Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I started out fishing the northern part of the lake a few years ago and i had great success. I would rent a 14 foot boat aright off m-59 and jefferson. I would start off about 7 am and catch everything from pike, bass, jumbo perch, pumpkinseed and once i even hooked a musky but it got away. Anyways, recently i decided to try fishing down by the metro beach off of 16 and jefferson. I rented a boat from roys boat shop. Now ive been out there four times in the past few weeks and have not caught a damn thing. I have been out there from 7am to 7 pm and can not have any luck. Im not the greatest fisherman but a bad day for me used to be catching 10-15 fish. I have tried perch harnesses, walleye rigs, and just a plain weight with a lead coming out about 24 inches above the weight. Nothing is working for me can someone please help. Thank you.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Try using a fly rod drifting a crawler on a hook with no weight. This is the way I learned how to fish this lake and we use to catch everything this way and on a fly rod it was great. That or a cane pole. The cane pole is what I was using for my first two Muskie. Have fun and enjoy. Bob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Mielgamal: <--Welcome to the Lake Saint Clair Network.

Fishing Formula that will work.

Lite line 4lb. test Berkley FireLine smoke color.
1/8 oz. plain jighead tied direct.
Married to a 3in Berkley Gulp Grub or Power Grub, white or pumpkin color.
Send that baby and work it back as slow as poss. keeping it just off bottom. Get in 8-15 feet of water. General rule is Deep Summer, Shallow spring. When crankin back after cast, once in a while give it a slight twitch with the rod tip. Make it look alive. Try this and you'll be surprised.
Follow every step and I'll look forward to your report on how you did.

h2o<--says enjoy the catch

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Fire Line

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. I will defintely try both of these methods. One last thing, i don't have a fish finder so do you guys know any good fishings spots around the metro beach area and how do you find one without the fishfinder. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I've used a standard 25 foot medal tape concaved measurer. Just feed the tape in the water to find your dept. Another fool proof way is to tie a heavy bolt nut on a string lower it down hold the string @ the water line pull it up without letting go of the string and measure it in the boat. Drift till you find fish than anchor work the area, pull anchor and drift again. Spend at least 15-20 min. per anchored area. You can also mark at home every foot on the string to gauge it. Wifie's nail polish is good marking material but don't get ordered into the dog house doing that.

h2o<---says catch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello everyone...

I want to know someting. When i'm out on the lake with the boat i cant troll because it doesnt have a trolling motor. Should i just drift or anchor in one spot. Also, its a small aluminum boat and cant hadle the deeper waters (waves) so is there good fishing in the shallow waters (less than 7 feet). And lastly should i stay in, near or away frokm the seaweed beds. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
How many horse power is the motor your using? I would think, you would NOT have a problem trolling with it. Weeds attract fish. Try less than 7 but remember Deep Summer Shallow Spring. If your not getting bit less than 7 move deeper.

h2o

1 - 8 of 8 Posts