Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my season was great compared to previous seasons as far as deer sightings and shots our group of six hunters shot 5 bucks two does just during the first week of gun season.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My days afield this year were alot fewer than years past. I just have'nt had the chance to get out much. I was fortunate enough to take a 6 pt in archery season behind my home and a great 12 pt on our bow hunt in Illinios. Though I was'nt out as much, I probably seen more deer per outing than in previous years. My son took a nice 8 pt and a doe in Illinios so the freezer is full. I still have an unused doe tag and my restricted buck tag so we'll see what the late archery and muzzleloader seasons brings.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pretty good season,
Seen a lot of smaller deer that hopefully get a chance to grow up,
Took a nice 8 with my bow,
Still have a month to see if I can find another good Buck.

Good luck to all

·
Registered
528 Posts
Aside from having my six point stolen out from under my nose, excellent.

3 hunters, my uncle, father, and myself. 5 Deer down between the three of us. I put down a spike in archery, the six point that was stolen opening morning, and a 175lb doe (field dressed) this past Saturday. Thats three for me (two in the freezer). My father got his first deer in 17yrs on the 16th (a doe). He was estatic. And my uncle got a nice big spike with 14" horns. We still have three tags (two restricted and one regular buck) to fill before the end of the year. We will see more deer in muzzleloading season. I took over stand placement and scouting for everyone as they just werent seeing the deer. Its been a work in progress. I scored 3 deer last season on my own with my uncle and father getting skunked. Heading back up on the 11th to see what else we can do.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Sucks. Been way too warm. Deer aren't moving like they should.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Nov 30 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Violators suck too!!!

Yep

·
3,236 Posts
On the three local properties I hunt I saw more bucks this season than the last two seasons combined. The ones I had in bow range were smaller racked younger bucks and all got a pass. Hopefully a couple get through and come walking by next season.
I saw and shot deer on other properties but since this was the first time I had hunted those properties I really have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
528 Posts
QUOTEDeer aren't moving like they should.

I beg to differ, at least 1.5hrs north of here they are moving just fine. We saw 40+ deer between the 3 of us in rifle season. I saw 20+ myself in bow season. Half a dozen of those were on October 1st and 2nd. However, with that said, 90% of them were does and shots during archery were limited, which is expected. I saw 6 bucks this season, pegged one with an arrow, one with a rifle and the rest were out of bow range. Pattern, Pattern Pattern. Quiet, stealth, scent control. We are religious with all of it. Stand placement and assignment based on wind patterns, etc. Its all vitale. I dont know how you hunt and you could be doing everything right, I dont know. What I do know is, if I could spend one full season scouting your hunting area, I could put you on deer the next year. Learning your area is more key than anything else. You can do scent control, be as quiet as possible, etc, and still not see deer because you are in the wrong place. I wish there was room to take everyone here with me and show them the area I hunt. I love to see everyone be successful at hunting.

The doe I shot Saturday morning was in herd of 4 does. An older guy came in early in the morning and sat down 100yrds right in front of my new stand placement with his back to me. Most hunters would get PO'd about that. I didnt. I knew that if he was loud, which he was, that deer only go about 100-200yrds out of their way to avoid danger, they dont understand firearms can still harm them. If you pay close attention to deer, they will only run about 100-200yrds tops away from a human and then go into a trot or sneak unless pushed hard (i.e. human runs after them which I have done!). This guy was coughing and making all sorts of bodily function noises. Thats when I saw the 4 does, looking right at him. They were headed for him on my left. They then started to sneak towards me and went behind me, coming out on my right and then moved right under my stand 10yrds right in front of me, staring in the direction of the coughing hunter. They couldnt see him, but they knew he was there and were going to just circle around him. I let the biggest one have it at ten yards. Should have seen that guy jump out of his little chair when my 300winmag went off. I had coughed and flashed my light at him when he come walking in, his fault for not leaving.

My whole point of that last long paragraph is that deer are not as complicated as most people think. They are a big animal that need sleep, water, food, and once a year sex. Thats it. Deer even develop runways and naturally funnel through areas because of their limited brains. Sure they see movement well at distance...dont move fast. Yes they have great noses, use scent control and hunt the wind. Concealment is key. I refuse to wear solid bright orange hunters outfits (I am legal with what I do wear, orange camo vest and orange hat). I swear to god that deer see that HUGE bright orange object and know it isnt right, even though they are color blind, they still see this solid block versus they varying trees and brush.

I just want to mention that I define success of deer hunting as filling my freezer. There are not a lot of wall hangers where I hunt. I have seen maybe 4 deer over 120 class in my lifetime where I am, shot, or alive. I also certainly dont consider anyone who steps out their back yard and shoots a B&C or P&Y successful either. That person bought their deer with their house, they didnt really go out and earn it. And if they had to go to a different state and hunt somewhere else, they would probably get skunked if not under the guidance of an outfitter. When I worked at Bass Pro, we would have these guys come in with photos of 120+ class deer and when asked where they got it, their response was "In my back yard in Clarkston" or something like that. Further probing would yield they probably shot it from their porch or kids treefort while wearing their pajamas and the deer was in their garden. I'm sorry, thats not hunting skill.

I better stop before I write a book.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The area i hunted for the first time this year was farm land . Our property was all soy beans this year the nabiouring 100 or so acres where planted in corn as of Saturday was still standing
every deer iv seen the past week have been in the fields. A good plus tho is our tree lines are all apple trees with apples all over the ground still. once the corn is gone those deer well be all over the apple trees. I want some snow dammit for the muzzel load season

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Nov 30 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTEDeer aren't moving like they should.

I beg to differ, at least 1.5hrs north of here they are moving just fine. We saw 40+ deer between the 3 of us in rifle season. I saw 20+ myself in bow season. Half a dozen of those were on October 1st and 2nd. However, with that said, 90% of them were does and shots during archery were limited, which is expected. I saw 6 bucks this season, pegged one with an arrow, one with a rifle and the rest were out of bow range. Pattern, Pattern Pattern. Quiet, stealth, scent control. We are religious with all of it. Stand placement and assignment based on wind patterns, etc. Its all vitale. I dont know how you hunt and you could be doing everything right, I dont know. What I do know is, if I could spend one full season scouting your hunting area, I could put you on deer the next year. Learning your area is more key than anything else. You can do scent control, be as quiet as possible, etc, and still not see deer because you are in the wrong place. I wish there was room to take everyone here with me and show them the area I hunt. I love to see everyone be successful at hunting.

The doe I shot Saturday morning was in herd of 4 does. An older guy came in early in the morning and sat down 100yrds right in front of my new stand placement with his back to me. Most hunters would get PO'd about that. I didnt. I knew that if he was loud, which he was, that deer only go about 100-200yrds out of their way to avoid danger, they dont understand firearms can still harm them. If you pay close attention to deer, they will only run about 100-200yrds tops away from a human and then go into a trot or sneak unless pushed hard (i.e. human runs after them which I have done!). This guy was coughing and making all sorts of bodily function noises. Thats when I saw the 4 does, looking right at him. They were headed for him on my left. They then started to sneak towards me and went behind me, coming out on my right and then moved right under my stand 10yrds right in front of me, staring in the direction of the coughing hunter. They couldnt see him, but they knew he was there and were going to just circle around him. I let the biggest one have it at ten yards. Should have seen that guy jump out of his little chair when my 300winmag went off. I had coughed and flashed my light at him when he come walking in, his fault for not leaving.

My whole point of that last long paragraph is that deer are not as complicated as most people think. They are a big animal that need sleep, water, food, and once a year sex. Thats it. Deer even develop runways and naturally funnel through areas because of their limited brains. Sure they see movement well at distance...dont move fast. Yes they have great noses, use scent control and hunt the wind. Concealment is key. I refuse to wear solid bright orange hunters outfits (I am legal with what I do wear, orange camo vest and orange hat). I swear to god that deer see that HUGE bright orange object and know it isnt right, even though they are color blind, they still see this solid block versus they varying trees and brush.

I just want to mention that I define success of deer hunting as filling my freezer. There are not a lot of wall hangers where I hunt. I have seen maybe 4 deer over 120 class in my lifetime where I am, shot, or alive. I also certainly dont consider anyone who steps out their back yard and shoots a B&C or P&Y successful either. That person bought their deer with their house, they didnt really go out and earn it. And if they had to go to a different state and hunt somewhere else, they would probably get skunked if not under the guidance of an outfitter. When I worked at Bass Pro, we would have these guys come in with photos of 120+ class deer and when asked where they got it, their response was "In my back yard in Clarkston" or something like that. Further probing would yield they probably shot it from their porch or kids treefort while wearing their pajamas and the deer was in their garden. I'm sorry, thats not hunting skill.

I better stop before I write a book.

Ignorance is bliss.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Nov 30 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTEDeer aren't moving like they should.

I was more referring to the fact that I prefer hunting when it's cold as hell out.
The deer not moving like they should was more about my idiot neighbor dumping tons of bait and changing the deers travel routes.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I would rate it as decent didn't see as many deer as I used to see but I also was hunting state land down here and not the private property up north. But I faired well for deer taken two bucks and three does in the freezer

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Mines been pretty good. Filled 2 out of 3 tags, 2-1/2 and 4-1/2 yr. does. Still have Dec. for Bucky the Wonderbuck, but will take another doe with the bow if it gets to the last week of Dec.
The late rut kicks in just in time for muzzleloader.

Seen more deer on the property this season than the last 4 years.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had to mark excellent as this is about the first season I've gone after deer more than once or twice. I've shot archery consistently for last 15 years or so but mostly hunt with my dad who is strictly a bird/duck hunter. Decided to take up deer hunting for whatever reason this year and having a blast.

Hunting state land close to home I didn't have high expectations. Plus I've switched to traditional gear which limits me to about 25yds. I've hunted probably only a total of 20 hours or so this year so I have no one to blame for having an empty freezer but myself. There was a great 11 point taken from the very swamp I hunted earlier in the year proving its all about putting in your time. There was also a 6 and 8pt taken within a half mile of where I hunt with a 14+ and a huge 8 pt also known to frequent the area.

Sunday morning was the first day I was on deer. After getting a late start I bumped into two hunters also hunting the same area. Frustrated I took to higher ground a stalked along a hiking trail. Good choice. Just a 100yds down I stalked to within 40 yds on 7 does (damn that was a lot of eyes!), quickly setup along their run after they moved off and had a 4 pt come to within maybe 10-12yds max. I was on the ground with it coming straight on so I couldnt draw due to lack of cover. I never imagined my heart to be pumping so hard over a forkhorn!
i was planning to put up a treestand like everyone else in the area but that was too cool to be one on one with them. I think I'll stick it out this season on the ground.

Bring on the snow!!!!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
man i have been having a hard time. been working to help the lady get ready for winter. she uses wood for her heat from her property and i have been logging it and hunting it so not much action but we're done with that for now and have been seeing some . i think the last half is going to be good i just need a muzzle loader and it would be great.
........... and scott if you need any help with those deer let me know i have a freezer that could be loaded

1 - 20 of 49 Posts