Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7:00 am working at my desk my florescent light bulb under my cabinet blows up!!!

White powder sh..t all over my desk and reached out to five cubes around me. It was so loud I screamed bloody loud with a few words to boot

I had just finished reading my horoscope that read.....
ready for this..... watch out for lighting bots today

Just needed to vent. Only a little cut on my arm. Thank god I closed my eyes fast enough.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Glad you are OK Firecracker...but with a name like Firecracker...you should be use to loud explosions

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
glad you're ok, but i soooooo hear you on jumping like that! lol!! hee hee hee!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
QUOTE(jetski @ Aug 22 2003, 12:44 PM)Glad you are OK. I have never heard about florescent light bulbs blowing up before. Is this normal?
Only if your sword fighting with your light saber!

·
Registered
83 Posts
when i worked @ farmer jack we broke one in the stock area
and everybody ran out of the room, so i did the same.

i was told that you can die from that S#iT

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
The white powder in the light is very toxic it also containes mercury. Make sure that when it is cleaned up they do not use a vacume. In fact florescent lamps are considered universal waste. Not quite haz waste but for industry, you cant just throw them away anymore.

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
It wont kill you unless you are exposed to a substansial quantitiy. But Mercury is culmunitive in the body over time constant exposer can do bad things especially to women who plan on having kids. I would say to leave your cube until it is properly cleaned up.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thanks for the info. I used a pair of rubber gloves and vacuum

I just hope I did do anything to myself!
Right now could not be a worse time for me to have any health complications!

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
So the light didn't blow up on it's own, it fell out of it's fixture and then shattered, right? That makes more sense! Otherwise I'm construting a ceiling for my cube because fluorescent bulbs are all around me!

I don't think you have any reasons to worry, health wise. If you were going to have any problems from the mercury, you already would have seen them.

OSHA states: "harmful effects due to short-term exposure to elemental mercury are rarely seen."

Relax! (And leave a message for the maintenace crew that they should throw that vaccum out now!)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What tell them to through the vacuum out

They will take it out of my check.....

Hey Deuce, maybe that's why you like to shine your butt so much

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
QUOTE(Taxman @ Aug 22 2003, 11:52 AM)QUOTE(jetski @ Aug 22 2003, 12:44 PM) Glad you are OK. I have never heard about florescent light bulbs blowing up before. Is this normal?
Only if your sword fighting with your light saber!

In other words, this happens to Snomaker all the time...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts