Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a lot of land being listed lately and curious for those of you who own land what are the usual costs per year? I know it varies from area to area but just trying to get a feel for things like taxes and such as they apply to vacant land.

Acre costs seem to start around $850 an acre but trying to get a feel for all the yearly costs as well...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been looking into buying a 40 acre lot in the thumb area from my brother.He has owned the property for many years, and the taxes are around 750 per year . I contacted the township and they said the taxes would double if not triple when new ownership transfers. I am currently trying to figure a way around this to save 1500 bucks a year. The only thing on the property is a hundred year old barn ,that i keep a 25 ft travel trailer in. Kind of expensive for deer hunting. But might not be a bad investment down the line
. Time will only tell on that one.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I had property in the UP, Trout Lake, and built a house on it. Taxes were cheap ,$300, without a structure on it, and went up to nearly $800 with the house done. still cheap, but I just hated the long drive up north to do more work. Having two places is just a pain in the a$$. Just my opinion. Sold the place, and now enjoy traveling to other places to visit.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Rt now is agood time if your gonna jump in, while your state equalized value will jump up when it becomes uncapped, I wrote a letter to the township with some comparables from the realtor who did our paper work and got min cut down to what we actually paid, even though the assessor said the sale price didn't matter when I first contacted her, the people who sit on the tax board though are average people and it seems like they are lowring everybody because of the economy, they want neighbors not run down eyesores, I have 5 acres with 1000' of trout stream and my taxes were aroun $500 summer+winter, and start low, I know it sounds harsh but people are dsperate and it's only worth what someones willing to pay, it took me three years and a hundred weekends looking til I found what I wanted at my price, but that was part of the fun, when you find your place, don't procrastanate, put in a offer, good luck.

Oh and dont forget about, well/septic maintenance, propane, four wheeler/snowmachine, electricity(08 bill $175, service charge $12/month $144 actual electricity $31), we have a million dollar liability and agreed value of 80k I think thats another 300 or so, its a commitment but I wouldn't have it any other way. Also alot say adjoins state land which is great until huntin season when you get alot of new neighbors who prolly dont care about you, but if your into orv's you might want that, find an area you like and get a realtor, they will email you listings in a price range +waterfront, state land..etc and you can weed through alot that way, we used statewide of onaway, Dan was great, he put up with me for over 2 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.