Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whats going on with the I-68 this year. Do we still need them?

Thanks, Matt Belletini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Not getting one, so I should be a good test case due the frequency of my border crossings.

·
Registered
440 Posts
According to the law, you need them (if you cross the border via water). Many posters here have decided to defy the law and not get them. It doesn't seem likely that one would get stopped, but I'm unlucky enough to have it happen. I need my boat. I don't need legal problems. I am going to get one next week.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
This is not brain surgery: Get one. It's the law. How can you go there and feel good about being there if all you do is think about who's in that boat coming at me. Talk to the people that got there boat taken away and all the legal mess they got into.Gosh year after year we beat this to death. Just get and hey you'll enjoy yourself ever so much more... common sense. You get all that other things neccessary to be on the water. Why stop with a I-68. It's only a small step when you think about the repercussions. This is my opinion so you can concentrate on that super fishing over there and never worry about being wrong. Take my advice and JUST GET ONE. Case closed h2o

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(cameraguy @ Jun 19 2003, 06:36 PM)According to the law, you need them (if you cross the border via water). Many posters here have decided to defy the law and not get them. It doesn't seem likely that one would get stopped, but I'm unlucky enough to have it happen. I need my boat. I don't need legal problems. I am going to get one next week.
The law is you need it if you touch soil or anchor accross the border, you will need one to get back to the US.

If you have any questions contact the INS Detroit office.

Mini

·
Registered
440 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 19 2003, 08:25 PM)The law is you need it if you touch soil or anchor accross the border, you will need one to get back to the US.

If you have any questions contact the INS Detroit office.

Mini
I don't think that is correct. According to this website

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/shared...nspect/boat.htm

if you are a boater and cross the border, and intend to land back in the US, you need an I-68. There is nothing there about landing in Canada.

The problem with calling the INS Detroit office is you might get one answer from them and another from the Border Patrol guy on the water...and the guy on the water can take your boat. The courts can settle it later. Why let it come to that when it is so simple to get the form?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Because you dont need it....

This is copied from the webpage you posted:

"Persons aboard a vessel which has crossed the international boundary between the United States and Canada and who do not intend to land in the United States, other than at a staffed port-of-entry, are not required to be in possession of Form I-68 merely because they have crossed the international boundary."

SO you are saying that a Canadian vessel can come and cruise around here without reporting and we cant go over there and come back too?

Silly thinking....

Mini

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mini, for cryin' out loud, read it CAREFULLY. The key phrase is "...who do not intend to land in the United States..."

That is the key paragraph of the whole thing. The form deals with US Border Patrol, not Canadian landing. The I-68 is a form that allows crossing of the border WITHOUT HAVING TO REPORT TO A STAFFED PORT-OF-ENTRY! If you cross the border and intend to land in the U.S. (such as returning to a launch ramp), you either have to have this form or report to a staffed port-of-entry. If you don't have this form and land in the U.S. after crossing the border and don't report to a staffed port-of-entry, you are violating the law. Federal law at that.

And yes, it does allow Canadian vessels to cross the international border as long as they don't LAND in the US. That's exactly what it says. If it's silly, write your representatives and tell them. I didn't write it.

You go ahead and take your chances on getting caught. I will obey the law and get the form. It costs around $30 (for pix and form) and about a half an hour. It's just not worth the potential trouble of not having one. I'll just consider it insurance and a donation to our govt.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I dd read it carefully and just as a Canadian vessel is not "in the US" if they dont land, THEN If I dont land in Canada and declare so, I have not left the United States. This is according to the INS office in Detroit AND the US Border Patrol.

I am done with this issue and do not feel I am breaking any laws. I understand your willingness to get this form, but I do not feel I need one.

Mini

1 - 9 of 9 Posts