Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

How to Clean a Perch in 10 seconds

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  wishinIBfishin 
#1 ·
My buddy sent me the link to this video off of you tube. Pretty cool...

#5 ·
QUOTE(givemethe @ Feb 22 2010, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i watched that a while ago. decided it wasnt for me because it definately doesnt get rid of the bones

This is true but the trick is to cook the fish properly and not to overcook it. When cooked properly the meat flakes right off the bones, leaving the bones behind. If overcooked the rib bones break right off the spine along with the meat. Once you get good at that, you'll probably change your mind when you see how much meat gets wasted during the usual fillet method for perch.

#6 ·
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Feb 22 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is true but the trick is to cook the fish properly and not to overcook it. When cooked properly the meat flakes right off the bones, leaving the bones behind. If overcooked the rib bones break right off the spine along with the meat. Once you get good at that, you'll probably change your mind when you see how much meat gets wasted during the usual fillet method for perch.
Especially on smaller ones. I tried that method this week, not as fast as he was, but results were nice IMO. Heating the deep fryer as we speak, hoping it flakes as it should. Even still, use that method, then do your fillets from a nice clean fish... seems easier to do to me. But then, Im no expert.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 22 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>saw a infomercial a while back about "unzipping fish" it's the no bones about it fish fileting system. Anyone ever heard of it or tried it?

That is how I do my walleyes. It is awesome. I'l do a pictoral this spring when I get some fillets. All you need is a fillet knife. 100% no bones and no wasted meat.

#9 ·
QUOTE(little guy @ Feb 22 2010, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 22 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>saw a infomercial a while back about "unzipping fish" it's the no bones about it fish fileting system. Anyone ever heard of it or tried it?

That is how I do my walleyes. It is awesome. I'l do a pictoral this spring when I get some fillets. All you need is a fillet knife. 100% no bones and no wasted meat.

Please do, I would love to see it. I am going try this technique.

#11 ·
Check out this tool. I wonder how it would work for perch. I know it works for trout, I've seen it work at a sportman show and they used a trout, but if it works on perch.....

#12 ·
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Feb 22 2010, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Check out this tool. I wonder how it would work for perch. I know it works for trout, I've seen it work at a sportman show and they used a trout, but if it works on perch.....

it says fish up to 3lbs, just gotta skin it at that point. I still would rather have the fish open in order to inspect the meat.

#14 ·
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Feb 23 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love how at the very end of the video the dudes are shown holding some nice supper, and then the last credit goes "remember to practice catch n release"...

Make up your mind buddy!

Otherwise, I gotta try this trick for sure.
I like to practice fillet and release!

#15 ·
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Feb 23 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love how at the very end of the video the dudes are shown holding some nice supper, and then the last credit goes "remember to practice catch n release"...

Make up your mind buddy!

Otherwise, I gotta try this trick for sure.

I had the same thought. Two minutes on how to extract the most meat possible from a tiny perch. And then a disclaimer at the end about catch and release...

Its kinda like the Kid Rock - Jack Daniels commercial out there right. I think its called Stag or something. At the very end they tack on the "Be Responsible, Don't Drink and Drive". Yeah right!

#16 ·
QUOTE(weapons of bass destructon @ Feb 23 2010, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its kinda like the Kid Rock - Jack Daniels commercial out there right. I think its called Stag or something. At the very end they tack on the "Be Responsible, Don't Drink and Drive". Yeah right!
That would be Jim Beam, called Red Stag, black cherry flavored whiskey... good stuff. You think Kid DnD's??

#21 ·
QUOTE(wishinIBfishin @ Feb 23 2010, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(weapons of bass destructon @ Feb 23 2010, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its kinda like the Kid Rock - Jack Daniels commercial out there right. I think its called Stag or something. At the very end they tack on the "Be Responsible, Don't Drink and Drive". Yeah right!
That would be Jim Beam, called Red Stag, black cherry flavored whiskey... good stuff. You think Kid DnD's??

Thats right. Jim Beam. Never had the stuff but have been meaning to give it a sampling. I doubt Kid DNDs, he's got peeps to drive him anywhere and everywhere, but every wanna be Kid Rock poser...hell yeah they're drinkin and driving. Just go to one of his concerts and watch the debauchery in the parking lot after the show!

#22 ·
QUOTE(weapons of bass destructon @ Feb 24 2010, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats right. Jim Beam. Never had the stuff but have been meaning to give it a sampling. I doubt Kid DNDs, he's got peeps to drive him anywhere and everywhere, but every wanna be Kid Rock poser...hell yeah they're drinkin and driving. Just go to one of his concerts and watch the debauchery in the parking lot after the show!
Right... and I applaud that he even added that advice to the commercial... if you're going out drinking, be smart and have a designated. Rotate the job amongst your group, everyone takes a turn. 'Course you have to have responsible friends! I know, I went to both shows last summer... he sure brings in the hot chicks and ********.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.