Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK people how many of you (us) have charts on their boats and use them. The reason I ask this is on the chart it has marked the sunken barge in the north channel near the Algonac Harbor club. It is about 250 ft from the Harsens Island shore. I know of at least 3 boats that have been damaged already this year and the weather had been bad. What is going to happen if, I mean when the weather improves? This has never marked and if this group got together and contacted the DNR (they approve the markers ) I will bet it would get marked. I sure would hate to see someone from this board tear up their boat. I will bet more than 1/2 of us are not aware of this barge.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I absolutely have charts and map my route when I'm going anywhere I've never been before. I draw straight lines between waypoints and do my best to maintain my plotted course. When in doubt, I slow down and take it easy. God bless the GPS!

·
Registered
419 Posts
i have a chart my boat and use it. last year was my first year out on the lake on my own. first time out, did't have a chart and wound up w/ a wrecked prop. i use all the time when i am going to parts of the lake that i am not used to. i hope to be getting a gps in the next couple of weeks.

thanks for the heads up about that barge, i use the north channel quite a bit since the boat is at sassy.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well one for one but i will take odds that boatmonkey you are the exception and not the rule. Many people feel they know the area and do not chart their course. I will also venture to say that many have bought chart and have them on board and do not ever look at them.

G

·
I carry the St Clair River, LSC, and Detroit River chart book on the boat, and I have a copy of it at home and an old one at work. I refer to it when going someplace new or if I’m running in the rivers. Thanks for the description of where the barge is. I’ve heard of it but never knew where it was. From the looks of it on the chart, it should really be marked or at least a nav channel should be marked in that area to keep people out of the shallows.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you have the coordinates for this Barge? I have charts but they don't indicate a sunken barge. I run through that area quite abit.

G

·
I’m assuming it’s showing on the chart as a “+++” symbol at approx 42 36.3’N 82 32.9’W. Someone correct me if I’m off…

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fugawi View shows the sinking-boat symbol, meaning it's a partially submerged wreck, with part of the hull above water, at 42' 36.3906N x 82' 32.8995 W. Is part of the hull visible above water? If not, then it's supposed to be charted with the oval with the +++ inside it, not the sinking-boat symbol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
N42 37.676 W82 38.347

This is the Middle Channel, and it is marked with an oval and +++ on my chart

Gary's original note referred to one in the North Channel.

Are we all talking about the same barge??

·
Registered
269 Posts
A friend of friend just hit that barge on his 42' Scarab. This location happens to be right by one of my realatives. Everyone be careful.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is the one I was refering to. It might be 8" below the water right now.

·
12,052 Posts
I've jetskied over this barge in the past and its always been under water. Technically it is OUT of the channel. My friend's inlaw's have a cottage in the little bay the curve in the channel makes, so he showed it to me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts