Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already been stressing about what to possibly do as the subject of my senior project at Wayne State this fall. I emailed the head professor of the EET department and his reply has now made it worse:

"Hi Jeff:

Yes, most of the student brought their own ideas about the project to discuss with the advisor. If you want to complete your ET4999 by the end of Fall semester, you need to start thinking about your project ASAP. Before you make an appointment with a professor to discuss your project, you need to at least have some ideas about what you would like to do. Don't worry if those are good idea or bad idea.
"

Any Electrical Engineers or EET people here have any suggestions. From what I've heard from other students, its really more just a big research paper.

·
Registered
769 Posts
any more info you can give? Im usually good with coming up with topics to research. Im just not sure on what the parameters are you have to stay within. College and I decided we didnt get along. Classes kept getting in the way of fun and paycheks

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Aquaholic @ Jul 27 2004, 12:44 PM)any more info you can give? Im usually good with coming up with topics to research. Im just not sure on what the parameters are you have to stay within.
I really don't know. Any type of technology I guess, as long as its electrical related.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I do not know if you want to do actual hardware or just a paper but if you are thinking about hardware here is an idea that I have thought about but have yet to sit down and design it.

Many folks have vacation properties with cabins, trailers etc. and many of these folks have refrigerators and freezers that they keep food in for the season. The problem is that if there is an electrical outage for an extended period while the cabin is unoccupied there is potential for food spoilage. By the time someone arrives there may have been sufficient time for items to refreeze but they may be bad and cause illness. I know that there are devices on the market that will telephone you if there is an anomaly such as a power outage or a temperature range is exceeded high or low but with the popularity of cell phones most folks do not have telephones at their cabins. So, here is my idea; a device that would be located at a cabin and that would track power outages and provide the following information; 1. The number of outages since the last time checked. 2. The duration of each outage. 3. The date and time of each outage. Of course the unit would need to be able to be reset and have the ability to run for an extended period on battery power. With this information a person can make an educated assessment whether or not the food in their freezers and refrigerators is still good or may need to be discarded.

I have 2 EE degrees and this should be well within the disciplines of either EE or EET.

Just a brain fart that I though I would pass along.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Scubajay @ Jul 27 2004, 01:17 PM)Just a brain fart that I though I would pass along.
Thanks, but I was leaning more towards a research paper. Under the Attributes of the course, it says "Writing Intensive Competency".

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got more info from the prof:

Jeff:

The project could be either research or building something, or both. A lot
people use those industrial problems they are currently dealing with at works as subject for their senior project.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Ive got a great one for you. Figure out why my dang boat wont start, i know the problem is hiding in the stinkin wires

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
do a study of the conductivity of wet vs. dry frogs.

hey ya gotta brainstorm right?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
ok something real...design me a cheap remote engine start kill device that works from my cell phone.

·
Registered
769 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jul 27 2004, 05:39 PM)ok something real...design me a cheap remote engine start kill device that works from my cell phone.
MAKE ME ONE TOOO!!!!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should I be able to do that?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I go throgh this all the time with GMI/Kettering coop students. The only difference is that I am on the hook to fund their work. I usually deal with mechanical, but have done electrical as well. Look towards something you like, and if creative you can make it work. We have done lab testing of some suspension components, track items, the actual test machines, ultra sonic inspections, you name it.

My experience is just get creative with an idea, but don't make it to big that it can't be completed in time. A smaller project with more detail would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jul 27 2004, 09:33 PM)Hope you come up with a great idea!

Me too.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still got NOTHING.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What field are you hoping to get into once you graduate? If you pick something that relates to your field this could be something you bring up in interviews. Most managers could really care less about school once you have a degree. Ya they ask a few, but most of the questions in my experience has been about things I've done outside of the typical classes.

If you're looking into the automotive field, there is a push to develope an electronic control system to drive the intake and exhaust valves w/o cams or other hardware. There is a ton of information on this and its pretty new technology. We completed one of these for one of the big three and its actually pretty cool - totally variable. Just a thought.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, but that sounds a bit too complex compared to a few of the things I've heard done for the course.

I'm not sure what field. Right now I'm in electrical Medical Devices. I just plan on sending resumes out everywhere after I graduate.

This project is more of a big research paper rather than actually building something.

I'm just trying to think of something to research and write on.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Jeff.

How about something like the effects of electro-magnetic fields on common medical electronic devices (pacemakers, insulin pumps, prosthetic limbs ...)

With all of the screening (airports, court houses, sporting venues, night clubs) that occurs today, I am sure it would be enlightening to see what levels are actually safe. I am sure that there are some off the chart metal detectors, and or electromagnetic interference from other devices that would be very detrimental to an electronic medical appliance wearing person.

Just a thought.

Scott.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ya, I wasn't expecting you to develop your own system, just research the ones that have been done.

Not sure what the medical field has, but for the automotive field we have SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). Whenever I needed a topic to cover for my mechanical engineering degree I would go to their site and see what was a hot topic, etc. Then do research on it. Don't get too stressed yet, if you're like me just coming up with the initial idea is the biggest pain. Once you've got an idea everything should fall into place.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts