Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

kinda newbie here, been on the lake for a couple of years, but never really ventured too far from home. i'm docked on the salt river, and i'd like to know what you guys think the best way is to get down to riverside. i've heard alot of good things about this place on this site, could i get some good directions? i'm planning on getting a good chart this weekend before venturing out, by the way.

thanks in advance

nick

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
This would be the shortest route. If you don't want so much open water travel (and that can be one busy place to cross!), use the North Channel.

View attachment 62296

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jun 9 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This would be the shortest route. If you don't want so much open water travel (and that can be one busy place to cross!), use the North Channel.

View attachment 62296

thanks for the help away point. i'm going to try that route next week, i'm on vacation. one little question: those litte black flags on your route. are those actual markers in the lake?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
It's just me, but I go all the way to the freighter channel, and up that way. Well marked and plenty of water.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(nckcobra @ Jun 10 2009, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jun 9 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This would be the shortest route. If you don't want so much open water travel (and that can be one busy place to cross!), use the North Channel.

View attachment 62296

thanks for the help away point. i'm going to try that route next week, i'm on vacation. one little question: those litte black flags on your route. are those actual markers in the lake?

Glad to help!

Those flags represent change in course points in that route, and are not present on the water. The channels are, however, pretty well marked by channel buoys, but are a lot easier to understand if see them on a chart.

Forgive me if I mention what you already know...

Remember "Right, Red, Returning" with channel buoys. That is the rule of thumb when entering a harbor, but it is also true when heading predominately north in this area. The Red buoy should be on your right (green to left).

You could also continue the long south/east heading a little further and use the main South Channel, rather than the curved and narrow Old South Channel (right past the South Channel Lights).

Hopefully other's can offer advice too, as I'm not a long term veteran of LSC.

Be Safe, Good Luck, and Have Fun!

View attachment 62317

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Jun 10 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's just me, but I go all the way to the freighter channel, and up that way. Well marked and plenty of water.
Yes, good point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jun 10 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(freckles @ Jun 10 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's just me, but I go all the way to the freighter channel, and up that way. Well marked and plenty of water.
Yes, good point.

thanks again everyone for the good maps and directions. it seems like its pretty easy to get there, i'm still going to get some good charts this weekend to be sure.

thanks again

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I generally just run toward the middle channel and hang a right between bouy's 8 and 10. I head due south toward the second lighthouse (the one closer to land), pass on either side of it, and hang a left into the old south channel. Much easier / quicker than going out and around to get to the south channel. The only real obstacle out there is sand island, the only ways I know for sure to miss it are to either come in the middle channel like above or head for 1PH before cutting toward the lighthouses. If I were running a big inboard cruiser I'd be a little more cautious between any of the channels, but on a small I/O or outboard boat, there's no reason not to cut from the middle directly to the south.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
QUOTE(nckcobra @ Jun 10 2009, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jun 9 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This would be the shortest route. If you don't want so much open water travel (and that can be one busy place to cross!), use the North Channel.

View attachment 62296

This is a good thread. Can you run up that middle channel or is it no wake? We have been on the lake a few seasons now, but we have never made it to Browns or riverside. I need to get out and explore the channels as I have not ventured past Gull yet.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Mark @ Jun 16 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(nckcobra @ Jun 10 2009, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jun 9 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This would be the shortest route. If you don't want so much open water travel (and that can be one busy place to cross!), use the North Channel.

View attachment 62296

This is a good thread. Can you run up that middle channel or is it no wake? We have been on the lake a few seasons now, but we have never made it to Browns or riverside. I need to get out and explore the channels as I have not ventured past Gull yet.

I believe this what you want...

View attachment 62676

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So is Riverside the closest place to Gull island to get gas? We might be bringing the jet ski with us out to jobbie next week and that is good to know.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
If you're running to jobbienooner on the jet ski, I wouldn't plan on doing too much running around where you'll need gas. There are so many boats that getting to / from the island is difficult even on a PWC, and there are so many cops that I would expect to be stopped and quizzed just about every time you come or go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts