Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I just saw on the news that a Federal Judge has blocked the National-do-not-call-list from starting on Oct. 1
. I love how one person thinks he knows whats best for 50,000,000 other people, thats the number of people that have signed up for the list. I say that judge should bend over so all fifty million can shove their phones right up his/her ars, what a total a$$hole. I'm sure his/her family is very proud of them.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Sep 24 2003, 04:59 PM)Name, city, state; please. Let's call the judge!
YES !
AT DINNER TIME

LEAVE MESSAGES !

what the he** was he thinking, 50,000,000 people are for it and he is not,....ummm i smell a kick back for sure !
congress at it's best !

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
U.S. District Judge Lee West said the FTC overstepped its authority when it enabled consumers to place their home and mobile phone numbers off-limits to telemarketers.

This reaction is because several telemarketing firms sued to stop this, saying it violated free speech laws!

How about the right to a peacful dinner without the gotdamned phone ringing, you jacka$$es!!

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
free speach i agree in, but to force upon u stheir soliciting is wrong !

so can i sue every damn store, condo, apartment, golf club, restaraunt i see because they have a no soliciting sign on theur door ?
they are taking away my free speech according to this judge and phone solicitors.
isn't your home private property ?
aren't you allowed to refuse a normal citizen access to your private property?
isn't your land line in your home ?
so what gives ???
why is this not illlegal? they should be able to walk in your house then, sit at your dinner table with you and pitch stupid sales sh*t to you, wich most of us, if we want it we get it.
and we are not gonna get a phone call and some guy selling 38 yr subscription to underwater basket weaving digest, and say, owe yeah i wasnt that since ya called me !

this is f-in sad !

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Great, we gave out our personal information to the FTC to help stop unwanted
calls, they gave it to the telemarketers, and now the telemarketers could be
free to call everyone on that list.

nice

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
The whole free speech thing is supposed to be about the right to speak out against your government, period. WHF did this judge go to school.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
great now everyones name on the list will be sold to telemarketers,,,, iam with fast eddie can you say kick back ???

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
sincerely....... is this true????
here is mine and rump's exchange about this: (be prepared to laugh!) (and this is true!!!)
me: 'that is such crap."
rump:" i can see where the judge is coming form."
me: "why?"
rump: "cause there's a lot of peeps with out a job."
me: "so you want people to call you whenver they want about whatever they're selling??? god knows i don't! i hear the phone ring enough ! i don't want to hear it when i'm having a nice dinner with you or banging you. is that what you prefer?"
rump: "no. but they're employed."
me:"yeah, but do you really want a job getting peeps to sell crap over the phone."
rump: "no, but it's a job."
me: "yeah, well you make more at mc donald's and have more pride than having to call peeps out of the blue to get them to sign up for 1800 collect, there, carrot top."
rump: (*pause*) got apoint, babe.
me: "agreed. so do i get sex tonight?"
rump: "yes..how do you want it?"

what we're doing now

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Tear it up CK & Rump

ps. How many times do I have to tell Hanson's or Wallside that I do not want their fuggin' windows??? Uggh!!!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Sep 24 2003, 04:59 PM)Name, city, state; please. Let's call the judge!
The Federal Judge is U.S. District Judge Lee R. West in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

You know there has to be a kick back and he is on the payroll for the telemarketing comapny called U.S. Security. Out of the 5 telemarketing companies that were in on the suit, one of them was a local company. Probably have had the judge as a friend for a long time...............

The lawsuit Judge West ruled on Tuesday was filed by the Direct Marketing Association, Chartered Benefit Services Inc., Global Contact Services Inc., InfoCision Management Corp. and U.S. Security, which is based in Oklahoma City.

---

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
It's amazing that the telemarketing business is so huge! I have never responded to a sales pitch over the phone by doing any business with any of them, and usually tell the caller as politely as possible that I will now never deal with their firm because they called me. But there must be plenty of people who do respond or these companies would have died out long ago. We need to all make that clear and eventually the cost of calling us might outweigh the advantages.

I myself did some "dialing for dollars" years ago when I was an investment broker. It was the least offensive type of call you can receive, with me just introducing our new location to all the homes within two miles of us in Farmington Hills and inviting the homeowners to please call us for a free consultation or to answer any investment related questions they might have. Hi, how are you, we're here, please feel free to use us. We eventually picked up a half dozen clients that way after they came by, met us, and liked us, and they remained loyal clients. But the vast majority of folks even hated that kind of noncomittal informational call and it was easy to quit making them. I would rather take a beating than cold call another home.

As a result of that experience, I try to be nice to people who are just trying to earn a buck, but I always make it plain that if their selling, I ain't buying.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE(boatmonkey @ Sep 25 2003, 08:08 AM)It's amazing that the telemarketing business is so huge! I have never responded to a sales pitch over the phone by doing any business with any of them, and usually tell the caller as politely as possible that I will now never deal with their firm because they called me. But there must be plenty of people who do respond or these companies would have died out long ago. We need to all make that clear and eventually the cost of calling us might outweigh the advantages.

I myself did some "dialing for dollars" years ago when I was an investment broker. It was the least offensive type of call you can receive, with me just introducing our new location to all the homes within two miles of us in Farmington Hills and inviting the homeowners to please call us for a free consultation or to answer any investment related questions they might have. Hi, how are you, we're here, please feel free to use us. We eventually picked up a half dozen clients that way after they came by, met us, and liked us, and they remained loyal clients. But the vast majority of folks even hated that kind of noncomittal informational call and it was easy to quit making them. I would rather take a beating than cold call another home.

As a result of that experience, I try to be nice to people who are just trying to earn a buck, but I always make it plain that if their selling, I ain't buying.
I am in agreement with the Judge and Rumpshaker it seems.

Geeez o peets peeps! GET OVER IT. What's the big deal if you get a few phone calls here and there eh?

Do you really get phone calls during every dinner? Turn the phone off or don't answer it.

Do I like John Price calling me every week to offer me the latest football handicaps or the Macomb Daily for a subcription? NO.

Outlawing it is a clear violation of free speech and the philosophy behind it.

Don't laugh. The next step is outlawing strangers from talking to you.

Fire Away! LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.