Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My modem blew on my computer so I'm just now able to post this…

Last Friday I wanted to run to the dumping grounds in my 16-foot boat but because of the weather I decided to stick close to Metro. I was marking a lot of small fish about a mile out from the beach in 11 feet of water so I tied on a small jig, a small (1 ½") tube and minnow. (2lb. Line and red head white skirt) I fished for about 4 hours and caught 8 nice Smallies. They were very scattered and I only got them between 11 and 12 feet of water, nothing deeper or shallower.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
As you probably know i'm the biggest downsizer. When all else fails downsizing can be all the difference. Good to hear you did good that way. You might of won the tournament doing that. I think fish think it's a easy meal and don't have to spend alot of energy getting a downsized meal. What 2lb. line did you use? You found the zone in 11+12 foot and worked that pattern. Good job. WTG!!!

h2o<--says 2lb. I love it.

·
Formerly &quot;FRL&quot;
930 Posts
I am curious what those bass weighed how good were they?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was 2lb. Stren line, 1 1/2" red and white tubes, and all the bass were almost the exact same size... 17" to 19"...
I was pretty excited because it's the first time I caught my limit of smallmouth...
And they all went back in the lake... :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey H20,

Tommorrow I will test your theory. I have been fishing with worm harnesses and bottom bouncers the last couple of weekends. I have had some success but this past weekend I got to thinking. I'm going to try the same thing but with go - getters. They are like mini worm harnesses but with only one hook. Many times the fish will bite the tail off of the end of the worm harness and miss the hook. With a smaller lure the worm should stand out better thus requiring less overhang and with a smaller looking lure the fish might take a bigger bite resulting in more hook ups. Atleast, in theory I think thats how it might work. I will let your know how my results pan out.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Welcome to the Lake Saint Clare Network CANUSA! Looking forward to the downsize report. Good Luck,, Thanks for the vote of confidence, theory's become reality.

h2o<--try the small Berkley brown Gulp worms to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry H20,
I'm a jig lov'in kinda guy. I hate to give it up but lately it hasn't been paying dues on the Canadian side near Peche Island. As a result I have been forced to go out and bottom bounce worm harnesses. Well this morning I had a hunch to try jigging again on the north side of the walleye hole and it paid off today. Boated four nice walleye and lost a fifth. I will tell you that I was fishing a shelf with about 20 to 22 fow. Used a 3/8 oz glow jig from Northland with a paddle tail worm. This worm is something special as it looks brown when you look at it but hold it up to the light and it is purple. The walleye seem to really go for them. Anyway, small jig, 6lb fireline. I will try out my downsized worm harness (go-getter) on the weekend, weather permitting!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Prince of Crafts: Don't know why your sorry, fishing is what's working for ya. I'm a big, jig fan. WTG on the eyes. 2lb. diameter FireLine hook sets instantly and that sure helps jigin.

h2o<--says good job on the shelf

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm only sorry because I didn't get to test your downsize theory today on the worm harnesses. I used to jig for walleye with 1/2 or 5/8 jigs. Couldn't figure out how come I lost/missed so many hits. Did some reading and found out that wallys actually feed by sucking the food/water in front of them into their mouths. Thus the heavier the jig the harder to hook them. It took some getting used to but all I use now is a 1/4oz or 3/8 oz jig and I hook everything. Even them pesky gobis beleive it or not. So if this downsizing holds true for jigging then why not when trolling worm harnesses? We'll see.

By the way Canusa and Prince of Crafts is one and the same just two different computers, home/office.

stay tuned

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Everything is crystal clear now. I was a bit confused, but knowing two names now i see the light. lol

Yes you did downsize your jigs, which allows them eyes to vacumn them in easier good lesson learned. I get down to 1/8th oz. with the 4lb. 1lb. dia. FireLine. Keep up the good work and hopefully someone will learn what you did and do better.

h2o<--says thanks Prince of Crafts by day, Canusa by night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts