Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3,236 Posts
Never bow hunted as a youth and my first bow was a 70 pounder and so is my current bow. I understand that you can use a lot less than that I am just curious to see what you guys think the minimum ethical draw weight is? I intend to restrict him to a ground blind with a maximum distance of 15 yards and only allow him to take perfect braodsiders. Off the top of my head I would think 35 pounds would get the job done but again I really do not have experience using light weight bows and I don't want to ruin his first experience by allowing him to take a shot that he has no chance of making.

·
Registered
83 Posts
agreed, 30-35lb, sharp broadheads, and practice. My son shot at square targets with me. Was pretty good shooting dots. When i felt he was good enough, i brough out the 3d target. Boy was that an eye opener for him. He didnt know exactly where to shoot. Might be something to look into as well.

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(basshawk @ Aug 24 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>agreed, 30-35lb, sharp broadheads, and practice. My son shot at square targets with me. Was pretty good shooting dots. When i felt he was good enough, i brough out the 3d target. Boy was that an eye opener for him. He didnt know exactly where to shoot. Might be something to look into as well.

Could not agree more, knowing where to shoot is of primary importance and often overlooked. This year I will just limit him to perfect broadsiders so he does not have to think about angles etc. when dropping the dime on his first deer.

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Aug 24 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>30-35# Good broad heads too

Montec g5's. Been killing deer for the last 4 years with them without a problem.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
30-35# from people I have talked to. There is a nw youth bow out by Bear I believe that is pretty nice and all set up over at gander Mountain that I saw. Think I might get it for my daughter if sh is interested.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Took my first deer with a 35lb Darton compound with two pulleys, no cams. 15yrds, old a$$ fiberglass arrows (back in '91) and fixed blade thunderhead type broadheads. I was 12. I think I might even still have that bow laying around somewhere, I should get it out and fitted for my fiance...

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
30 to 35 is perfect anything lighter won't work that well. But you must have good broadheads at that poundage and good shot placement.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
when i was younger i remember my dad telling me i had to get up to 45 before i could even go. Never got it that high, i was more at high 30, like 38 and took three deer at that poundage. Just need good shot placement.

·
Registered
618 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Aug 24 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Aug 24 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>30-35# Good broad heads too

Montec g5's. Been killing deer for the last 4 years with them without a problem.

Tony, Rage came out with an low KE broadhead this year it is designed for low lb bows
they are the 2 blade design with a 1.5 cutting path check them out !

http://ragebroadheads.com/Products40KE.aspx

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(flippin_stick @ Aug 26 2009, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Tony @ Aug 24 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Aug 24 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>30-35# Good broad heads too

Tony, Rage came out with an low KE broadhead this year it is designed for low lb bows
they are the 2 blade design with a 1.5 cutting path check them out !

http://ragebroadheads.com/Products40KE.aspx

Will do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts