north of the park. After you let out all your anchor line, you should be parked right in the middle or north side of the first house, That is where you want to be sitting.

The current is slower in that spot so you might want to use 1 & 1/2 oz or a 1oz bell type sinker if your using none strecth line and can develop the feel for the 1 oz sinker, you should be able to send your plugs back with no problems and hopefully limit out as quick as my buddies have been doing when they fish that spot.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 9 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Out of curiosity why is whipping a "night time only" tactic?

Actually, whipping is an approved style of still fishing that was done with the wire handline reels. The devolpment of the automatic drop or free fall switch andded to a baitcasting real made the difference and easier for more people to still fish without buying the complete trolling sytem for running wire. Night feeding is the best time to catch the fish while they feed in the shallower water and keep traveling up and down the incline to feed, whipping puts you right at the right spot during the right time.

Most of the older and still some of the real trollers who pull wire, actually perfered and some still perfer it for trolling during the day when fishing is a little more of a challenge, then at night.

·
Registered
673 Posts
All different sizes of Rapalas will work. I fish with #9's,#11's and #13's. I keep trying different sizes until I find the color and size they want to "chomp" I have not done much whipping this year, but the Vampire color has always worked well for me in the past.

Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts