Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

I-68 for Bayfest

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  No More Mini 
#1 ·
Do we need to get an I-68 for Bayfest weekend?

Also how much liquor will they tolerate bringing across since it's a big weekend I think they might crack down a little more?

Thanks,

#2 ·
The US Customs says you have to, but I have not heard about anyone inforcing it. As for liquor you are bring, just don't claim it all. Also if anyone gets low on bevies, we will have a few cars there so we can make a beer run.

#3 ·
you SHOULD have one, last year we had 6 on a boat and no one had it, its easy to cruise along the river and kinda just cross over the boarder, plus its a big weekend with the port huron thing going on so there are a lot of boats coming and going

where do you get a I-68 thingy again???

#6 ·
You can get your I68 at any customs office. We go to Algonac, they are super nice there. But if you are closer to Detroit, some of my friends get them there. They are $16.00 each, and you have to have 3 passport photo's, all identical

#7 ·
QUOTE(cotty @ Jul 8 2004, 09:39 AM)QUOTE(Melly Jo @ Jul 8 2004, 10:34 AM) we will have a few cars there so we can make a beer run.
Thats great as long as it's not Jame's Probe.

Nope, it will be my dads and/or sisters car. My dad just got this great (new to him) 1996 red Neon. I think that you would look really hot driving it too

#8 ·
QUOTE(cotty @ Jul 8 2004, 08:37 AM)QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 8 2004, 10:34 AM)
where do you get a I-68 thingy again???
I thought I heard at the border crossing in Marine City but I could be wrong.

Are you going to Bayfest and bringing the Bong? Beer bong that is.

Yes we are and yes we are LOL

#9 ·
Melly,

I didnt think Canadians needed to get an I68.

I have spoke with the INS many times on this subject (there has been alot of talk about it in the fishing forum over the last 2 years). I was told that if you are an American citizen and you officially land in Canada (defined as touching Canadian soil and reprting it to Customs) you need the I68 to return to the US without passing US Customs.

I dont get one and I cross the border alot. BUt I dont land in Canada, I just fish there.

Mini

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Mini,

We need it for the same purpose you do, so we don't have to report to INS in person. I fould this on the net, could be pretty useful info...

Under the Form I-68 program, applicants for admission into the United States by small pleasure boats are inspected and issued a single boating permit for the entire boating season. This permit enables them to enter the United States from Canada for recreational purposes without the need to report to INS for further inspection. United States citizens or lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens or landed immigrants of Canada are eligible to apply for Form I-68. For those who are not United States Citizens (USCs) or lawful permanent residents of the United States, Form I-68 authorizes admission within the immediate shore area of the United States for no more than 72 hours at a time.

Boaters not in possession of a valid Form I-68 must either report in person for inspection at a port-of-entry or utilize one of the 33 OARS videophone stations each time they apply for admission to the United States. Under the OARS program, videophones installed at public marinas along the Canadian border provide an automated inspection service enabling two-way visual and audio communication between the inspector and the applicant for admission. Any non-USC who does not comply with these procedures will be subject to adverse actions under the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Further information on the northern border small boat inspections program may be obtained from the INS Internet site located at http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/shared...nspect/oars.htm or by calling a local port-of-entry.

I-68

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.