Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
I like to hook them back towards the tail just under the spine. I think they move more that way and they seem to live longer beeing that you arent damaging any organs

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
That would depend on what type of presentation that I'm using. Generally for stationary presentations I hook them in the front part of the dorsal fin with the hook point towards the head. This gets better hook ups IMO. When in current or slow trolling or drifting in stronger winds I hook them through the bottom of the jaw up through the nostril.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Between the head and the dorsal fin in the chunk of meat above the spine. They live and swim for a very long time and with most of your bites going down the perch's throat head first, the hook is one of the first things to go. Just keep the hook high enough, if you nip the spine they are done for.

·
Registered
533 Posts
QUOTE(stonesfan83 @ Jan 16 2010, 06:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i hook them through the eyes heard it from someone and tried it works great almost never get robbed lots of movement and dont miss as many fish
I agree 100%. Whenever I use minnows with a bare hook, I hook them through the eye sockets.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
QUOTE(BuckHunter @ Jan 16 2010, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Between the head and the dorsal fin in the chunk of meat above the spine. They live and swim for a very long time and with most of your bites going down the perch's throat head first, the hook is one of the first things to go. Just keep the hook high enough, if you nip the spine they are done for.
i do the same thing, and it works great

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
When Dad and I fished back in the day. We hooked them the same way we did for Walleye in the summer. Lip hook it upside down for more action on the minnow. I know it works. I did a lot of ice fishing when the body was younger and could take it. One time we were both off work and we fished Anchor Bay for like 63 days through the ice. We had a great two man shanty that Dad made. I sure miss those days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like hooking right through the eyes and then tiping the hook with a spike this holds the minnow on for a little longer if the fish are aggresive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.