Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

how hard is it?

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Top Gun 
#1 ·
to refinish a hardwood floor? just pulled up my carpet, underneith found old splattered paint and stains but seems to have potential..

anyone have anybody they can recommend to come take a look??.. anyone?anyone?..

See less See more
#4 ·
you have to be very careful, you need to sand very thorough, you don't want slivers in your bumm from #*&^!@

if someone comes out and does them, thast can be $$$$
but rent a sander, as mini said.
ask cbj for help, he just did his a month ago.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've done them myself and had them done. Unless you have a lot of time to kill, I found it easier and almost more economical to get them done. The first time you use the machine you will gouge the floor and it will look like the rippled sand under the shallow water on the beach. The machines that you can rent are typically the 110 volt (standard household) whereas the professionals use 220 that they connect to the service panel. The weaker machine takes longer, you pay for the rental of the machine, and it seems you cant get in done in the time you thought, so you pay for more rental. If your floors have paint on them you may gum up a few of the sand belts and those aren't cheap. The next couple of days your back is gonna kill from bending over using the edger.

I just had a house done, living room, 1 bdrm. and hall, the wood was in terrible shape, gouged and had cheap high gloss laquer applied incorrectly, the guy I used made them look new.

RJB Hardwood Floors (Randy Bartek) located in Warren, MI (586) 757-2488.

Usually disappointed in contract-out work but cant say enought about the quality of his work.

Skip the pergo, you have the wood and it will look 100% better.

Oh yeah, he was dirt cheap in comparison to other quotes, plus he stained and finished the corner mouldings for free.

#10 ·
I have to get mine done....but my bar tab has been getting in the way....Plus I'm never home to see the floors so I don't worry about it to much. But the first thing that's going to get fixed around my place is my yard...I'm getting two 50-60 foot tall pine trees taken down. Timber! Should be nothing but stumps by the end of the week.

I had my Living room and hallway quoted for around $600. It's a friend of my fathers that does it on the side. If you'd like his number I can get it for you.

Also heard about a product called wood bleach. It's suppose to clean stains and other stuff right out of the wood. Has anyone heard of this or used it? canehdiangirl why don't you research it and let me know what you find out. That would save me a lot of time.

#12 ·
QUOTE(rerun @ May 19 2003, 02:27 PM)Also heard about a product called wood bleach. It's suppose to clean stains and other stuff right out of the wood. Has anyone heard of this or used it? canehdiangirl why don't you research it and let me know what you find out. That would save me a lot of time.

Rerun, the wood bleach (at least what I know of it) is used once you strip the poly or other finish off the floor and find deeper stains that can't be sanded. Probably wont work on a finished floor. Usually does a fair job on stains on raw wood but only for a last ditch effort if its too deep to sand.

#14 ·
QUOTE(Deuce-Five @ May 19 2003, 02:30 PM)QUOTE(rerun @ May 19 2003, 02:27 PM)

Also heard about a product called wood bleach. It's suppose to clean stains and other stuff right out of the wood. Has anyone heard of this or used it? canehdiangirl why don't you research it and let me know what you find out. That would save me a lot of time.

Rerun, the wood bleach (at least what I know of it) is used once you strip the poly or other finish off the floor and find deeper stains that can't be sanded. Probably wont work on a finished floor. Usually does a fair job on stains on raw wood but only for a last ditch effort if its too deep to sand.
mine doesn't seem to have any finish on it... just old aboused wood...

rerun, pass me that number... deuce, I'll call your guy to0 (what's your name?) I'll tell him you reccomended him.

Rerun, getting on that bleach research for you... after I clean my kitchen/bathroom, do the laundry, take out the garbage mow my lawn...

#15 ·
I paid $1200 to have my downstairs done last year and it was a waste of money!! He did a crappy job and overcharged me....

However, it was MUCH less expensive than carpet would have been and nobody but me can see the flaws...

Seriously, it looked pretty basic and everybody couldn't believe I didn't just do it myself...

Can't believe none of these boys are offering to help!! What up?????

#16 ·
QUOTE(pauligan @ May 19 2003, 01:38 PM)I paid $1200 to have my downstairs done last year and it was a waste of money!! He did a crappy job and overcharged me....

However, it was MUCH less expensive than carpet would have been and nobody but me can see the flaws...

Seriously, it looked pretty basic and everybody couldn't believe I didn't just do it myself...

Can't believe none of these boys are offering to help!! What up?????
i would help, but my hours make it very difficult to help, or even do what i have to do

#17 ·
QUOTE(Shandog @ May 19 2003, 02:29 PM)Are you serious Re? I'd kill to have some mature trees like that on my lot. What a bummer!
Yea, there firewood.

Reasons to keep them:

1.)They totaly block the view of my back yard for every Tom Dick and Harry to see. (I'm a corner lot) Now I'll need to put up a wood fence so noone can see the maddness.

Reasons to get rid of them:

1.)One of them is on it's last limb.
The whole back side of it has some type of problem and it's only a matter of time before it works it's way to the front side and everyone will know that I'm a tree killer.

2.)My "super gardener just got my lawn re-soded" lady want me to cut the tree so that it's not in her yard anymore.

3.) I hate to cut the lawn around them. (not that I cut it but when I did I hated it)

4.) The tree guy could not believe that I have not had water problems with the size of the trees and the way the roots are. He thought they were some crappy trees too.

5.) I got a hell of a deal to cut them down.

6.)There so 60's along with the rest of my landscape stuff. Big bushes and all the rest of the junk. It all needs to go but it's not something you can do in the winter and I like to spend the summer on the water.
So this is the first instalment of the Rerun yard project.

#18 ·
QUOTE(canehdiangirl @ May 19 2003, 01:57 PM)to refinish a hardwood floor? just pulled up my carpet, underneith found old splattered paint and stains but seems to have potential..

anyone have anybody they can recommend to come take a look??.. anyone?anyone?..

I might be interested what`s it pay?

#19 ·
My husband and I did ours about 3 years ago. We did our daughters room 9x8, a hall way and our living room which is 18 x 12. It only took us a weekend. And he hand coated them. The only thing is you need to make sure you screen them really well so you dont get gritty spots. And if you are using a barrel sander. Make sure you are strong enough to hold it steady so you don't get the ripple. Ours came out beautifully. Good luck!

#22 ·
I had my floors done about a year ago. Typical cost $2.00/sq ft sanding, $0.50 Bleach or stain and $0.50 for finishing (2 coats poly.). I called all around. Best bet is call the lumber mill or try Quality Hardwoods in Rochester and get a recommendation/referral. If you need new wood it cost between $2.50 & $10.00 per sq. depending on what you want. You can do it your self which is time consuming and dirty, but I figured if I burn/gouged anything with the sander and had to replace boards it would cost me more then having someone who knows what there doing do it. Hope this helps.

Mr.D.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I installed and finished my hard wood floor. Felt like I just came out of marine boot camp by the time I was done. I have a friend that will re-finish it for me when the time comes. He does excellant work, and is reasonable. Plus he does it for a living, not just on the side. If you want I can get you his number. PM me if you want it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.