Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know my flyfishing for muskie was so well known, but I've had a couple of guys post to the effect, "say it isn't so!!" that I've picked up a couple of conventional rods. I had to do it and let me explain, as it's been a big decision for me.

I'll raise maybe a fish or two every other time out on flies, and that's just not productive; I'm not learning the lake like that. I don't mind catching fewer fish; I fly fish for halibut, where you'd catch maybe six in a season, so I don't mind that. But I need to learn this lake and start marking some fish (you don't mark/raise/locate halibut) and seeing them and patterning them. So I got myself a St. Croix, a MI Dawg rod and a couple of Calcuttas and I've been on a bait shopping spree the last two weeks. I like big stuff, so several DCG's, Dawgs, big Believers, Suicks, Top Raiders and such.

So yes, I have conventional gear, and no, I've not forsaken flyfishing. I still carry flyrods and fly cast every time out. But I've seen more fish in the last week than I've seen in the last year fly casting, so I'm already marking fish and seeing that they do exist and that I am fishing the right spots. Give me some time on the heavy rods, and I can put that back into the flies and I'll live up to my name. I just need to see some fish and know I'm in the right place doing the right thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
What's next, trolling?

Welcome to the dark side!

Actually, what puzzles me is why there aren't more small boat fishers who fish Buck Perry ("Spoonplugging") style, trolling at a good clip until they find the fish, then casting once they're on 'em. That's certainly how I'd approach fly casting for the toothy critters in the big lake.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hope it works out for you!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Junkster @ Jul 4 2009, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After you're done marking fish I'll buy your conventional equipment off you

LOL
, I'll hang onto it. Another reason I have gear now is for days like the other day when you saw me, Monday I think it was. I was planning on flycasting that day, and did for about 20 minutes but the wind just hammered me. I can flycast in the wind and I can deal with it, but it becomes more work and more frustration than fun and productive. Having the gear on board I was able to salvage a day of casting and raise a fish or two whereas flycasting I likely wouldn't have seen them anyway, and would've been P.O.'d doing it.

It's also nice to have some gear here for when Dad or someone visits and couldn't bring their rods or baits, and they're not into flycasting; now I've got gear ready to go for them.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 4 2009, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I didn't know my flyfishing for muskie was so well known, but I've had a couple of guys post to the effect, "say it isn't so!!" that I've picked up a couple of conventional rods. I had to do it and let me explain, as it's been a big decision for me.

I'll raise maybe a fish or two every other time out on flies, and that's just not productive; I'm not learning the lake like that. I don't mind catching fewer fish; I fly fish for halibut, where you'd catch maybe six in a season, so I don't mind that. But I need to learn this lake and start marking some fish (you don't mark/raise/locate halibut) and seeing them and patterning them. So I got myself a St. Croix, a MI Dawg rod and a couple of Calcuttas and I've been on a bait shopping spree the last two weeks. I like big stuff, so several DCG's, Dawgs, big Believers, Suicks, Top Raiders and such.

So yes, I have conventional gear, and no, I've not forsaken flyfishing. I still carry flyrods and fly cast every time out. But I've seen more fish in the last week than I've seen in the last year fly casting, so I'm already marking fish and seeing that they do exist and that I am fishing the right spots. Give me some time on the heavy rods, and I can put that back into the flies and I'll live up to my name. I just need to see some fish and know I'm in the right place doing the right thing.

Not the "dark side" Jeff but rather the "SMART SIDE"
Once you get a few going good out there THEN you pick up your fly rod and see if you can get em going on it. I'm glad to hear this news bro and can't wait to see a picture of you with your first nice ski out there

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(troller11 @ Jul 4 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if you wanna locate fish faster troll, cover more territory in less time

TROLLER ALERT TROLLER ALERT!!! MAYDAY MAYDAY!!! FIRE THE CANNONS!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, yeah baby steps. It took me a whole season to give in and go conventional. I ain't got nothing against trolling, but it's not my game. Plus I already gave alway all the rod holders that came on my boat! I'd have to ask for them back!

And I do see it as a smart move, you're right. Steve fished conventional along with flies. But for a guy that's not cast, owned, used conventional gear in over ten years, it was a big step. It'd be like me rifle hunting for deer after only bowhunting since I was 12. I need to use the conventional gear to get the confidence up if nothing else. This is half your fault Schram.
You and Spinner and all the other guys posting pics of fish coming out of the same spots I fished, or even on days that I saw you out there fishing 100 yards away from me, I knew something was askew. And like I say, they will hit a fly....just not as often and it helps if you've seen fish in that area to boost the fly casting confidence.....and confidence is everything.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Can't stand it that your girlfriend caught one hey? lol

Once you locate fish try putting scent on the fly's. <--idea. Use biggest fly's you have 2..

O B Wan has taught you well now use the force and you will be one with the ski kind sir.

Remember it's do not try.

You'll have fun and next get a Spinning Outfit. A big Shimano Spirex 4000.

h2o

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Nah Greg, I had my gear two weeks ago; before I took her fishing, and this decision was since last fall in the making. And I don't think size is my issue. Most of my flies are every bit as large as my muskie baits. I think it's speed, vibration and action that I can't emmulate. Of course you can reel or troll a bait 3x-6x faster than you can strip on in on a fly, and there's just no way I can mimic the the vibe of double 10's (I fly cast double 6's, which are a whole 'nother animal than double 10's) the noise of a Top Raider, or the action of a Believer. With fly fishing, you just have to find a positive fish that wants to eat whatever's in front of it no matter what it is.

And scent on flies is a BIG no-no. That's something you won't see me do. Plus I think muskie feed and hunt much more with their lateral line and their eyes, and then maybe scent third.

And I don't see myself getting spinning gear any time soon. I've got two muskie rods and reels, and that's good for me. I don't need to ammass a whole arsenal. I'm just looking to locate a few fish; I'm not setting up a charter boat. lol

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Fish smell a million times better than we do. On a follow a sweet smell could trigger the strike. Don't dis-count scent my friend.

Just mentioned spinning to get you on a few Mepps. lol

h2o

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Jeff, it's not that bad, really it isn't. We enjoy having you join us. Not only that don't look at it as giving up on fly fishing, rather look at is, as taking a break from one style of fishing while you polish your skills with another.

You are expanding your horizons, not cheating, and the fish Gods do approve

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(h2o @ Jul 5 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fish smell a million times better than we do. On a follow a sweet smell could trigger the strike. Don't dis-count scent my friend.

Just mentioned spinning to get you on a few Mepps. lol

h2o

Speak for yourself, Dear Brother, I think I smell pretty good

Sorry, just couldn't reist that one.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(h2o @ Jul 5 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fish smell a million times better than we do. On a follow a sweet smell could trigger the strike. Don't dis-count scent my friend.

Yeah I know they do, but other than suckers in the fall, you just don't see much scent-oriented tactics with muskie. And I know they hit crawler harnesses and tubes, but look through a muskie catalog and you don't see GULP! or PowerBait for sale. It's mostly vibe and sight for muskie.

And as far as scent on a fly IGFA strictly prohibits scent on a fly. I'm not into records, but when flyfishing I do abide by IGFA, so as to never blur the line. Otherwise for halibut I could've stuck a piece of herring on a fly and called it flyfishing when in reality it'd just be jigging a piece of herring. Scent is out.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 5 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah Greg, I had my gear two weeks ago; before I took her fishing, and this decision was since last fall in the making. And I don't think size is my issue. Most of my flies are every bit as large as my muskie baits. I think it's speed, vibration and action that I can't emmulate. Of course you can reel or troll a bait 3x-6x faster than you can strip on in on a fly, and there's just no way I can mimic the the vibe of double 10's (I fly cast double 6's, which are a whole 'nother animal than double 10's) the noise of a Top Raider, or the action of a Believer. With fly fishing, you just have to find a positive fish that wants to eat whatever's in front of it no matter what it is.

And scent on flies is a BIG no-no. That's something you won't see me do. Plus I think muskie feed and hunt much more with their lateral line and their eyes, and then maybe scent third.

And I don't see myself getting spinning gear any time soon. I've got two muskie rods and reels, and that's good for me. I don't need to ammass a whole arsenal. I'm just looking to locate a few fish; I'm not setting up a charter boat. lol

When we fished last year I watched you and your flies closely and you are exactly right Jeff. You were throwing those flies with blades almost like a bucktail. I noticed that you couldn't strip fast enough to keep a steady retreive and the blades wanted to faulter. I know nothing about fly fishing but I do know that a muskie will follow that for about 2.5 seconds lol. I bet you gotta hit em just right with those darn things. Did you ever try floating(top water) flies as I could see that getting some attention out there?? Youl get one in the boat soon with that casting gear now though. Let's fish soon

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 5 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jeff, it's not that bad, really it isn't. We enjoy having you join us. Not only that don't look at it as giving up on fly fishing, rather look at is, as taking a break from one style of fishing while you polish your skills with another.

You are expanding your horizons, not cheating, and the fish Gods do approve

100% agree! Everytime I think about catching a muskie on a fly it seems impossible to me. I know its not but just seems way too dificult and I applaud you Jeff for staying true as long as you did!!! Even though no ski's that makes you one of the best on LSC in my book
Big Dog..."I got a pair of 38's and a 45 to protect them"..hmm...sounds like a muskie thing to me???...your secretly a hard core muskie girl aren't you?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts