Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gong to mention to my boss that I have been offered a 20/hr wk internship. I'm not sure if he is going to agree to flex time. The internship is only 20 hrs/wk and last through December.

My other option is to keep looking for a new, full-time position strictly in HR and hope to complete an internship with them. However, I've been looking for a new job for over a year! I need experience, lots more experience!

I'm looking for a part-time job to help with the bills. If my boss agrees to flex time, the internship would then become my part-time job and ALL MY PROBLEMS WOULD BE SOLVED!

If my boss says no, then I have a choice to keep working here, looking for a part-time job in a bar/pub, and keep looking for my HR dream job.

Or, I could quit, complete the internship and graudate, as well as continue looking for a bar/pub job.

I own a house and have bills like everyone else. I'm not sure if I should take the chance and quit my job (expecting my boss to say no) of loosing everything or just give up on graduating (just for now).

any suggestions?

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Wow, what a decision to make... You need cash to survive but you still want to get your graduation over with.. I would go with your boss flexing and intern the 20 hours if you can afford it?? To quit your job and possible not have any $$$ coming into the picture except for a bar/pub job could be risky... Talk to your boss and explain how important it is to you and see if he'll work with you... If he says no, they it's your call, your future...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think you should do whatever it takes to graduate. If your boss says no to flex time, keep looking for the part time job at the bars. Maybe after you graduate your dream HR job will fall in your lap. Hope it all works out for you..

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Talk to your boss, if they know of your life plans or the fact you've been attending school then this should really come as no surprise. He should appreciate your candor and it will give him an opportunity to look for an ultimate replacement or they will be able to offer you something better.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
QUOTE(traveler @ Sep 4 2003, 02:05 PM)Talk to your boss, if they know of your life plans or the fact you've been attending school then this should really come as no surprise. He should appreciate your candor and it will give him an opportunity to look for an ultimate replacement or they will be able to offer you something better.
Very well said Traveler...I agree. Providing you are candid with your Boss He/She should be looking out for you. After all I am sure He/She was in your shoes at one time. I have learned that everyone needs a break when it comes to the job factor. I got several breaks from my past and current employers. In return I worked hard and showed my dedication. If you are well liked and a hard worker...I have seen, heard about and know of employers that agreed to some pretty crazy terms.

To graduate should be your ultimate goal. Things will still be a bit hard but you have came this far...don't stay in the groove. Expand your horizons and do whatever it takes to reach your goals...BEST OF LUCK

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Thanks for all your comments!

My boss has shown some interest in my goals, such as finishing college. I have mentioned to him in the recent past that this situation could happen. At first, he told me my job is full time and not part time. More recently he said if I am to get an internship he'd see what he could do, but he didn't seem enthusiastic about it. He claims he wants me to pursue my dreams.... now I have to wait on him to see if it's possible.

My boss, unfortunately, totally follows the "rules." Our company does not have flex time, or at least my office does not have it. He moans and groans when I ask him if I can work through my lunch to leave an hour early to go to an appointment (this doesn't happen often). There's no leaving early on Christmas Eve (we work til 5 PM); he'd rather us celebrate the holidays after work hours so that way if we take longer than an hour, it's not during company time. Now I'm off the subject.

I'm still waiting for him to come into the office...it's 4:00 and I need an answer by tomorrow morning. I will talk with him and express my goals and the importance of this opportunity.

I just celebrated my 5 year anniversary with this company, so they must like me. Unfortunately, it's not an employee oriented company, meaning it didn't come close to being one of the Best Places to Work in Southeast Michigan (this weeks Crain's has the winners).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
He sounds like he needs something removed from a certain orifice, butt (no pun intended
) that doesn't mean he'll losen up.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Most companies are exactly like the one you already work for.

Ironically, you're career choice will put you in a very compromising position frequently in the future, you know. It's H.R. that spins every cut in benefits and new restriction as something that's good for the company so it's good for you. Our latest is a time clock for salaried people that will feed our time directly to ADP - managers won't have to turn in a timesheet for their department. They still want us to come in early and leave late but we'll have to be sure to hit the time clock during the right windows because we'll confuse the system otherwise. Great.

Previously we had reduced benefits that made us more competitive (that's nice), no retroactive pay on annual increases, and moving anniversary dates so if your manager doesn't complete your review in a timely manner you lose pay initially and watch your next review date move out (because we have to have 365 days between reviews).

Yeah, H.R. people are very popular.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Julie:

Take the internship. If your boss won't work with you, then turn this into an opportunity to find something else. It's out there, and you will. Maybe the company you'll intern for will hire you in, maybe you will find another job working for a more employee-oriented company, maybe this will be the biggest blessing in disguise of a lifetime. I know it's an old addage, but nothing ventured...nothing gained.

You've come this far and worked so hard to graduate, the only thing standing in your way is this internship - TAKE IT!!! Hound the placement office @ college to help you, bug the ever living f*ck out of them, eventually something will pan out.

I know how you feel being afraid of the uncertainty. This week is my first official week of layoff, and the 360.00 a week in unemployment won't keep me afloat and I dont' have much of a reserve at all. BUT... I am a survivor and a go-getter and I know deep down in my heart that my bills will somehow get paid and my children will have everything they need. SOmehow, someway, it always seems to work out (and we wouldn't be human if we didn't worry about it)

So...grab the bull by the horns and finish up with your schooling. This internship is the only thing standing between you and a bachelor's degree (which makes you much more marketable as a prospective employee)

GOOD LUCK and it's time to stop working for that jacka$$ boss of yours anyways.....

Shannon

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(boatmonkey @ Sep 4 2003, 05:00 PM)Most companies are exactly like the one you already work for.

Ironically, you're career choice will put you in a very compromising position frequently in the future, you know. It's H.R. that spins every cut in benefits and new restriction as something that's good for the company so it's good for you. Our latest is a time clock for salaried people that will feed our time directly to ADP - managers won't have to turn in a timesheet for their department. They still want us to come in early and leave late but we'll have to be sure to hit the time clock during the right windows because we'll confuse the system otherwise. Great.

Previously we had reduced benefits that made us more competitive (that's nice), no retroactive pay on annual increases, and moving anniversary dates so if your manager doesn't complete your review in a timely manner you lose pay initially and watch your next review date move out (because we have to have 365 days between reviews).

Yeah, H.R. people are very popular.
Wow! this is really deep!

First, I would really like to work in the instructional design area...that is work on training programs/training people how to use something/desiging programs. To gain this type of position takes luck or a master's degree.

My second area of interest is employee benefits. I am very much interested in working for a company that believes in raising employee morale instead of lowering it. There are many companies out there that are interested in making their employees feel good...in return they get better work performance.

I agree that many companies do not focus on employees and only financial concerns. Companies need to remember that turn-over is costly and should foucs on ways to retain employees.

My sister works in finance. It's her job to eliminate positions. When her company tells her they must cut costs by $$$, she must find the places to cut these costs. Once this is done and approved, then the managers of the departments must decide who must go. It's HR's job to notify those employees. (This process, I'm sure, is not true with every company.)

Ultimately, I am looking to work for a company that believes in ways to boost employee morale, not lower it. When employees are happy, the company will prosper!

I recently learned that Ford Motor Company told its salaried employees that overtime pay has a new structure. Managers who supervise labor union employees will now only be paid straight time, regardless if they are required to work 7 days a week and holidays. Managers who do not supervise but are required to work over time to resolve engineering issues on production machines do not get paid. Does this suck?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Go for your education..............You can get a job anyplace! This is something you have worked hard for.........finish it. You'll be proud of yourself and very self-satisfied. (no dirty comments, people) Best of luck to you Julie!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
Yeah, what they said....

Go girl!

(do ya believe I am short on words tonight....just paid bills....ugh! )

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
My boss wanted to talk with me again before he talked with his boss. He told me he didn't think he could get me 40 hours...weekends are not included in my work week. So then he went on to tell me that he'd try to get me 30 hours so I can keep my benefits. However, to get 30 hours in 2 1.2 days is almost impossible...12 hour days are not part of my work week. Oh, and if I work less than 40 hours a week, then my job would stay at part time.

So, I told him I'm taking the internship regardless of what the outcome is. I'll leave the company if that's the case. I'm shaking soooo bad!

My ultimate goal is to graduate. Can't graduate without an internship. If my company is not willing to help me with an internship and is not willing to help me by offering flex time, then I won't be able to accomplish my goal. I need the experience from the internship to get a job in HR, or I will not get a new job. This will lead me to work here another 5 years, and another 5 years, unless I change my major. Who wants to change a major when all that is left is one class?

I'm soooooo scared right now not knowing my future. I'm a gambler, but usually at small issues, not something that could lead me to losing everything I've worked so hard for.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
finish school. an intership is school related and i really dont think that he can fire you if its school related. maybe he will cooperate!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Julie, you are not gambling if you are completing your education. Bottom line the paper - regardless of where it comes from- is the most important thing. The value of it is seen in real hard currency and you job satisfaction. Be happy it's just another challenge in the adventure of life!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Finish school, it is most important. Even if you do have to give up some things. In the end you will be able to have nicer things because you will have a better job anyway. Besides material posessions are not where it is really at. IF you do not finish school you will allways wonder "what if" and what ifs suck. Be proud of what you accomplished we are.

BTW hope to see you in the bay on Sunday or at Metro Sat night

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You shouldn't take any of my beefing about HR people as a suggestion that you shouldn't finish school. You're not getting into something really awful, like being an insurance adjuster (what snakes!).

Seriously, you have to take the internship if that's what the school requires and the timing is perfect, right? You just finished everything else and this is all you need?

Your current employer knows you won't be staying with them. They have no incentive whatever to change their practices to accomodate you, and they won't. So that's that.

You need to find another job but you'll find a half dozen new jobs in your career if you're like most of us. At least you're in a great position - you're young, energetic, have only yourself to support, are attractive with a great personality and can probably get interim waitstaff work at the very least that will carry you over. And you're working toward a goal your really want. Man, these are the best times of your life - enjoy them!

And I hope in a few months when you have your degree you get that dream job with a great company that really cares about its employees. I've personally never worked for such an operation but maybe they exist - I hope so because you'll be a terrific addition to their family.

Now tell those people you'll be taking the internship and get on with it. And don't have a chip on your shoulder about your current employer. Leave on the best terms possible (maybe you can't give two weeks notice because you need to start the internship, but if you can't, be apologetic). When you're in HR you'll be enforcing the rules and you'll see that it makes absolutely no business sense to accomodate a person who is leaving - better to replace them and get back to "normal" as soon as possible. So there's no point in being angry or upset that they don't want to do what you want them to do, and it just might help you someday to have left on good terms.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The outcome is this: I just learned today (Tuesday) that I can keep working here. My boss is going to hire a temp for the days I'm gone. He will not allow me to work weekends or after 5 to acquire 30 hours a week which I need to keep my benefits. I'll only be working 20 hours and will be offered COBRA. I should be able to get my hours back as well as benefits come January 1, but this has not been stated to me.

I start a third job this Thursday waitressing at Continental Bowl...Saturday's I'll be bartending. Hopefully there is some money to be made.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't know your skillset, but if your boss is hiring from a temporary placement service, wouldn't you be a candidate to be hired by a similar temp service company? They might be more able to work around your internship schedule, provide a better benefits package than COBRA and perhaps negate the need for the extra job by providing the additional hours you would need to reach 30 or whatever your target might be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts