Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a great weekend with good friends (in spite of the fiasco/bar fight/head splitting open Saturday
) and were pulling the boat out of the water around 6:30 pm Sunday at the Harley Ensign Launch on the Clinton River. The place was packed. We pulled along-side a dock and tied off. Bill got out and went to get the trailer and truck while I tidied up and waited.

At the dock to my left was a 22-24 ft. newer red and white Crownline (named Tadpole). A younger, big man was driving the boat while an older man backed the trailer down. The younger man drives the boat over the trailer, looks over at me and grins if to say, "Pretty cool, huh?" then gooses the engine and drives it up on the trailer. He again looks over at me and I say, "There's a big sign that says NO POWERLOADING". His grin went away and he muttered "that's ok".

He then watched as I positioned our 33 1/2 foot boat over the trailer using a bow line and a stern line. Bill clipped the cable and winched the boat the rest of the way (and neither of us got our feet wet).

If he's a member of LSCN or a lurker, I'll be happy to buy him a beer or beverage of his choice.

~Christine

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I'm still not clear on exactly what powerloading is or why its bad.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Sep 8 2003, 12:47 PM)I'm still not clear on exactly what powerloading is or why its bad.

I'm still not sure you actually read any posts! OMG, Puff!!!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Sep 8 2003, 12:49 PM)QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Sep 8 2003, 12:47 PM) I'm still not clear on exactly what powerloading is or why its bad.

I don't really venture out of this forum. I know it was discussed in one of the others.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Sep 8 2003, 12:50 PM)QUOTE(threecrabs @ Sep 8 2003, 12:49 PM) QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Sep 8 2003, 12:47 PM) I'm still not clear on exactly what powerloading is or why its bad.

I don't really venture out of this forum. I know it was discussed in one of the others.

Start reading and look at the nice pictures....They show what it does.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Just as I tell newbies, Puffdaddy, do a search and hold on. There was just a thread that had the links already posted in it by Rerun on his lunch hour. This IS a sore subject to most, but an important one nonetheless.

Oh yea, did anyone notice that last nights idiot "Tadpole" wasnt even a "(b)a$$ boater"...:
)

Mini

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Sep 8 2003, 12:54 PM)Start reading and look at the nice pictures....They show what it does.
Why can't you just tell me.

From what I gather, its driving the boat up onto the trailer so you don't have to crank it as far, which can cause damage to both the prop and/or the ramp.

Is that it?

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Sep 8 2003, 12:57 PM)Very good Puff.....now go get a treat and take a break.

LOL

Mini
Lunch time is over. Time to get back to "work".

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Powerloading is just that--using power (engines) to load a boat on a trailer. There's a big sign that says no powerloading and not to take your engines over idle speed when loading your trailer.

Powerloading is bad because it (among other things):

-erodes the ramp (where the props spin and push gravel away leaving a hole).

-pushes the gravel into a pile where other boats' props will hit the gravel pile causing damage to props and/or drive units.

-messes up the ecosystem on the bottom of the river by stirring up any water-life that may be deposited by flora and fauna.

Plus, there's really no good reason to do it. Would you take a new boat and drag it over some two-by-fours covered in wet indoor/outdoor carpeting? Powerloaders are also risking goosing the throttle too far, putting that bow-stop thru the hull or the whole boat in the pick-up truck bed (heard two separate stories about both scenarios).

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Sep 8 2003, 12:56 PM)Oh yea, did anyone notice that last nights idiot "Tadpole" wasnt even a "(b)a$$ boater"...:
)

Mini
There ya go people! Gotta love our fishing guys!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 8 2003, 12:59 PM)-messes up the ecosystem on the bottom of the river by stirring up any water-life that may be deposited by flora and fauna.
Oh, c'mon! Is this one for real??

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTEOh yea, did anyone notice that last nights idiot "Tadpole" wasnt even a "(b)a$$ boater"...: )

Mini

I didn't call this guy an idiot. I was trying to be educational, not confrontational. I specifically pointed out the type of boat because I didn't want anyone to assume and generalize.

Tadpole is ignorant, not an idiot. He just needs to know there's more than one way to load a boat. Like I said, I'll be happy to discuss it with him over the beverage of his choice.

~christine

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 8 2003, 01:05 PM)QUOTEOh yea, did anyone notice that last nights idiot "Tadpole" wasnt even a "(b)a$$ boater"...: )

Mini

I didn't call this guy an idiot. I was trying to be educational, not confrontational. I specifically pointed out the type of boat because I didn't want anyone to assume and generalize.

Tadpole is ignorant, not an idiot. He just needs to know there's more than one way to load a boat. Like I said, I'll be happy to discuss it with him over the beverage of his choice.

~christine
He is voluntarily ignorant and no you didnt call him an idiot I did. For the grief and hassle I and fellow bass boaters get about this issue, and I know there are a TON of guys like him that are the real culprits.

Mini

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTEFor the grief and hassle I and fellow bass boaters get about this issue, and I know there are a TON of guys like him that are the real culprits.

Tadpole was out on Sunday night, not Saturday afternoon the day of a bass tournament

QUOTEThank you Christine for posting this.

I am all about the education.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 8 2003, 11:26 AM)At the dock to my left was a 22-24 ft. newer red and white Crownline (named Tadpole).
I'm sure glad it wasn't a Formula!!!
After all we do have our reputation to keep clean and/or full of Beer not Zima!!!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
i never knew why you wernt supposed to do it either untill i found lscn web site when we first bought our new boat at fenton marina , the guy took me for a trial ride when we were done he drove right up on the trailer with it, ive never done it for fear of wrecking boat or trailer. but that was first time ive ever seen anyone do it. i actually thought wow this mechanic is good to be able to do that with a 24 ft boat . iam sure a lot of other people didnt know either it was bad to do.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(The Coozie @ Sep 8 2003, 01:35 PM)After all we do have our reputation to keep clean and/or full of Beer not Zima!!!
That's it, Coozie..........You're @$$ is mine! See ya at the bike racks at Metro this weekend
There is nothing wrong with a ice cold Zima on a hot summer day!

Bobrob...this site is all about the education, as well as the love

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Out of respect for Hammer who had to deal with this subject last season until he was blue in the face, I will only say that it is wrong to do if posted and for those that are doing it to please respect the launch sites and cut it out..
Just my .02 cents...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts