Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
QUOTE(iLLuZiiOn x @ Mar 11 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does anyone have a Htc Hero or any android os based phone? Im thinking of trading my Blackberry Tour for an Htc Hero.

Any input?

I have a Droid and my wife has the Blackberry. If your a big texter or e-mail person you will want the Blackberry. Straight forward and easy. If you want the world in your hands you want the droid. It's bulkier but really fast and I am amazed at what it can do. My only real complaint is the touch screen is to sensitive. I press things when I am just trying to scroll the screen. Our kids have the I touch and the touch screen on that is perfect. All in all I love the phone. It's actually a good phone with a lot of cool gadgets attached to it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’ve had the Hero for a couple months. I love the phone. The apps are great and the possibilities seem endless. As for using it as a phone I have found the quality to be great, better then my Instinct. If you leave the WiFi and Data connection on it will eat your battery. Those items can be turned on and off easily. I have to charge my phone every night or it will not make it till the morning. Of course I use it constantly.

·
LSCN Sponsor
142 Posts
QUOTE(iLLuZiiOn x @ Mar 11 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does anyone have a Htc Hero or any android os based phone? Im thinking of trading my Blackberry Tour for an Htc Hero.

Any input?

I have had the HTC Hero for about 6 months. If you do alot of texting you probably will not like the touch screen. It is very sensitive and in my opinion it is made for a womans fingers. It also will eat up the battery if your on the web. Otherwise for calls its great, good battery life, few dropped calls.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
I went from a blackberry to a Motorola Droid, and I can agree with all of what SteveO said. The Droid does have a slide out keyboard so typing is way easier than on the touch screen, but not as fast and accurate as a Blackberry. Also, forget about one-handed typing like you can do on the Blackberry.

I'm amazed at all that the Droid can do. Today on a trip to Lansing I used the built in GPS with turn by turn directions, that works even while you're talking on the phone. On the way home I listened to pod casts, still while using the navigation. The number of apps is amazing. I've no issues with reception or call quality. Dialing is much easier than a blackberry because you have big on-screen numbers to touch.

On the downside, the battery life might be a deal breaker. With minimal texting and under 20 minutes of talking, starting from a full charge at 6:30, it was dead by 3pm. That is with Wifi, GPS, and Bluetooth off. That can't be normal for the phone though, so I'm trying a replacement battery to see if that makes any difference. Hopefully it does, because I really enjoy the phone.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Mar 11 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the downside, the battery life might be a deal breaker. With minimal texting and under 20 minutes of talking, starting from a full charge at 6:30, it was dead by 3pm. That is with Wifi, GPS, and Bluetooth off. That can't be normal for the phone though, so I'm trying a replacement battery to see if that makes any difference. Hopefully it does, because I really enjoy the phone.

Do you have a task killer? That is a big key to saving battery life. All of the apps you use throughout the day stay running in the background. My battery lasts a lot longer now that I can "kill" apps that I am done using.

I have the droid also, and I love it. My wife and rest of the family got the droid eris and they all love that phone too. It is just not quite as fast as the motorola droid, but much thinner and lighter.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Mar 12 2010, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Mar 11 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the downside, the battery life might be a deal breaker. With minimal texting and under 20 minutes of talking, starting from a full charge at 6:30, it was dead by 3pm. That is with Wifi, GPS, and Bluetooth off. That can't be normal for the phone though, so I'm trying a replacement battery to see if that makes any difference. Hopefully it does, because I really enjoy the phone.

Do you have a task killer?

yes I do!

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
I'm still on the fence. I can't trade till July so I still have time to decide. I'm happy with the LG Voyager which is replaced by the LG Envy. Guess I'll have to visit the Verizon store and try the different phones out soon.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Mar 12 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Mar 12 2010, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Mar 11 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the downside, the battery life might be a deal breaker. With minimal texting and under 20 minutes of talking, starting from a full charge at 6:30, it was dead by 3pm. That is with Wifi, GPS, and Bluetooth off. That can't be normal for the phone though, so I'm trying a replacement battery to see if that makes any difference. Hopefully it does, because I really enjoy the phone.

Do you have a task killer?

yes I do!

Oh man. I know these phones arent great on batteries, but that is ridiculous. Hopefully it is just a bad battery. I did buy a car charger when I first started using the phone, but since installing task killer I havent had to use it much. Although if I use the turn by turn nav or something like that it will be handy.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I have the ERIS and my son has the Moto Droid. Like someone else said, the keyboard is nice on the droid, but my ERIS is smaller and lighter and fits more easily into a pocket. You need to do a screen calibration to effectively use the on-screen keyboard. I did not know about this at first and I was constantly having to re-type things. After I did the screen calibration with the keyboard, it is much better.

They do make aftermarket batteries for most of the android phones now, with some adding 50% more time. Some have a larger back case to cover a larger battery though. I have not really had a big problem with the battery, but it doesn't last near as long as my blackberry did. And killing apps you aren't using IS a big key (as is limiting any bluetooth or wifi)

The ERIS can use any standard mini-usb charger, the droid has a different connector. I have lots of mini-usbs, so I can plug the phone in and top it off wherever I'm at.

You can find all kinds of apps.... and lots and lots are FREE which is the part I like best.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Had the Droid since the day it came out and never looked back. Greatest phone I've had. I do a lot of text.. yes with one hand on the wheel (sorry) and I never have any trouble. Plus the operating system never hangs like a win op system. The Apps are great and it is useful as a phone.

In fact, it's got one of the great Apps over the IPhone ... Its the "I can make a call without dropping it" App!!!

I have a number of people at work with blackberries and Iphones and they are all slowly coming to realize the benefits of the Android System.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a google phone and I have had an awesome experience with the android platform. I would check out CNET.com and type in htc hero in the search and they play a short video. I don't have one for sale but anything HTC usually rocks. I have had HTC phones for the last 5 years. All good experiences. I herd the Hero is Sweet.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I just found a HTC Google G1 in the middle of 17 mile rd....

it was on when I found it, but the battery died. Doesnt seem to want to charge. Would like to see if another battery will power up the phone prior to me selling it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts