Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Life expectancy????????????

I've always said I would like to live forever or die trying!!

Have also been very curious to see if they have been making any advances in the area of cryogenics.

Anybody heard anything new????

Would you consider freezing all or part of yourself if there was a chance you could be brought back in the future??

a short news blurb

You had a hand in this didn't you Snow?? Not only your favorite University, but what's with the names of the subjects?? Now I know what you were really doing over the past 40 days/nights.

Good deal though.........give me some of what they're on!!!!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I dont wanna live forever so much as not actually grow all old and decrepid. I'll just keep my 31 yo body till I'm about a hundred and one day drop dead. I could have more fun that way plus I still get to have the adventure of passing into the next life or whatever.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Interesting topic (at least to me)
I totally fear my own mortality. Not out of a sense of wanting to live forever, but more out of a sense of responsibility.

I literally will tell myself to "stay out of the newspaper"

Death doesn't really scare me, but me dying and leaving my family, not being there for them paralyzes me with fear.

I have actually researched it, and apparently, it's pretty common.

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
Another interesting story from the same website:

"Jannemiek Sonneveld, 27, turns her left eye to show the latest thing in body fashion, the Jewel Eye, in her hometown Driebergen, the Netherlands April 7, 2004. The eye jewel, made of platinum and available in the shape of a heart, a star or circle, is implanted in the mucous membrane of the eye and is not visible unless the eye is turned. The procedure costs 500 euros. REUTERS/Michael Kooren "

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Depends on my health and abilty to take care of my self If i have to depend on someone else to take care of me or iam in pain or disabled, i wouldnt want to live.

Or if i was all alone no spouse Being lonely and living with no sense of purpose then i wouldnt care to be around then either. Think ill allwys work or try to just to keep busy part time or something.

·
Registered
243 Posts
QUOTE(Cassie @ Apr 13 2004, 01:57 PM)Another interesting story from the same website:

"Jannemiek Sonneveld, 27, turns her left eye to show the latest thing in body fashion, the Jewel Eye, in her hometown Driebergen, the Netherlands April 7, 2004. The eye jewel, made of platinum and available in the shape of a heart, a star or circle, is implanted in the mucous membrane of the eye and is not visible unless the eye is turned. The procedure costs 500 euros. REUTERS/Michael Kooren "
yep, that'll do it. I'm gonna puke.

Why would anyone want to do that to their EYE!!!!

I still get the chills from the childhood saying, 'cross my heart and hope to die STICK A NEEDLE IN MY EYE'

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Apr 13 2004, 02:02 PM)Depends on my health and abilty to take care of my self If i have to depend on someone else to take care of me or iam in pain or disabled, i wouldnt want to live.
I'll go with that Bobrob. A favorite quote of mine is from Joe vs the Volcano. One of Meg Ryan's charicters said,

"My daddy says 99% of all the people in the world are asleep, they're zombies, and don't think for themselves. The other 1% live their lives in a state of constant amazement. I choose to live in the 1%."

and that's exactly how I feel about life. There is so much to do and to see and to learn and experience, I would absolutley want to live forever as long as I am able to care for myself.

But then the dark side of AL makes comment and says that the longer a person lives, the less they feel or care about life.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it'd be cool to live forever if it was just like Highlander. Just without the chopping off of other peoples heads.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(Pamm-ee @ Apr 13 2004, 03:53 PM)I think it'd be cool to live forever if it was just like Highlander. Just without the chopping off of other peoples heads.
yeah "there can be only one.".........plus a squel......and a another squel.....and....

·
Registered
243 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Apr 13 2004, 02:58 PM)QUOTE(Pamm-ee @ Apr 13 2004, 03:53 PM) I think it'd be cool to live forever if it was just like Highlander. Just without the chopping off of other peoples heads.
yeah "there can be only one.".........plus a squel......and a another squel.....and....
The sequels SUCKED!!!!
THey make him be from space?!?! WTF??

Should have stayed with ONLY the first one - which is one of my favorite movies.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I'd love to live forever and see the world change. See my friends kids grow up and grow old and maybe my own some day and see the grand children and great grand children...
Yup Jusy want to look 21 for the next 200 years.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
QUOTE(Pamm-ee @ Apr 13 2004, 03:02 PM)QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Apr 13 2004, 02:58 PM) QUOTE(Pamm-ee @ Apr 13 2004, 03:53 PM) I think it'd be cool to live forever if it was just like Highlander. Just without the chopping off of other peoples heads.
The sequels SUCKED!!!!
THey make him be from space?!?! WTF??

Should have stayed with ONLY the first one - which is one of my favorite movies.
i agree with u pam speaking of sequel any one seen the last matrix yet? any good ?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Apr 13 2004, 03:48 PM)any one seen the last matrix yet? any good ?
eigh, nothing special. The first was by far the best.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
It's not about how long you live, it's about what you do with your life while your alive. There's alot of living, healthy people out there that don't take the opportunity, don't make the effort to make something of themselves. I say that they're DEAD already!

My dad used to have a saying: Slow down and you will grow old. So, I take his advice and live life to the max everyday...and try to put as much fun and adventure in my life as I can! If I die tomorrow so be it, I'll have know that I've packed more living that most folks that live much longer!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Long enough to see my kid(s) grow to be successful and make lots of money to take care of me!
Jk! But really long enough to see that he/they will be alright in life. Also only want to live as long as I have good looks and a great body and have all my teeth!!
Also as long as I am living a half way decent life, seen some cool places and have the one I love with me I'll want to live as long as I'm not suffering any illnesses. Especially don't want to live on a resperator (sp) or have someone change my diaper.......ewwwh forget it just pull the plug!!

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
We were discussing this topic in my philosophy of art class with Suzanne Langer's aesthesthetic theory. She theorizes that our drive for creation comes from our desire to seek "power over death" by 1) Living as much life as possible and 2) Creation of ideas/art that live on after we die

I also thought her explanation of art was really interesting. She describes art (paintings) as virtual space, music as virtual time, and drama (movies, literature) as virtual events or experiences. She says that the purpose of comedy is to remind us that we are all part of an unending community and tragedy reminds us that our time is limited so we have to make the most of the time that we have.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If I could increase my life expectancy...assuming that I would live to about 75 to 90 (common age for woman in my family). I think I would choose right in the middle. I would hate to live longer than all my friends and family. Don't think I could stand life without them. Hopefully by then I have seen what I am meant to see and expierienced what I was meant to. If I was to die tomorrow I would die happy. I have left my marks on this world to carry on for me. No regrets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts