Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am buying some custom baits from him and his service is excellent. Sounds like a great guy and will report when I get the custom color baits that he completed for me in (2) days.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Jeff is a great guy had a chance to meet him in the spring and he seems like a good guy to have as a friend or even an acqaintance.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Congrats and Thanks Jeff!!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(AllEyesOnMe @ Aug 14 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More info, is this just a copy of Muskie bob's stuff or a whole new design? Interested in seeing product. These will not take me 366 days to catch a muskie will they? j/k lol, you posted it

I'd never presume to copy Bob's bucktails. He's got that design cornered and it's all his and unique to him.

The guy that taught me how to muskie fish was a Minnesota guide who was a HUGE fan of the big double 10's bucktails and I saw them catch fish. I took that mentality to my fly tying and started tying the first (that I know of anywhere) double bladed muskie flies loaded up with tons of flash and big hooks.

Circuit component Wood Electrical wiring Cable Gadget

I've been selling flies commercially for almost 10 years now, and as I've recently taken up conventional gear for muskie, my tying lends itself well to making bucktails. So now I'm coming full circle and coming back to how I learned to targe muskies- with big, honkin' flashy, thumpin' bucktails!

I'm looking to put out a top notch bucktail for muskie fishermen who know what a top notch bucktail looks like. I'm not here to cut corners, or put out an "economy" bucktail, but at the same time, come in a bit less than the national competition that you see at Cabela's and the muskie shops. There's ways to bring down costs like you see on alot of the Chinese-made bucktails; using standard Flashabou which is much more limp than Magnum or Saltwater Flashabou. You'd think the slinkier flash would flare better than the heavier, thicker flash, but it's not the case. The thicker, wider Magnum Flashabou flares better and has better action in the turbulence behind the blades.

Another important feature I'd like to highlight, is the attachment of my front hook. IMO, the "proper" means of attaching the front hook is with double split rings. Some companies use clevises to attach the front hook and clevises are meant to attach blades, not hooks. But clevises cost less. They just don't have the strength to stand up to muskie. Clevises can only spin one way, laterally around the shaft, and put some torque on them (such as a muskie does when hooked) and the clevises will bend and eventually break. They're not meant to hang big hooks for big fish. They'll work for trout and even bass, but not a 50" muskie. Using split rings allows the front hook to "float" around the shaft in all axis' and dirctions and go with the fish. The split rings give the fish less (almost none actually) leverage on the bucktail which helps keep them hooked. Plus, split rings are just ten fold stronger than clevises.

Eggplant Input device Gas Eyewear Vegetable

Another benefit of using split rings to attach the front hook is in the event you need to cut the hook for the sake of the fish, you simply put on a new hook and you're back in the game. Replacing the hook on a clevis is more in depth and usually involves taking the clevis off the post.

I also take the time to shrink wrap the rear hook to keep it rigid and trailing aft and not fouling on the foward part of the bucktail. You'll see bucktails with the rear hook dangling off the back, but you won't see them here. Here you'll see a properly set hook staying aft where it belongs.

Wood Insect Twig Eyewear Publication

I posted this yesterday, and I'll get some more pics up and running, but here's an example of what I tie. I tie in Flashabou and marabou as well. The marabou looks amazing in the water and is ideal for when you might want a more subtle approach than the Flashabou allows.

Natural material Feather Twig Creative arts Animal product

Prices for Flashabou or marabou are $20 per bucktail, and they'll sell for that at Jimmy's and Anglers Point when I get them in there next weekend.

They'll have standard colors and patterns, but if there's something out there that you want specifically- purple and green with orange blades for example, let me know and I can get it to you.

I'm currently working on a jointed bucktail built more like my flies, in that there's a front half and a rear half, and you'd be able to swap out fronts to backs and change colors, as well has giving the bucktail more action. Those are still in the trial stages....more to come......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I think "sustain" is the wrong word. LOL Maybe it's my way of justifying having my third bedroom in my house as a tying room, set up solely for that reason. And using my garage for storing my boat...and my excess tying materials. (Yeah, really...)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Hey let me know when you want me to design your new garage! lol. I just did one for a guy who, like us, has lots of toys. His old garage burned down to the ground, with a (you might wanna sit down for this) 71 mustang mach 1 in show winning condition with a very heavily influenced 351 windsor, a 81 vette with 5k orig. miles, a cadillac allante conv., and the chassis for a 67 stang (eleanor from gone in 60 seconds) that was being restored.

He now has a 4 car tandem with a hoist, parts loft and tool crib! I got a lil carried away but he loved it.

So sustain shmustain. Do it up bro!

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Aug 14 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(AllEyesOnMe @ Aug 14 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More info, is this just a copy of Muskie bob's stuff or a whole new design? Interested in seeing product. These will not take me 366 days to catch a muskie will they? j/k lol, you posted it

I'd never presume to copy Bob's bucktails. He's got that design cornered and it's all his and unique to him.

The guy that taught me how to muskie fish was a Minnesota guide who was a HUGE fan of the big double 10's bucktails and I saw them catch fish. I took that mentality to my fly tying and started tying the first (that I know of anywhere) double bladed muskie flies loaded up with tons of flash and big hooks.

I'm currently working on a jointed bucktail built more like my flies, in that there's a front half and a rear half, and you'd be able to swap out fronts to backs and change colors, as well has giving the bucktail more action. Those are still in the trial stages....more to come......

Sweet, looks good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.