Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Fiberglass? Aluminum? Stainless steel? How thick is the material?

Does it have to be perfectly round or does some sort of trim cover it?

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(pquest29 @ Jul 1 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fiberglass? Aluminum? Stainless steel? How thick is the material?

Does it have to be perfectly round or does some sort of trim cover it?
I'm replacing an old courtesy light with a new one on the boat. The fiberglass is about 1" thick. The hole has to be perfectly round to match the fixture trim.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
hmmm how to center it tho... riiight.... ummm could cut a wood plug with the 1.5 hole saw and stick that on the drill bit when cutting the 1.75 hole, not a perfect fit but it might get the new hole started enough.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
take two pieces of wood, 1/4 inch thick or so, put one on the back of the hole and one on the front of the hole, completly covering the hole, screw these two pieces together through the hold but not in the center, use 2 screws and snug it tight

this will give you something for the center drill bit in the larger hole saw to bite into......

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
yeah actually do that. cut a wood plug with the 1.5 inch and wrap it with some duck tape to make up the rest of the diameter dimension and stick it on the drill bit when doing the bigger hole. it should act as a guide.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 1 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>take two pieces of wood, 1/4 inch thick or so, put one on the back of the hole and one on the front of the hole, completly covering the hole, screw these two pieces together through the hold but not in the center, use 2 screws and snug it tight

this will give you something for the center drill bit in the larger hole saw to bite into......

Exactly!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
What you need is a "cone" style drill, this way you just open up the existing hole to exactly 1.75'

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ask Hammer is you can barrow his saw ..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think rotozip or even a router would do it. If you are bent on the hole saw, I can turn you up a quick aluminum guide bushing for it. Just need to know your pilot drill diameter.....

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(garry454 @ Jul 1 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think rotozip or even a router would do it. If you are bent on the hole saw, I can turn you up a quick aluminum guide bushing for it. Just need to know your pilot drill diameter.....
Ooooohhhhh, if you saw my last thread on this subject it took 3 days to learn what a HOLE SAW was!
For those who know me, power tools are not my friend!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts