Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll look up how long the season is on the DNR webpage and get some more info there.

I dont have a ton of money to get started, but I do have two shotguns. Is there any guide services or anyone who shows newbies the ropes? I might ask for an open seat with reasonable compensation if someone would be willing to me the show the ropes. Of course, I've never even really used a call before.

I have an Ithaca Featherweight 12ga in 2-3/4 and a 16ga. I can shoot, just never shot geese/ducks. I hunt grouse all the time, which is open on the 15th.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I would definitly encourage you to call Honker Hangers. In October, the regular season opens up. You can shoot 2 geese and 6 ducks. You will be able to get a lot of shooting in with these guys. Waterfowel hunting is very expensive if you do it yourself. Six geese decoys cost $140, and you need at least two dozen in October. Duck decoys are expensive too. Good duck and goose calls are over $100. Then you need a boat, waders, special waterfowel jacket, a good gun, etc.

Honker Hangers only cost $145, and you use all thier gear. They will let you use a Benelli Super Black Eagle (12 guage 3 1/2 inch shells) too. They have the best gear on the planet, and since you are not hunting over water, you don't need the boat or waders. You will be in a Final Approach lay out blind. Those cost about $300. The only cammo you need in that blind is a camo hat. They also do all the calling. All you have to do is show up with shot gun shells and shoot birds.

I have used these guys 3 times now, and I will do it again soon. $145 is extreamly cheaper than doing it myself, and I don't have to store all those big goose decoys. They will teach you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I've never killed a goose - done the duckies, but not goose - I think it would be fun as he** to shoot one (or more) of those beasts, but I know I won't eat the meat (tried before, not for me) - would you guys want the birds if I happen to get out and get some? Does HH clean the birds for you?

I'm keeping my eyes open for the open seat posts!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
If going with HH isn't in your plans, stick around and you'll get invites to get out and shoot some billheads. Early season goose isn't here too long, but the regular season will give you greater opportunities. Plus you're not really duck hunting unless you're breaking ice with the boat or hunting in sideways rain and snow.

Man I can't freaking wait!!!

I agree with shep tho, it's perty expensive to get into if you're just gonna try it. But I have found it closer to the dangers of cocaine... once you get some all you want is more more more.

I'd certainly be willing to duck hunt with you, but i'm just getting into goose myself, so i'm not sure I can teach you much. Going with a group like honker hangers is your best bet for a leap frog into the world of canada goosin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts