Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am really curious about those catfish in the lake, last time I caught a 30 inch cat on tube incidentally, but now I do want to know how big they can grow here and how to make a catfish rig?

Can someone share some pictures?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I catch all my cats on crawlers, never had much luck with cutbait. I fish from shore though. Just google catfish rigs and you'll get a plethora of info.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(dawson0919 @ Jun 18 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi there, I am really curious about those catfish in the lake, last time I caught a 30 inch cat on tube incidentally, but now I do want to know how big they can grow here and how to make a catfish rig?

Can someone share some pictures?

Anyone knows any hot spot?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Try the mouth of the Clinton River after a heavy rain like we have predicted for tonight. We use large frozen shrimp and suckers for cutbait on a double hook and sinker setup. The double hook and sinker setup is two snelled circle hooks tied directly to the main line, one on the bottom just above a heavy sinker and the other about 12 to 20 inches above the bottom hook. Shrimp seems to outperform all others baits. The last trip I went on in early May, three of us landed 21 catfish. All our fishing is done from shore

·
Registered
92 Posts
hahahaha i wish i would have taken pictures but didnt care enough to take them. i was out with my dad about a month and a half ago and we were going for smallmouth in front of selfridge in about 7ft of water. I was throwing a shallow running crank bait and a catfish slammed it. Landed him.....he was probably a 25 incher, then my dad makes a throw and gits a huge hit on a soft jerk bait, the drag started screaming, i thought it was a huge smallmouth. This thing jumped about 2' out of the water.....it ended up being like a 30 inch catfish when we landed it. hahah.

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE(IBrkUglyStiks @ Jun 20 2009, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hahahaha i wish i would have taken pictures but didnt care enough to take them. i was out with my dad about a month and a half ago and we were going for smallmouth in front of selfridge in about 7ft of water. I was throwing a shallow running crank bait and a catfish slammed it. Landed him.....he was probably a 25 incher, then my dad makes a throw and gits a huge hit on a soft jerk bait, the drag started screaming, i thought it was a huge smallmouth. This thing jumped about 2' out of the water.....it ended up being like a 30 inch catfish when we landed it. hahah.

I've caught 3 cats in the last 2 weeks trolling with crawler harnesses. We caught 2 big boys today. I got a picture of 1 of them the other flopped out of our hands as we were posing for the pic and landed back into the lake. We caught them right in front of metro beach.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE(hunt-n-nut @ Jun 19 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try the mouth of the Clinton River after a heavy rain like we have predicted for tonight. We use large frozen shrimp and suckers for cutbait on a double hook and sinker setup. The double hook and sinker setup is two snelled circle hooks tied directly to the main line, one on the bottom just above a heavy sinker and the other about 12 to 20 inches above the bottom hook. Shrimp seems to outperform all others baits. The last trip I went on in early May, three of us landed 21 catfish. All our fishing is done from shore

What was the size of the hooks, and how big were the catfish? (P.S.-You won't have to worry about me taking all of your fish, I release all my fish.)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well there are many ways but the biggest cat I ever caught was on a slip bobber about 5 ft down in 7 fow, the bait was a wad of frosted mini wheats smashed around a small treble hook,(my salmon rig for spawn) we were fishing for carp at the time, and I didn't even see the thing for about 10 minutes and another 10 to land it, it made 5 runs, then floated to the surface and when I got itin it was floating on its side, I thought for sure it was gonna die but after working it back n forth for another ten minutes it swam away, 28 inches and fat, good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts