Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Got it also Chris. Here's the thing that really blew my mind!!!!

"The DNR will collect biological data for generating deer population estimates at the administrative Wildlife Management Unit, as opposed to the Deer Management Unit level. The DNR will only collect heads for TB and CWD monitoring from deer that are identified as "suspect" and for systematic sampling from the known areas of concern, which include the five counties of northeast Lower Michigan, plus Iosco, Shiawassee, and Kent Counties. These changes significantly reduce the number of deer the DNR will need to check, which will be equal to the amount of effort the DNR can afford to expend on this activity. "

So does that mean they can remove the baiting ban from the rest of the lower??? I mean if there is such a low statistical possibility of spread that they are only going to research a 3 county sample for CWD then why the ban for the rest of the state??? Seems like they opened the door for some serious questioning of the bait ban

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE(islander @ Sep 17 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got it also Chris. Here's the thing that really blew my mind!!!!

"The DNR will collect biological data for generating deer population estimates at the administrative Wildlife Management Unit, as opposed to the Deer Management Unit level. The DNR will only collect heads for TB and CWD monitoring from deer that are identified as "suspect" and for systematic sampling from the known areas of concern, which include the five counties of northeast Lower Michigan, plus Iosco, Shiawassee, and Kent Counties. These changes significantly reduce the number of deer the DNR will need to check, which will be equal to the amount of effort the DNR can afford to expend on this activity. "

So does that mean they can remove the baiting ban from the rest of the lower??? I mean if there is such a low statistical possibility of spread that they are only going to research a 3 county sample for CWD then why the ban for the rest of the state??? Seems like they opened the door for some serious questioning of the bait ban

Who needs bait! I have never had a problem shooting deer without bait. However I am bummed that the deer check wont be open down there. I hope that we never see baiting again. While they are at it raise deer licenses too! It is time for some changes in this state.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(HonkerHanger1 @ Sep 17 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Who needs bait! I have never had a problem shooting deer without bait. However I am bummed that the deer check wont be open down there. I hope that we never see baiting again. While they are at it raise deer licenses too! It is time for some changes in this state.

Nobody needs bait. It does however enhance the experience for some hunters. Most notably hunters who do not have the time to scout, pattern, and review an area. The use of bait in the right area can also provide for better shot oppurtunities.

I myself have not and will not be affected by the baiting ban. However there was sometime with my daughter last year during the general rifle season where I had wished I had established a bait area. Just for the experience of multiple extended opputiunites to observe deer. I believe the small time frame we actually saw deer last year has a lot to do with her loss of interest this year.

Lastly I think the ban was snuck through under the guise of CWD. I do not blame the DNR or NRC. They have to do drastic measures to curtail the amount of critisism they would get by underreacting. But after the intial ban and subsequent 0 positive results last year they had an oppurtunity to temper their plan and failed to do so.

If they want to ban baiting then ban it and be done with it. But don't hide under the CWD umbrella to CYA from the backlash

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(HonkerHanger1 @ Sep 17 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Sep 17 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't get out a ton, I like to increase my chances, if I have to bait(when legal) whatever, I have never shot a deer, I want to

Call me when you want to come up and shoot one, two or even three!

Yes please........LOL

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(HonkerHanger1 @ Sep 17 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Sep 17 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't get out a ton, I like to increase my chances, if I have to bait(when legal) whatever, I have never shot a deer, I want to

Call me when you want to come up and shoot one, two or even three!

yes please. and you havent sent me any funny phone sh*t lately

·
Registered
215 Posts
thats just sounds stupid to me i hope theres no tb in the rest of the state how will they tell if there not ckeckin deer heads i know u can tell if a deer has tb by the spots on the rib cage or lungs but isn't that in the later stages of tb but i check all the deer cuz i hunk it the dmu487 huntin zone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.