Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to plan a trip to Tawas, MI and was wondering if anyone could help me with the travel distance in Nautical miles and ballpark travel time at a cruising speed of 28mph.

I have a 320 Sundancer and am trying to give myself adequate travel time during daylight hours since this is my first trip that far North. I will be leaving from Jeffferson Beach Marina/Lake St. Clair.

Any help/feed back is appreciated. I heard the marina/harbor is very nice there.

Please post here or email to [email protected]

Thanks!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I thought we already had a Big Daddy in here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it may be me signed in twice under two screen names.......I thought I signed up a while back but couldn't get logged in tonight as I never really posted anything.......

Was the other Big Daddy a frequent poster or just in the directory as a member?? What is his real name. There is only one Big Daddy and he drives a 320 Sundancer!!!!!!!!!!

Any tips on my Tawas voyage???

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Depends Big Daddy...are you Coast Guard???

There are alot of peeps here that can help you. Hammer is usually the best one.

Tomorrrow morning I am sure you will get a reply?

·
LSCN Sponsor
142 Posts
QUOTE(Big Daddy @ Jul 28 2003, 01:43 AM)I am trying to plan a trip to Tawas, MI and was wondering if anyone could help me with the travel distance in Nautical miles and ballpark travel time at a cruising speed of 28mph.

I have a 320 Sundancer and am trying to give myself adequate travel time during daylight hours since this is my first trip that far North. I will be leaving from Jeffferson Beach Marina/Lake St. Clair.

Any help/feed back is appreciated. I heard the marina/harbor is very nice there.

Please post here or email to [email protected]

Thanks!!
Big Daddy,

Not sure exactly how many miles. However I have made the trip a couple of times to Oscoda from Miller Marina on a family members boat. I know we made it there no problem during daylight hours. If I remember correctly we left around 7-8am and stopped at either Lexington or Port Sanilac , then Port Austin again for gas before going across Saginaw Bay. I believe we made it their in the 4-5pm range. Hopefully that helps. I guess the real point is it certainly is possible during the day to make there.

Fordman

G

·
Just from looking at a map (not a chart), it looks close to 160 statute miles, 5.7 hours at 28 mph plus stops or having to slow down for conditions, a little extra time for running against the St. Clair River current.

·
Registered
141 Posts
these are the cords. for Tawas Point. put these into your gps and it should tell you. 44.14.44 083.28.28

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Well if your name is Ron you are the real BigDaddy...

I didn't know SeaRay ever made a 32 Dancer... What year is it? Sounds like a rare breed...

Sounds like you'd be pushing her pretty hard to get 28mph. You may want to back off to around 3200 RPM, you'll save a fourtune in fuel!

The Coastie is Mr.Big. BigDaddy Ron donated the WebSite for SupportFreedom.com

You should pick up a Lake Huron Ports of Call Book if your making that trek. It will give you distance in Nautical Miles and GPS coordinates, plus it will tell you of any known hazards for each port of call.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(TheWiz @ Jul 28 2003, 10:36 PM)Well if your name is Ron you are the real BigDaddy...

...The Coastie is Mr.Big. BigDaddy Ron donated the WebSite for SupportFreedom.com
This Big Daddy's name is Bret or so it says on his profile...

...there I go again getting peeps confused again.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
They made a 32' Searay for the last few years.
Searay 320 Sundancer

Bob Eaton and I did the trip from Linwood MI in Saginaw Bay just south of Tawas back to HCN in Harrison Township.

We did about 23 mphs in 32' Bayliner and made two stops, one in Port Austin and one in Algonac. The total trip was around 9 hours.

Bob if your reading, chime in with more details.

BTW - There are two Big Daddy's on the board, I remember your 32' docked at Metro this last spring.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think Capt'n Rob pretty much summed our trip up. I just looked at a map and it should be a pretty easy run from Tawas. There should be plenty of deep water and I think your probably pretty close to the shipping channel. I'd give you my GPS coordinates, but I already removed the system because I'm selling it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unfortunately I can't, at this time, help you with your distance/speed calculation. However, as a Native of East Tawas, you are going to a great harbor and a great town. Have drink at Bikini's for me (Bikini's is a little tiki bar in the harbor).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All- I am not with the Coast Guard and my name is Brett.

The Wiz, my 320 Sundancer is a 2003 and after a couple extended cruises to Put-In Bay and Cedar Point I have found that ideal cruising speed is somewhere between 27-28 miles per hour. It has twin 350 mag/Mercruisers with inboard V-Drives. Any less than 25 mph and it starts to push a lot of water and drag a$$, at least it seems that way. At 3200 RPM it runs around 22-24 mph and just seems to be a little heavy. Ideal revs seem to be between arounfd 3600 with 3800 to be a fast cruise but still not to bad. As far as fuel economy goes whose counting penies ( er, should I say dollars) when I am burning about 20-25 gallons per hour on average!!

Captn. Rob- Was that you I met at Metro Beach back in Mid-May??

Thanks for the help guys on coordinates, ballpark travel times and the rocks in the Bay tip. This will be my first time venturing out past the Bluewater Bridge into Port Huron. According to a friends GPS it is 176 miles from JBM to Tawas Harbor. Right on your guys call.

Thanks again.

Brett

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was also thinking about a trip up to Tawas. A guy at work made the trip last year he said about 10 hours and to stay 2 to 3 miles out going around the thumb lots of rocks & boulders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts