Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good meds to take for a cold.
I was taking this real good nasal spray, but it says do not take more than 3 days, and its been 5. I guess it can make your nose worse if taken longer than that. Someone suggested Tylnol night time cold..I wasn't impressed.
I basically can't breath and I am now blowing out blood instead of buggies because of blowing it so much and it is so dry from that nasal decongestiont

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Nyquil usually works well for me. They have the daytime formula that doesn't make you sleepy.

Hope you feel better soon, Amy.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
My Mother-in-law use to say when you had a cold....
Take a glass of warm Milk,
a tablespoon of honey,
and a shot of whiskey,
mix them together and drink it then
crawl under the covers and sweat it out....

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(puppetshow @ Dec 10 2003, 09:08 AM)my favorite is Dayquil-

always works for me no matter how bad my cold is-
I took Dayquil this morning but It doesnt seem to working as well as I would like. I guess I was used to that nasal spray that worked great nothing is comparing to that.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Nyquil for nite time, and tylenol synus or sudafed for the daytime. You may want to talk to a pharmacist with your rigorous workout lifestyle. Most decongestants have pseudoephinidrine which affects heart rate and body temperature.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ Dec 10 2003, 09:09 AM)My Mother-in-law use to say when you had a cold....
Take a glass of warm Milk,
a tablespoon of honey,
and a shot of whiskey,
mix them together and drink it then
crawl under the covers and sweat it out....
But the question is does it work, or am I just going to get a nice buzz?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This question has nothing to do with my cold or does it?

I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrific calf cramp!!! My calf still feels like it might cramp up again . What could this be from. It lasted about 10 seconds, it feels like I did a strenuous leg workout now!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I am almost over it after having it almost 2 weeks. I used Robutussen PF...I think it is called. It has an "expectorent" in it (sp). The stuff cleared up my breathing...but it does dry you up really bad causing the blood stuff. It seems to be breaking up for me...I sneezed like 10 times in a row. I am breathing on my own with no meds. I hope you feel better

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
QUOTE(fit chick @ Dec 10 2003, 09:15 AM)This question has nothing to do with my cold or does it?

I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrific calf cramp!!! My calf still feels like it might cramp up again . What could this be from. It lasted about 10 seconds, it feels like I did a strenuous leg workout now!
that only happened to me when i was pregnant

·
Registered
299 Posts
Some of the zinc drops have had good results and the nose swabs called Zicam have worked well for us also. Combined with tylonal sinus/tea/homeopathic stuff then three days later I feel just fine
But really the Zicam does seem to work helps dry up your nose without the cracking/bloody nose sindrome.

hope you feel better
Tony

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sounds terrible......
.. But if you can`t breath...... Try cleaning your bathtub using

straight bleach.....
....Trust me ....Sounds harsh but when no can`t breath

it helps.....Then afterwards .......A cup of tea with honey and wiskey.....Sinus pils

and beddy bye...nite ..nite........

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sudafed Nasal Decongestant tablets/caplets (to breathe)by day
Robitussin Cough (for cough) by day
Nyquil at night
Lots of water and OJ
REST
Hope you feel better

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank You everyone for your suggestions!
I'm just a boogery mess, i guess its off to CVS for some more meds

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Go to the doctors!!!!
What you have sounds yucky and you don't want that crap in your lungs, plus you are having a big party soon...got a nip it!!
I never buy any of that stuff from the drug store, it doesn't help get rid of the cold, just masks the symptoms for a while. I think it's a waste of money. I go to the doctors for $15 and then get some prescriptions and free samples of prescriptions (like nasel sprays and stuff)...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
you know what i think works really well.. will clear you up as well as make you feel better. Make some hot tea, frop a hall cough drop in the tea with a little touch of sugar. The lady at work swears by this.... i was not feeling well the day before my wedding and she made that for me and WAA-LA!!! It worked! Try it... when the halls melts in the hot tea you will get that menthaledum going in your nasal passages as well as in your body!!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Dec 10 2003, 10:08 AM)Go to the doctors!!!!
What you have sounds yucky and you don't want that crap in your lungs, plus you are having a big party soon...got a nip it!!
I never buy any of that stuff from the drug store, it doesn't help get rid of the cold, just masks the symptoms for a while. I think it's a waste of money. I go to the doctors for $15 and then get some prescriptions and free samples of prescriptions (like nasel sprays and stuff)...
It hasn't reached the lungs, just the head. I think by the time I get an appointment with the Doc, it will almost be gone, unless it starts getting worse. I have to pay for my own health insurance since I am self employed so It will be alot more than $15 for a visit

If I don't feel better by the weekend I will consider the doc <_<

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Rum, whiskey, brandy, ... it all works.

What you need to get is those zinc lozenges.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts