Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out Sunday on the way back from the Cove, and lost my starboard motor. Never replaced a motor in a boat before, but plenty of cars. I'am looking for advise, does the boat have to be dried docked to change it? Any tips on how to do this would help. Oh ya, one boat less for the raft, hope its not the tie breaker folks. Sorry

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
YOUR OUTDRIVE HAS TO BE OFF TO RE-ALIGN THE NEW OR REBUILT MOTOR. THE ALIGNMENT TOOL GOES IN THROUGH THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR BOAT, WERE YOUR OUTDRIVE SHAFT GOES INTO THE MOTOR. YOUR GOING TO WANT A NEW SEAL TO OUTDRIVE ALSO. GOOD LUCK, ITS MORE FUN RIDING THAN REPAIRING, I ONLY SAY THIS BECAUSE IVE SPENT 100 HOURS WORKING ON MINE.

·
Registered
562 Posts
its easier than a car....and it has to be out of the water like the other guy said cause your outdrive has to be off the hull. You can pull it out using a chainfall on the branch of a big oak tree and just pull the boat on the trailer out from under it ....or you can find a friend with a backhoe and put a chain on the top part of his bucket near the swivel joint. If you can't find one of those you can pay a wrecker driver to pull it out with his boom.....just have it all ready to go and pay him the hourly rate. It only takes 10-15 minutes once you are sure you have everything disconnected. Just make sure you have removed the two bolts that connect the back of the bell housing to the outdrive, and have the nuts off the top of the engine mount studs that go into the stringers. Its also advisable to have the carb off, the distributor out, and a rag in the holes of the intake manifold so nothing falls into it. Sometimes you have to remove one of the exhause manifolds if you have twin engines. And...since you are unfamilar with it....watch the arrangement of the springs and washers under the two bolts at he rear of the bell housing so you know what order they go in when you reassemble the whole thing. You probably won't be able to see them until you start lifting the engine out.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts