Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I don't usually have trees, but no matter how much H20 that they need, add a coupla tablespoons of sugar. Like any living thing the tree will convert it into schtuff that it needs...and be greener longer, and loose fewer needles,
Funny, beer and pop does the trick too. I always dump the 'remants', or half drunk beers into the larger plants that I have. They convert the alcohol into carbos and just love it. But, even with humans, everything in moderation!!! Just ask Jerry Baker!! If you don't know Jerry, do a google on him and you'll see!!!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
QUOTE(damn yankee @ Dec 17 2003, 06:48 PM)I don't usually have trees, but no matter how much H20 that they need, add a coupla tablespoons of sugar. Like any living thing the tree will convert it into schtuff that it needs...and be greener longer, and loose fewer needles,
Funny, beer and pop does the trick too. I always dump the 'remants', or half drunk beers into the larger plants that I have. They convert the alcohol into carbos and just love it. But, even with humans, everything in moderation!!! Just ask Jerry Baker!! If you don't know Jerry, do a google on him and you'll see!!!
my FIRST real tree, ever in my life, is losing needles. so i took your suggestion just now and put some sugar in the base with water.

hopefully it'l help.

i'm sick of vacuuming those damn needles up. it doesnt help that my new carpet is so light.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
I heard that if you put a little, very tiny bit of that blue-green miracle grom in the water it really helps the tree last longer too.
just what i heard.

i believe if fake, less messy 2-3 pc constuction, no needles
ect....
had a ral one like 6 yrs ago, smelled awesome, but was terrified it would catch fire when i left lights on, and did not appreciate kleening up all those friggen pine needles !

i put real pine cones in my fake tree for that fresh pine tree scent now

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try the sugar thing. I have never heard that. My tree is still very green and I am not currently having needle problems.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Damn Yankee - you should never have "half drunk beers". So you need to quit wasting alcohol my friend!

I don't give my tree any water. I'm so mean. Oh wait - it's fake!

But I have heard of the sugar idea. Guess it works.

·
Registered
397 Posts
We add the same 2 liters/day (which reminds me......)

Different varietys of trees hold up better than others.

Scotch Pines are the worst that's why they are the cheapest ($20 to $25 available anywhere)

Balsam Firs are the true "traditional" x-mas tree and smell the best and drop fewer needles than pine ($40 - $55 available anywhere)

Fraser Firs have slightly shorter needles than the Balsams. The Fraser Firs last the longest and drop the fewest needles but don't smell as good as a Balsam. (most expensive $60 - $80 and may be difficult to find)

If your real tree isn't drinking about 2 liters/day you may have forgot to cut 3 inches off the bottom when you got home. The lack of water will dry up and kill any species of tree and cause more needles to turn brown and fall off. A dry tree will also have a higher risk of catching fire. So please make sure you check your water every day.

Now if you'll excuse me....I have to go water mine

·
LSCN Sponsor
328 Posts
Water your christmas tree.....

HMMM that explains the twig in my living room...

Just kidding

I have to say I love our tree we cut it ourselves on the piece of land that next year will be our home so it is kind of sentimental though not perfect in shape and size.

Is there any such thing as an ugly Christmas tree???

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Dec 17 2003, 06:29 PM)Mine is on a steady 2 liter a day consumption.
ours too. even with the sugar...but we aren't having needle problems yet..also depends on the size of the tree. Ours is 8 foot tall and around 4 foot around.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
according to the tree people at Semrau on Gratiot. Sugar will help it last longer but make it likly to drip sap. (very very bad) Aspirin will aslo do a good job at extending the life of a chopped tree. The best thing to feed it is miracle grow.

·
Registered
765 Posts
We have a huge tree stand and we fill it morning and night to keep it from drying up. I never measured the amount of water.

Semrau's is a good source of info for both trees and flowers. We used to always shop there when we lived in Eastpointe.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry the picture is sideways---

·
Registered
2,898 Posts

Beautiful Tree! We hope to get one that tall for next year, still a fake one of course unless I can talk Jeff into getting a real one!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Boss @ Dec 18 2003, 03:32 PM)

Beautiful Tree! We hope to get one that tall for next year, still a fake one of course unless I can talk Jeff into getting a real one!
No way! Its such a waste of poor, defensless trees.

There's nothing sadder than seeing a half-dead tree laying on the curb waiting for the garbage men.

A fake one gets to do it all again next year. Plus, no sap, needles, squirrels, etc.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts