Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone…
I'm fairly new here and have been trying to gather information on what I need to get started walleye and Musky fishing on Lake St. Clair.

I finally got my boat (I'm 40 yrs old and it's my first one) it's a 16.5' sand/white Alumacraft and I'm ready to get out there… I've been fishing most of my life so I do know how to fish I just don't have much equipment.

My question is:
If you had an empty tackle box what would you fill it with if you where heading out for Walleye and/or Musky for the first time?

I have a Lowrance 480 fish-finder/mapping GPS (I need a Hotmap for it). I have a radio and trolling motor. Other then rod holders I'm not sure where to start…

And, is there a place on the net where I can find out where all the landmarks are you talk about?

Thanks for your help…
Shawn

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Nept64: Welcome to the Saint Clair Network. Muskie BoB Sr. i'm sure will fill you in on Muskie stuff.

Now i'm a light tackle, lite line guy and only use for the most part 4lb. test 1lb. dia. and 6lb. test 2lb. dia. smoke FireLine. I tie 1/8th oz. ball head plain jigs tied direct always, marry it with Berkley Power Grubs in white, charturse, pearl and white, pumpkin, 3 inch colors. Also Berkley Gulp grubs are awesome to. In 3in. size. Send it out there and make it come alive. Reel as slow as poss. to keep it off the bottom. I also use alot #2 and #3 Mepps aglia, in rainbow, silver, gold, and platium colors. Tied direct and #2's on 4lb. and #3's on 6lb. Give this system a try and you'll catch many species promise. I feel like they say if fishing is tough downsize, so i just downsize all the time, and have a blast. I out fish most, not a brag just a fact. Let us know how you do by posting your reports here and good luck on the lake. My advice it to pick up a Lake St.Clair hot spots map and hit those place's. If you see a vortex of boats that means fish are there and join the pack. The rule is fish shallow Spring deep Summer.

h2o<--- just try the lite stuff and you'll get more suggestions but try mine. ENJOY !!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
On page 3 of this forum i posted what's been working you might find this interesting.

h2o Posted: Jun 2 2004, 11:37 PM

LSCN Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 963

For me it's been the #2+#3 Mepps Aglia in Rainbow and Green Platium colors. It's been catching multi-species on 4lb. and 6lb. fireline. (sorry bob) tied direct.

h2o<--what's been working best for you?

This post has been edited by h2o on Jun 2 2004, 11:40 PM

--------------------
Be happy to be part of all you see.
Report this post

grasslakebasspro Posted: Jun 3 2004, 03:08 AM

Member No.: 1289

My go to bait is a 5" green pumpkin senko fished wacky style on a Gammy 4/0 ewg hook. I lose a few senkos and hooks due to the exposed hook but it has increased my catch ratio versus fishing it texas rigged.

Report this post

muskiebobsr Posted: Jun 3 2004, 03:30 AM

LSCN 1000 Club

Member No.: 211

Red Eye on 10 pound XL. Best Line Best Bait. Sorry Greg
Report this post

herefishy Posted: Jun 3 2004, 01:38 PM

Member No.: 2453

I use twister tail grubs on a jig head the smaller the better 4lb to six pound test. I catch everything on those even pike when i land them. The biggest and second biggest smallmouth i ever caught (24" 23")i got on a 1" tail drifting on lsc in july of 03 theyare deadly for me on smaller lakes like lake orion or long lake. I rarely use live bait unless im fishing lsc. Arm is still in a cast but i might make it out this week end on lsc. .Im being a guide for some friends. If you see a one armed man in a blue smokercraft it just me.
Report this post

djkimmel Posted: Jun 3 2004, 05:10 PM

LSCN 1000 Club

Member No.: 317

I've been having a lot fun lately with a baby bass Splash-it!

--------------------

[email protected]
djkimmel's bass fishing website / boards

Report this post

sarc Posted: Jun 3 2004, 06:04 PM

Member No.: 715

A 4" senko - watermelon seed - texas rigged on a 2/0 EWG hook is deadly in weed beds. " Largeheads " won't leave it alone. Actually, I've been using a " Yum Dinger" - they are cheaper than senko's and just as effective.
Report this post

team houston Posted: Jun 3 2004, 07:22 PM

Member No.: 2429

Any kind of senko type bait just flat out catches fish for me. All colors but Dan I do love my splash-its. Even made up a special mayfly color feather trailer for LSC this year.
Report this post

djkimmel Posted: Jun 4 2004, 02:06 AM

LSCN 1000 Club

Member No.: 317

Sounds intriguing, Phil B. - All-American!

I haven't tried another color feather yet. I usually just tie my own for other baits in multi-colored tinsel. I may have to try a mayfly color IF I can become artistic enough to figure out how to get the color right.

I only have 1 Splash-it - they are so darn expensive! I'm afraid to use it where there are too many pike (or musky)!

--------------------

[email protected]
djkimmel's bass fishing website / boards

Report this post

MUSKIE JUNKIE Posted: Jun 4 2004, 09:08 PM

Member No.: 2228

my #1 lure for walleyes, for some reason (this year) I have had the best luck with fat raps "fr-5", we have caught multiple species
with them, and its the old models with the flourecent orange paint that work the best. they don't make that color anymore so after the muskies (or pike) took all my best fat raps, I have been painting new ones to match the old style. no other lure in my box has kept up with that colored fat rap this year, and I have lots of lures!

Report this post

mark z Posted: Jun 5 2004, 01:02 AM

Member No.: 1773

i fished with a staysee opening weekend and won a tournamemt. First time I've used it..... I'll use it again

7 ft ALL STAR MAG Spin
10 lb. BASS PRO carbon
Chart. Shad Lucky Craft Staysee

This post has been edited by mark z on Jun 5 2004, 01:28 AM
Report this post

Curado Kev Posted: Jun 6 2004, 10:40 AM

Member No.: 43

Here on the west side, with the largemouths in post-spawn, it better be green and on light line.

My goto bait is a modified watermelon senko in 4" and also Zoom centipedes/double ringers. Right now, with LM bass cruising post-spawn they want a slow drop. Lot of guys are fishing tubes on bottom and spider grubs, but they are not getting the roamers. Those baits are dropping to fast and fishing bottom isn't getting LM roamers. It's painful to fish this slow but it works.

Hey MarkZ - Good job on your win opening weekend, that was a tough tourney. I helped pay for your 1st place pot

Ckev
Report this post

Mike Tuomey Posted: Jun 8 2004, 03:10 AM

LSCN Member

Member No.: 601

So far, it's been Little Cleos in 2/5 and 2/3 oz, chrome and blue, Rattle Traps in 1/2 and 3/4 oz, gold and silver black backs, Red Eye spoon in 1 oz, brass, and Mepps gold #5 bucktails, red squirrel dressing. Targeting pike, I've caught and released more out-of-season bass than in recent memory, though, all fishing done in Anchor Bay.
Report this post

muskiebobsr Posted: Jun 8 2004, 03:22 AM

LSCN 1000 Club

Member No.: 211

Hey Mike you sure know the best baits for those toothy critters. How come I haven't seen you out there??? Bob
Report this post

Mike Tuomey Posted: Jun 9 2004, 02:53 AM

LSCN Member

Member No.: 601

Hi, bob. Well, I do listen to my elders, just like my mom taught me. I've been a cleo fan for a real long time and a trap fan since I started fishing LSC. But yup, I'm slowly learning how to use those red-eyes and bucktails.

Sorry I've missed you. Haven't been out all that much and most times have been short days anyway. I've spent most of the time north of Harley, up around "A" marker, and a bit of the time out from Selfridge up to the Salt. Same old boat.
Report this post

Capt'n Paul Posted: Jun 9 2004, 03:11 AM

Member No.: 2452

Mike, I used to fish only inland lakes and had my best luck with one of the original beetle spins. It was great for large and smallmouth bass and I can't count how many pike I caught on Houghton Lake. Now that I fish LSC, I too am learning.
Report this post

Pikeslime Posted: Jun 9 2004, 08:49 PM

Member No.: 1849

I've been casting in 10-14 ft off 9-10 mile roads in the evenings with jointed shad raps. They are amazing. I use a 8'5" St. Croix with 8 Lb test, so i can cast them a country mile. Some of you may want to give them a try if you haven't already. They are great trolled for eyes also

·
Registered
234 Posts
Try the site www.muskie-lures.com/rocketman/index1.htm for a general introduction to LSC musky fishing, mostly trolling info but some casting info, too. If you're inclined to casting and lighter line fishing, as H2O suggests, you might consider hiring Bob Brunner a/k/a Muskiebobsr for a day on Anchor Bay. You will be glad you did.

Whatever you decide to do, it is best to keep things simple. Re casting: Buy one or at most two lures that come recommended - my own view is that you should go with one bucktail (the brunner runner is excellent) and one crankbait (a large rattle trap or a shallow super shad rap is good) and learn how to fish each lure very well before you start filling the tackle box. It is more important to handle two or three baits very well than it is to dabble in a dozen or more.

Best of luck and tight lines ...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nept;

I can help you. I would be willing to meet you and shop with you if you like. This way you get what works and weed thru the un-necessary items.
Maybe take a trip out (we can go in my boat) and show you some techniques and how to use the tackle. Email me. I am 41 years old and am in need of friends.
LOL! Just kidding but I am serious about helping you.
[email protected]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mad Wags way to step up. You are a shining example of what this forums about! I would love to have been able to show a newbie the ropes if I had the room in the boat except for I suffer from the opposite effect. I bought my boat in 98' and haven't had a empty slot in it since. I guess I hang out with too many guys who don't have boats but love to fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts