Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a question for all of you.... For the past 30 years I have been involved in photography doing weddings/graduation pictures ect for a part time business. For the past 20 years my best friend was a female who's friendship I have just recently lost due to her attending bible classes. A long story, not my choice... Anyhow, over the years I did all of her family's pictures including 2 of her nieces high school graduation pictures.
The other day my wife tells me that my friend of 20 years sister-in-law calls up asking my wife if I could take her other daughters graduation pictures like I did for her older sister... My wife told her she would have me return the call.When I did the pictures before I charged her mother exactly what it cost me with no profit to show. Just being nice. The girls family has money...
Now, here's my question to all of you... Seeing as how I no longer have the same friendship with the girls Aunt, do I ....

A. Take the pictures to be nice to the girl and forget about my lost friendship and just charge her what it cost me???

B. Call up the girls Mother and let her know that I no longer am interested in taking any pictures for anyone and that she'll have to pay a studio to get the pictures done???

C. Don't call her back at all????

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Being in sales myself I agree 110% with Taxman. Take the pictures and make a profit. Make it worth your time. Forget about the past and make money doing something you're good at.

my .02

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
I agree, BUT.........

There's such a thing as a "gut feeling," and if you don't feel comfortable about doing it, I don't think you should...regardless of whether it is going to put money in your pocket.

If I could add up the money I would have made for work that I have turned down because I didn't believe in it, I'd be a very wealthy woman right now ... sometimes integrity outweighs profit.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I'm still trying to understand how a friendship like that can be lost over bible studies.

Are you an evil person or something?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(Saleena362 @ Jul 8 2003, 10:55 AM)... sometimes integrity outweighs profit.
*GASP*

Don't you EVER say those words again!!!!!!

j/k
I agree there are situations (I guess) where that couldbe true.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jul 8 2003, 09:56 AM)I'm still trying to understand how a friendship like that can be lost over bible studies.

I knew this question was going to come up.... My friend use to cheat on her husband over the years with different guys. I use to tell her that was not the thing to be doing.. Then some ladies in her neighborhood got her to attend bible studies and they told her that it would be a good idea if she didn't have male friends and there went our friendship. I lost a very good friend... But I respect her and the problems that she was trying to over come... And no, I'm not an evil person... Just the opposite... And no I don't cheat on my wife... Happily married for 28 years....

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ Jul 8 2003, 11:09 AM)And no, I'm not an evil person... Just the opposite...
I know. I was joking.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Saleena362 @ Jul 8 2003, 10:55 AM)I agree, BUT.........

There's such a thing as a "gut feeling," and if you don't feel comfortable about doing it, I don't think you should...regardless of whether it is going to put money in your pocket.
ditto! The guts are always right

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i agree with taxman...if you want to take the pics, do so but at a profit.

saleena's right, too,and i've done the same: it's VERY HARD to work for/with something you don't believe in. if your gut says no, go with that. if it doesn't, take the profit!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Put the ball in her court...

Tell her that you are charging for photos now because of losses. Let her make the decission!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ Jul 8 2003, 11:09 AM)QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jul 8 2003, 09:56 AM) I'm still trying to understand how a friendship like that can be lost over bible studies.

I knew this question was going to come up:D
Don't even get me started here.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Jul 8 2003, 10:17 AM)QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ Jul 8 2003, 11:09 AM) QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jul 8 2003, 09:56 AM) I'm still trying to understand how a friendship like that can be lost over bible studies.

I knew this question was going to come up:D
Don't even get me started here.

Hazy, go for it,,,, Let me hear ya...... :>)

·
Registered
709 Posts
There do not appear to be any ethical or moral issues NOT to do the job (presumeably for a profit).

They thought of you despite any other issues involved. This would seem to speak well of you. your prior relationship is probably a non-issue especially considering her aparrently "philanthropic" tendencies. In fact, your past work for them has likely built a base of trust and respect while your friend so woefully distroyed her own.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
MY gut feeling is to go with your gut instinct, whatever it is. It will not steer you wrong for what is right for you.

Personally, though, so soon after something so dramatic, distance is often the best resolution.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY!!!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I hope this helps:

I have been a freelance musician for over 25 years..
I get calls for gigs regularly and at this point from people I have know or known about for years

Musicians can be any or all of the following:
lyers
cheaters
poor players
A$$holes
backstabbers
motherstabbers
Father rapers
you get the point

when I get a call for a gig from someone who has hosed me, talked trash, or I dont like or I dont like to play with because they suck, I take the gig and act as if whatever they do or say does no affect me, and most times it dont. I am a professional with a reputation and I am going to keep it. People like I mentioned know that they try to get your goat and when they do they feel powerful, when you act unaffected, it gets their goat up, and you have done nothing to do so. I just do my job get my tax free pay doing what I love to do and nobody regardless of what they do or how they act can affect me in any way.

Also I work in Bldg 1 where you work.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
If you didn't do anything with this chick and you have no guilt feelings than what is the issue. Apparently they know you and respect your work.

The relationship has changed though and you should have a reasonable expectation of being compensated in direct relation to the service you are providing. If you have any issues don't charge as much as the going rate but certainly make a profit. If you just don't want to do it or don't do that stuff anymore, don't go out of your way, just say I don't do that anymore. Sorry!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts