Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we get back from the holiday weekend in Traverse City. Did the air show, go carts, fireworks, beach - a good time was had by all. Get home Sunday afternoon and I've *got* to ge the lawn cut. Looking pretty scraggly. Grab the mower, weed whip, edger, etc. Had to mix up some new 2-stroke gas as I had run the weed whip dry the last time.

Start priming, and priming, and choking, and pulling. Nothing. This thing can be temperamental when it runs out of fuel, so I keep going, and going, and going. Finally wonder if maybe a fouled the plug, so out comes the rachet set. Yanked the plug, some carbon but no too bad. No excess of fuel in the cylinder, so I didn't flood it. Grabbed the sandpaper and cleaned up the plug, then back in it goes.

Prime, choke, pull. Prime, choke, pull. Prime, choke, pull. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Nothing.

The whole time I'm wracking my brain, thinking "spark, fuel, air... spark, fuel, air... - what the hell am I missing?" I know this thing is just a weed whip, it's not that friggin' complicated! "Spark, fuel, air..., spark... fuel... air...., spark... fuel... oh, ferchrissakes!"

Moral of the story: Wise man say, it is not enough to mix the two-stroke oil with the gas, one must then also pour the two-stroke gasoline into the tank before starting engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Ah those what the _ _ _ _ moments. I had mine yesterday. Got home with the boat and I jump out of Mad Dog's Bronco and head to mine, fire it up, put it in the neighbors driveway, walk back up the driveway to move the convertible and press the button to disarm the security system. Nothing, try again, and again. The battery in the remote is new and shows a full charge, remove it and reinstall it anyway, and try again, still nothing. Look a little closer, I've got the remote for my Bronco, not the convertible.
I blame the muskies in Anchor Bay

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Did you find that spark plug socket yet...The one your holding in your left hand???

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
That's like getting in an elevator and forgetting to push a button.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Centerpiece of the Traverse City Air Show - my ears are still ringing and I think when he came by at Mach 1+ it rattled my brains a bit.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts

Everyone has those moments. NOT everyone will admit them!

·
Registered
169 Posts
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jul 6 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Centerpiece of the Traverse City Air Show - my ears are still ringing and I think when he came by at Mach 1+ it rattled my brains a bit.

My daughter works on those at the Naval Weapons Station China Lake. She's a civilian contractor for Lockheed Martin now after her tour with the US Navy as an AO. In fact she just got back from Alaska because they just deployed a crap load of them up there and took delivery of the new mods.

As for the story goes, its called getting old....... I'm always looking for my glasses when it sits on top of my head in my favorite place for them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ahhhhh yes------the F/A-18.................... or as us ordies like to refer to as "all weather plane - fair weather pilots".

Dutch, your daughter will know what I'm talking about if she did some carrier ops.

Nothing quite like Naval Aviation!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
We were out in the bay on our boat when that F/A-18 came by us in a banked turn so low my ears are still bleeding. Those military jets are such a cool blend of sleek beauty and raw power.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Jul 6 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We were out in the bay on our boat when that F/A-18 came by us in a banked turn so low my ears are still bleeding. Those military jets are such a cool blend of sleek beauty and raw power.
No doubt! While admittedly we weren't real close to the Red Bull races, without a doubt, the highlight for me is when the fighter made a few close passes. Always impressive!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(PurpleHeart91 @ Jul 6 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jul 6 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Centerpiece of the Traverse City Air Show - my ears are still ringing and I think when he came by at Mach 1+ it rattled my brains a bit.

My daughter works on those at the Naval Weapons Station China Lake. She's a civilian contractor for Lockheed Martin now after her tour with the US Navy as an AO. In fact she just got back from Alaska because they just deployed a crap load of them up there and took delivery of the new mods.

As for the story goes, its called getting old....... I'm always looking for my glasses when it sits on top of my head in my favorite place for them.

cool. my brother worked on missle engine stuff out there until he transfered to Wright Patterson in Dayton. flew out to see him once and he gave us the nickel tour pretty cool stuff they do out there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 6 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Jul 6 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We were out in the bay on our boat when that F/A-18 came by us in a banked turn so low my ears are still bleeding. Those military jets are such a cool blend of sleek beauty and raw power.
No doubt! While admittedly we weren't real close to the Red Bull races, without a doubt, the highlight for me is when the fighter made a few close passes. Always impressive!

My wife and I were cracking up trying to explain to our 5 year old son Carson why the pilot "kept shutting off the engine and then turning it on real loud." He was talking about how the jet would sneak up and go wizzing by without a sound, then you'd get blasted by the sound a couple seconds later. This was his second air show on the boat this year and he's hooked. My dad paid for my pilot's license. He was with us and told me I better start saving for Carson's

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Jul 6 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 6 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Jul 6 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We were out in the bay on our boat when that F/A-18 came by us in a banked turn so low my ears are still bleeding. Those military jets are such a cool blend of sleek beauty and raw power.

My wife and I were cracking up trying to explain to our 5 year old son Carson why the pilot "kept shutting off the engine and then turning it on real loud." He was talking about how the jet would sneak up and go wizzing by without a sound, then you'd get blasted by the sound a couple seconds later. This was his second air show on the boat this year and he's hooked. My dad paid for my pilot's license. He was with us and told me I better start saving for Carson's

Uh oh! The ONLY thing more expensive than marine is aviation!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I know, been addicted to both and now my 5 year old is hooked on boating and is really liking the airplanes. Must have passed on the floating/flying gene!

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Jul 6 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know, been addicted to both and now my 5 year old is hooked on boating and is really liking the airplanes. Must have passed on the floating/flying gene!

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jul 6 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So we get back from the holiday weekend in Traverse City. Did the air show, go carts, fireworks, beach - a good time was had by all. Get home Sunday afternoon and I've *got* to ge the lawn cut. Looking pretty scraggly. Grab the mower, weed whip, edger, etc. Had to mix up some new 2-stroke gas as I had run the weed whip dry the last time.

Start priming, and priming, and choking, and pulling. Nothing. This thing can be temperamental when it runs out of fuel, so I keep going, and going, and going. Finally wonder if maybe a fouled the plug, so out comes the rachet set. Yanked the plug, some carbon but no too bad. No excess of fuel in the cylinder, so I didn't flood it. Grabbed the sandpaper and cleaned up the plug, then back in it goes.

Prime, choke, pull. Prime, choke, pull. Prime, choke, pull. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Nothing.

The whole time I'm wracking my brain, thinking "spark, fuel, air... spark, fuel, air... - what the hell am I missing?" I know this thing is just a weed whip, it's not that friggin' complicated! "Spark, fuel, air..., spark... fuel... air...., spark... fuel... oh, ferchrissakes!"

Moral of the story: Wise man say, it is not enough to mix the two-stroke oil with the gas, one must then also pour the two-stroke gasoline into the tank before starting engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts