·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me....

Army 1987-1995

Basic Traing @ Ft. Jackson

AIT @ Ft. Gordon

Stationed in Wash D.C., Colorado, Germany & too many deployments to list.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Navy

1975 - 1981

U.S.S. Fanning FF1076
U.S.S. Cook FF1083

Sonar Tech, E5

Home port was San Diego for both ships. Made two west pacific cruises. Been all over the Pacific and Indian oceans. We were off of Iran during the hostage crisis in the straights of Hormuz monitoring shipping traffic. What fun. Enjoyed the oceans and cruising parts. Go figure.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Deputy Dave

USS Bofa Deez

USS Deez Nuts

I'm not a veteran but I'm in the sh#t every day.

I guess there isn't to many vet's on the net huh?!

Much RESPECT to all Military!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I thought you had to actually be in a war to be called a veteran.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Female veteran here.
1993-1997
Boot:Orlando Fl.
U.S.S. Simon Lake(AS-33)1993-1994
Norfolk Naval Command1994-1995
U.S.S. John C. Seinnis(CVN-74)1995-1997

From what I can remember I had the most fun on the Simon Lake. It was homeported in La Maddelana, Italy.

By the way if you were in any branch of the Armed Services you are a Vet. You don't have to be in a war.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Bigtatas @ Jan 5 2004, 01:39 PM)By the way if you were in any branch of the Armed Services you are a Vet. You don't have to be in a war.
OK. I'm just not used to hearing the word veteran without stuff like Vietnam or World War II before it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jan 5 2004, 01:46 PM)QUOTE(Bigtatas @ Jan 5 2004, 01:39 PM) By the way if you were in any branch of the Armed Services you are a Vet. You don't have to be in a war.
OK. I'm just not used to hearing the word veteran without stuff like Vietnam or World War II before it.

Totaly understandable.
Veterans of Forign Wars are a diffrent story. Those are Vietnam, WWII, Korean, Pursian Gulf,ect. vets. But yes in the end we are all Veterans.

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
USN: 1985 - 1991

Boot & A School: Great Lakes, IL
Nuclear Power School: Orlando, FL
Nuclear Welding School: San Diego, CA
Prototype Training: Idaho Falls, ID

USS Cavalla SSN-684, homeport Pearl Harbor & San Francisco

USS MCkee AS-41, homeport San Diego

·
Registered
284 Posts
US Army-1964-1967

Basic: Ft. Gordon, GA

AIT: Ft. Jackson, CS

During Viet Nam But never went

Stationed -Ft. Benning GA then went to germany

·
Registered
353 Posts
USCG - 1981 - 1987
Electronics Tech 2nd Class (E5)

Boot Camp - Cape May, NJ '81

USCGC Hamilton (WHEC 715 - Boston) '81 - '83

ET "A" school - Govenors Island, NY - '83

Crypto "C" schools - Mare Island, CA - '83 - '84

USCGC Dallas (WHEC 716 - NYC) '84 - '86

Commsta Boston '86 - '87

Many, Many tours in the Caribbean for Drug Inforcement and migration interdiction. RefTra in Gitmo, Cuba. Involved in Grenada rebuilding, and the Dallas was On-Scene-Commander for the Challenger recovery in 1986. Best memories: a 1 week port of call in Reykjavik, Iceland - Parties and Blondes; 4-wheeling in my CJ-7 on the beaches of Southern Massachusetts! Been to many Caribbean Islands as well as Venezuela and Columbia.

·
LSCN Sponsor
328 Posts
This may sound kind of corney, but I never had any desire to serve in the armed forces. Probably just to selfish. Got a good job with decent pay at 18 and started spending.

But always had a high respect for all of you who have and even if you never were in an actual battle you all deserve a simple

"THANKS"

because you did choose to take the chance and to give time to protect "US" and what we all take for granted.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crypto "C" schools - Mare Island, CA - '83 - '84

Zesty, What kind of school was that? I was 35G (fixed communications equipment repairer... also crypto) in the Army. Went to school @ Ft. Gordon in Georgia.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't consider myself a VET but I tried.

United States Marine Corps.

Boot: Parris Island, South Carolina

Date: Nov. 1992 to Jan. 1993.

Discharged due to knee injury.

Rob

·
Registered
666 Posts
Not a vet, but I have worked directly for the Department of Army going on 13 years now. Combat vehicle reaearch & development.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
QUOTE(boatnfish @ Jan 6 2004, 08:07 AM)Not a vet, but I have worked directly for the Department of Army going on 13 years now. Combat vehicle reaearch & development.
GD Land Systems?

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
QUOTE(Zesty @ Jan 6 2004, 03:03 AM)Crypto "C" schools - Mare Island, CA - '83 - '84
zesty,

my submarine did a refit at mare island in 1988-1989. i loved it there. i lived in vallejo for awhile then rented an apartment in benicia.

btw... mare island isn't a shipyard anymore. it's an industrial park now.

MARE ISLAND CLOSURE INFO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Navy

1991-1992 Orlando Nuke School
1992-1995 USS Simon Lake (AS-33) La Maddelena, Italy
1995-1996 USS America (CV-66) Med Cruise
1996-1998 SIMA Norfolk, VA

EM2, E-5

Cool ride.

·
Registered
353 Posts
QUOTE(Gus @ Jan 6 2004, 12:34 PM)QUOTE(Zesty @ Jan 6 2004, 03:03 AM) Crypto "C" schools - Mare Island, CA - '83 - '84
zesty,

my submarine did a refit at mare island in 1988-1989. i loved it there. i lived in vallejo for awhile then rented an apartment in benicia.

btw... mare island isn't a shipyard anymore. it's an industrial park now.

Yeah - it was good times there!! Did the poor mans Napa vally wine testing (collect gas money, head to the top of the valley and get free samples at all the wineries on the way back to base- quite the hang over!) and Went to a LOT of bars. There was a bar there that catered to the "Bubbleheads" but I can't remember the name - we were offered inclusion as coasties because the bikers that frequented the place respected the service. Did ya ever eat at the Naugles taco shop just off base??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts