Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming up from KY in a couple weeks to smallmouth fish, just got back from lake erie and they were on the nest and the mayfly hatch was in full effect, just wondering how St. Clair was doing? Thanks in advanced for any help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got back from Lake St. Clair, and it was our worst trip fishing-wise we've ever had. We still caught plenty of fish, but the quality wasn't as good nor the quantity. But the weather wasn't the greatest, and probably had a lot to do with it. Don't be discouraged though, it could be great when you go. We've had a lot of luck in July.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Slow today, post frontal conditions and dirty water in one spot yeilded one huge sheephead, roughly 27 inches and I'd guestimate around 7 pounds. No wind, high humidity and BUGS everywhere. After eating a couple dozen we moved to Anchor Bay. Had a nice size pike follow a Mepps, caught a dozen or so rock bass and, a couple largemouth, and one bluegill.
Water was clearer in the bay and the bite was faster, but nothing to get excited over.

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 21 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slow today, post frontal conditions and dirty water in one spot yeilded one huge sheephead, roughly 27 inches and I'd guestimate around 7 pounds. No wind, high humidity and BUGS everywhere. After eating a couple dozen we moved to Anchor Bay. Had a nice size pike follow a Mepps, caught a dozen or so rock bass and, a couple largemouth, and one bluegill.
Water was clearer in the bay and the bite was faster, but nothing to get excited over.

Im coming up from Ohio this Friday the 26th. I hope the fishing is decent. Really want to put my friend on some fish. I would probably care less if i caught any. I just want to see him catch some. Im gonna be more or less a guide. lol. But it will be sooooooo worth it.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I would like to welcome both of you (magiksmallie and cincy fisher) to the site. And as far as I hear it is hit and miss right now on fishing.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(FABA_GUY @ Jun 22 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 21 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slow today, post frontal conditions and dirty water in one spot yeilded one huge sheephead, roughly 27 inches and I'd guestimate around 7 pounds. No wind, high humidity and BUGS everywhere. After eating a couple dozen we moved to Anchor Bay. Had a nice size pike follow a Mepps, caught a dozen or so rock bass and, a couple largemouth, and one bluegill.

Im coming up from Ohio this Friday the 26th. I hope the fishing is decent. Really want to put my friend on some fish. I would probably care less if i caught any. I just want to see him catch some. Im gonna be more or less a guide. lol. But it will be sooooooo worth it.

From the sounds of things at this point, the weather should be better this coming weekend. The storms that rolled through last Friday made a mess. Good thing you waited on the trip.

Just remember this weekend is the weekend of Jobbie Nooner, lots of boats and traffic in the north end of the lake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 21 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slow today, post frontal conditions and dirty water in one spot yeilded one huge sheephead, roughly 27 inches and I'd guestimate around 7 pounds. No wind, high humidity and BUGS everywhere. After eating a couple dozen we moved to Anchor Bay. Had a nice size pike follow a Mepps, caught a dozen or so rock bass and, a couple largemouth, and one bluegill.

Is it just me or is there more big Sheephead in St. Clair this year? I caught a 5lb'er Friday in 14' and in Saturday's NBAA Tourney we caught 3 more 6lb/8lb/6lb dropshotting 15-16' FOW out from 9 Mile. Is this normal? I have been lucky enough not to ever catch a drum on Clair in the past 4 years...

Duane

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(TournamentReadyTackle @ Jun 22 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 21 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slow today, post frontal conditions and dirty water in one spot yeilded one huge sheephead, roughly 27 inches and I'd guestimate around 7 pounds. No wind, high humidity and BUGS everywhere. After eating a couple dozen we moved to Anchor Bay. Had a nice size pike follow a Mepps, caught a dozen or so rock bass and, a couple largemouth, and one bluegill.

Is it just me or is there more big Sheephead in St. Clair this year? I caught a 5lb'er Friday in 14' and in Saturday's NBAA Tourney we caught 3 more 6lb/8lb/6lb dropshotting 15-16' FOW out from 9 Mile. Is this normal? I have been lucky enough not to ever catch a drum on Clair in the past 4 years...

Duane

I'll take that kind of luck anyday. Sure they give a good fight, but I can say much else for them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[/quote]name='Mini' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:22 PM' post='881536']
I would say normal...
[/quote]

Good because this bass die off and the lack of good sized Smallies has me worried...

[/quote]
I'll take that kind of luck anyday. Sure they give a good fight, but I can say much else for them.
[/quote]

10-4

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
I'd say the usual amount of sheephead as well. Although this year I've caught more of them on crankbaits than I care to admit.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Me too Doug, what's up with that? When they decide they want it, they take it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think the smallie's have slowed down. It was great action by the mile roads yesterday. Between 10-11 FOW. I caught about a dozen between 7:30pm-8:30pm. Plus, a couple of largemouth. Silver & Brass Crawler Harnesses. Slow retreive, no weights.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Weather and Mayflies seem to ba an issue right now. Prob will be better when u show up. Last Monday we hammered the smallies and LMB in 13.5-12 FOW. This Monday fishing for SMB and LMB got 2 Smallies a pike and a walleye. VERY SLOW! They r hitting Red?Black White bellie and Green/Yellow bellied crainkbaits for me. Should be better in a few days I think. G/L

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yepper just cranks. Forgot the nightcrawlers so no harnesses used. My buddy tried a couple plastics but didn't hit a thing. All I used the whole day were cranks!
I forgot to mention my fishin buddy got a sheephead on the red and black crank!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts