Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an older SM Magnum Plus III ice auger this weekend. It's in great shape and runs like a champ. It has a Tecumseh 2 stroke engine in it that calls for 24:1 fuel/mix ratio. I assume that was conventional oil. Do you guys find any problem with me using Homelite premium synthetic in it at 40:1? Too rich or too lean? or must I stick exactly what's specified? I don't think the oils 15 years ago were as good as they are now? What do you pros think? Any help greatly appreciated ............ - Jason

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Junior58er @ Nov 17 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I picked up an older SM Magnum Plus III ice auger this weekend. It's in great shape and runs like a champ. It has a Tecumseh 2 stroke engine in it that calls for 24:1 fuel/mix ratio. I assume that was conventional oil. Do you guys find any problem with me using Homelite premium synthetic in it at 40:1? Too rich or too lean? or must I stick exactly what's specified? I don't think the oils 15 years ago were as good as they are now? What do you pros think? Any help greatly appreciated ............ - Jason

Jason, I do know that you cannot mix synthetic oil & non synthetic together. You have to use one or the other. I would find a good 2 cycle oil (petrolium or synthetic) and stick to the fuel/oil mix required for that engine.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The guy that owned it had it one season from his brother and he doesn't know what is in it now. If it has synthetic in it now, can I go back to a conventional or vice versa. Wait till the tank is almost empty?

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Junior58er @ Nov 17 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The guy that owned it had it one season from his brother and he doesn't know what is in it now. If it has synthetic in it now, can I go back to a conventional or vice versa. Wait till the tank is almost empty?

YES, AS EMPTY AS POSSIBLE. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHATS IN IT. START WITH FRESH GAS WITH WHICH EVER OIL YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH. THEN STAY WITH IT. IF IT HAS AN IN-LINE FUEL FILTER, CHANGE IT. IF IT LOOKS OLD.

SYNTHETIC AS YOU KNOW, IS A MAN MADE PRODUCT. PETROLIUM (CONVENTIONAL) IS NOT. THEY DO NOT MIX TOGETHER.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(aaa @ Nov 17 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just give her an oil change, and My buddy danny cambell the auto teacher at anchor bay claims you can mix them together safely.

ITS A GAS/OIL MIX...THERE IS NO "OIL CHANGE" IF YOU MEANT BY CONVENTIONAL MEANS. AND YOU'RE RIGHT, YOU CAN USE ONE AFTER THE OTHER. BUT CHOOSE ONE OR THE OTHER. ALL I AM SAYING IS, YOU CAN'T MIX PETROLIUM AND SYNTHETIC TOGETHER TO USE AT THE SAME TIME IN THE SAME GAS.

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Nov 17 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Junior58er @ Nov 17 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The guy that owned it had it one season from his brother and he doesn't know what is in it now. If it has synthetic in it now, can I go back to a conventional or vice versa. Wait till the tank is almost empty?

YES, AS EMPTY AS POSSIBLE. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHATS IN IT. START WITH FRESH GAS WITH WHICH EVER OIL YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH. THEN STAY WITH IT. IF IT HAS AN IN-LINE FUEL FILTER, CHANGE IT. IF IT LOOKS OLD.

SYNTHETIC AS YOU KNOW, IS A MAN MADE PRODUCT. PETROLIUM (CONVENTIONAL) IS NOT. THEY DO NOT MIX TOGETHER.

Synthetic is not man made, it is still petrolium based just much more refined! Check out BOB THE OIL GUY web site everything you need to know about all oil and more, these guy's take there oil as serious as we do our fishing lol!

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE(Freek @ Nov 18 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Nov 17 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Junior58er @ Nov 17 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The guy that owned it had it one season from his brother and he doesn't know what is in it now. If it has synthetic in it now, can I go back to a conventional or vice versa. Wait till the tank is almost empty?

Synthetic is not man made, it is still petrolium based just much more refined! Check out BOB THE OIL GUY web site everything you need to know about all oil and more, these guy's take there oil as serious as we do our fishing lol!

Synthetic is a chemically engineered man made product...it is not petrolium or crude oil based just more refined!! Maybe you should read your own info before you post...just saying

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE(Fish Burn @ Nov 18 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Freek @ Nov 18 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Nov 17 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Junior58er @ Nov 17 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The guy that owned it had it one season from his brother and he doesn't know what is in it now. If it has synthetic in it now, can I go back to a conventional or vice versa. Wait till the tank is almost empty?

Synthetic is a chemically engineered man made product...it is not petrolium or crude oil based just more refined!! Maybe you should read your own info before you post...just saying
%
OK LOOK DOUCH BAG most of the "synthetic" oils on the market ARE petrolium based and or have some sort of crude oil componet to them, and yes there are 100% synthetic's out there but most are not! Heck there is even 100% synthetic gas out there "man made" germany used it in WWII, i am not sayn that 100% synthetic do not exsist! 5 posts and your a know it all........ SWEET.............

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You can use a synthetic like Optimal. One mix fits all from 24 to 100:1. Can be used in all air-cooled engines. 3 oz. per 2.5 gal. of gas. Burns very clean. Been using it for over 20 years on all my 2-cycle engines.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
If it says 24 to 1 stay with 24 to 1 don't try to change the manufacturers recomended mixing ratio or you will pay dearly, i.e. fouled plugs, sticky carb or worse burned out motor. I would do as jackie recomended and stick with either synthetic or regular. Don't mix them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
24:1 was recommended back in the day when they recommended you mix SAE 30 with the gas. with the modern two stroke oils by makers like amsoil, i would recommend 36:1 for two reasons- the new oils are very good, and you are fishing on the ice where it is very COLD. too much oil and she may not want to start, and then you're bummin'. you'll never get up the RPM's or heat to do any damage. i run 50:1 and good fuel on my ice bikes and zing them old girls out all day and have yet to melt one down. and yes i work on my own two stroke motors, and always have. good luck on the hard water. DISCLAIMER- not an expert, i just play one on t.v. stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
QUOTE(Junior58er @ Nov 20 2009, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yea, I was thinking about going with 36:1 with the synthetic. Thanks!

You do not mix synthetic 36:1. Mix according to the directions and it will cover 24:1-100:1 ratio

Most will be 6.4oz to 5gal, 3.2 oz to 2.5 gal...... or you can buy a small packet that will make 1 gal. for about a $1 I buy mine by the gal. and it will make 100gal of mix.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not that it matters at all but interesting none the less, back when i used to race bikes during dyno testing we once played with fuel/oil mix ratios and beleave it or not 50/1 produced more hp bottom to top than 32/1! Would have NEVER figured thatat all true story. OH yea bike was 91 cr 250 oil was yamalube R

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(walleye mike @ Nov 20 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Junior58er @ Nov 20 2009, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yea, I was thinking about going with 36:1 with the synthetic. Thanks!

You do not mix synthetic 36:1. Mix according to the directions and it will cover 24:1-100:1 ratio

Most will be 6.4oz to 5gal, 3.2 oz to 2.5 gal...... or you can buy a small packet that will make 1 gal. for about a $1 I buy mine by the gal. and it will make 100gal of mix.
Wait! Now I'm confused? My Homelite 2 cycle oil bottle has a squeeze measurement like stabil. You squeeze it to the line for 50:1 more for 40:1 and more for 36:1. I'm confused when you say not to go 36:1 when you say it cover 24:1 to 100:1. The two cycle synthetic oil I bought isn't a certain mix until I measure it within the bottle.......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts